PDA

View Full Version : Forum Reorganization

BriEOD
06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
TT Admin,

I read your thread regarding the restructuring of the TT website: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36107.

I have a comment/concern and I'm sure some of the other old timers (users that have been on the various iterations of the TT site for 10+ years such as myself) will chime in as well. Since I've been on here since about 2000, this will be the 5th "reorganization" of the site.

When we moved to this formats predecessor we lost all of the photos. While this may not be a big deal for some threads, it totally marginalizes others. For instance, I had created a tutorial for upgrading to electronic ignition with about 25 photos as a step-by-step how to. Without the photos the thread was useless. Fortunately, I still had the photos and was able to reload them. On the other hand, I had created another thread about a trailer modification and did not retain the photos on my machine.

Please keep this in mind as you migrate and again thanks to MC for hosting the site. I appreciate and enjoy this site very much!

east tx skier
06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for starting this, Brian. I would add that my concern is that doing too much reorganizing has the potential to render many (many) very useful in-site hyperlinks useless. Please take that into consideration before moving things around.

Sodar
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
My email to Phil this AM.

Phil,

I think that your attempt to reorganize the forum is great. It is something that I have been balking about for years. However, I think that this switch over needs to be done methodically and carefully. In my opinion, the Honda forum you wish to model our site behind is not the best for TeamTalk. The membership size of the Honda site allow and requires an enormous variety of topics and subtopics... TeamTalk's community is just not that large and cannot afford a multitude of topics and subtopics. I think we do need to add topics such as ballast, a MarketPlace TOPIC and a stereo section. We also need to separate the watersports threads into Waterskiing, Wakeboarding, Surfing and Hydrofoiling.

Lastly, the key to the whole site is enabling the search function to better operate or we need to provide a google search function as EastTexasSkier did, only directly on the TeamTalk pages. The vBulletin search engine is pretty much useless, unless you are very well versed in the workarounds and know exactly what you are looking for. Harold can attest to the functionality of the Google search engine, also.

There is tons of great info on TeamTalk, but much of the info that is useful for a 1989 ProStar is also useful for a 2010 ProStar. I'd hate to create sections that would hinder a 2010 owner from looking/searching for info in the 1989 ProStar section and vice versus. I think with boats, the topics can be much more general than the specific "generations" of Hondas.

-Cameron

M-Funf
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I guess I don't understand what's wrong with the site now that you feel a need to "improve" it. Unless there are issues with how the site is performing, why change it?

Sodar
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I guess I don't understand what's wrong with the site now that you feel a need to "improve" it. Unless there are issues with how the site is performing, why change it?

That was essentially what I was trying to say.

We need to add a few sections and fix the search engine. Other than that, leave it be.

scott023
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
That was essentially what I was trying to say.

We need to add a few sections and fix the search engine. Other than that, leave it be.

I agree with Sodar...

Kyle's_prostar205
06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I agree as well. Fix the small stuff but don't reinvent the wheel.

SkiDog
06-15-2010, 01:53 PM
How about adding a 'new posts' button to the bottom of the page?!

JimN
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
How about adding a 'new posts' button to the bottom of the page?!

What's wrong with the one at the top of the page?

BrianM
06-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree with Sodar, EastTX and Bri. Not see the need for a huge change but could see the usefulness of additional topics. If a complete changeover eliminates photos and brings on a bunch of broken links it will kill the usefulness of this forum. Don't reinvent the wheel... again!

east tx skier
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Agreed. Tweak rather than clear the decks.

Heck, just add a stereo section and call it a day.

JohnE
06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Add me to the list of 'it doesn't need a big overhaul' opinions. Brian makes a great point of the lost photos.

jimmer2880
06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Same here! Just make the couple tweaks already stated.

Sidewinder
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Agree with just a few changes. Bring back the TMC Google style search. That was a tremendously useful feature.

Drastically redoing the site could ruin it... not sure how many of you follow wakeworld, but the site hasn't been the same since the overhaul. Traffic is probably half of what it used to be.

SkiDog
06-15-2010, 06:36 PM
What's wrong with the one at the top of the page?

You like scrolling all the way back to the top of the page every time? I don't. What would it hurt to put a 'new post' button @ the bottom of the page next to the 'reply' button?

Footin
06-15-2010, 06:58 PM

I hope they do not change this site too much, I just figured out how to use it this way.

suedv
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I haven't been on here for quite a while. I saw this thread and saw the possiblity of losing the photos. That would be bad. Please don't do something that messes with the photos.

JimN
06-15-2010, 07:44 PM
You like scrolling all the way back to the top of the page every time? I don't. What would it hurt to put a 'new post' button @ the bottom of the page next to the 'reply' button?

I flip my finger upward on the scroll bar and it goes right to the top- it's no problem for me, but I use Firefox and that does some things better/different from IE. I guess that whole row of buttons could be moved but when it opens the page, it's at the top. Whatever- I think the site works pretty well as is but a few tweaks wouldn't hurt.

Hoosier Bob
06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Does this mean we may be able to bring back the "Hoosier Bob What are You Drinking?" thread?:D

SkiDog
06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Does this mean we may be able to bring back the "Hoosier Bob What are You Drinking?" thread?:D

Maybe they'll move it to the DS!

Hoosier Bob
06-15-2010, 08:27 PM
I wonder if it exists anywhere?:confused:Maybe they'll move it to the DS!

BriEOD
06-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I strongly agree with Doug. This site needs some tweaks rather than a large overhaul. Also, I'd like to think this would be more advantageous to MC from a dollar and sense stand point.

I would like to see a stereo section. Additionally, I'd like something on the front page--photo included--showing new photos loaded and new items listed in the market. The weather, top poster and popular tags can go.

My :twocents:

SkiDog
06-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I wonder if it exists anywhere?:confused:

Nah, probably not. Once the powers @ be got a hold of that thread, it died a miserable death!:(

east tx skier
06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I strongly agree with Doug. This site needs some tweaks rather than a large overhaul. Also, I'd like to think this would be more advantageous to MC from a dollar and sense stand point.

I would like to see a stereo section. Additionally, I'd like something on the front page--photo included--showing new photos loaded and new items listed in the market. The weather, top poster and popular tags can go.

My :twocents:

Here here on the new items in the market place. There was a guy posting his MC for sale on planetnautique the other day because he didn't realize we still had a marketplace on this site. Fortunately, JohnE was over there to remind him.

SkiDog
06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Here here on the new items in the market place. There was a guy posting his MC for sale on planetnautique the other day because he didn't realize we still had a marketplace on this site. Fortunately, JohnE was over there to remind him.

What the hell was JohnE doing @ PlanetNatank's site?:(

DemolitionMan
06-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I would hate to see us lose everything like we did last time when we went from the old forum to the current one.

DemolitionMan
06-15-2010, 09:58 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Turncoat.:D

Jesus_Freak
06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Add me to the list of 'it doesn't need a big overhaul' opinions.

Agreed............

thatsmrmastercraft
06-16-2010, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't mind the updated format if all the pics and info transferred. Certainly don't want new and improved at the cost of losing all the great old info.

Craig
06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I [insert whatever integer we are on]_nd the comments that the forum does NOT need a major overhaul.

I would strongly oppose any change that removes any of the old content (pictures and/or posts).

CiscoStu
06-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I haven't been here a long time, so as a relative newbie, I do agree that something has to be done about the org structure... The only way to find anything useful is to search it, and then you miss anything that's not part of your search. If there were a way (and there are lots of ways) to organize things into topics, it would make finding "like" info a lot easier. Imagine clicking on 'Stereos', then 'CMD4' to find all the posts, questions, uploads, etc about your specific stereo...

Because of the unique nature of MasterCraft products, there also needs to be a correlation engine. For example, an X-30 is mechanically identical in every way to a Maristar 230. If you have a section for 'X' boats and a section for Maristars, there needs to be a way to make sure that they are correlatable. Otherwise a lot of good info will be lost unless you know to look in both areas.

I do agree that losing any of the info that's already here would be very disappointing - there's a lot of very good history here, and that's where the real value comes from. It's also the entire point of these boards - to share the info with a community of like-minded enthusiasts.

It's just sort of hard to dig through... How often have new people (like me) posted a question only to have someone answer, "do a search..." Well, duh. The search didn't find the exact result, so the question is asked again. And again. And again. If there was one common thread on how to check/adjust/rebuild your stuffing box, it would have ALL of the comments and updates ever made in that regard. I bet there are at least 50 threads here regarding that topic.

We have just implemented a Wiki-based knowledge sharing portal at work, and I love the format. It's drag-and-drop easy to post pictures, documents, videos (yes, VIDEOS) whatever. It's truly the next-gen solution to this old 'BBS' style board. It would be great to see something like that implemented.

My last comment revolves around the public appearance of the board. If MC wants to make it truly useful to the internet community, it needs a revamp. To an outsider, it appears unorganized and a little messy. When you search for stuff on Wakeworld (another great example), it looks user friendly, whereas TT isn't really. So, more people click on those links as a result...

Anyway, as always, just my $0.02...

oxberger
06-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Bob, that was one of my favorite threads to read. Hilarious! I thought they merged it into another and now I can't find either one. BTW, I'm not an alcoholic just an alcohol abuser. :D

brucemac
06-18-2010, 12:32 PM
from what i'm reading and based on my limited time on the forum, if you fix the search function and maybe add/re-org a couple topics/subtopics; i.e., "stereos", "wake surfing", "wakeboarding", etc, you'd be golden.

imo the only thing that's really broken is the search function.

this forum has been a tremendous resource for me, not only technically, but i've also met a lot of good folks here as well.

thanks mastercraft for footin' the bill. i appreciate it. just don't ever forget it's the members that make it what it is. :)

TX.X-30 fan
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Close the nursery. Bob that was funny and went like an F18 right over.

Hoosier Bob
06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Heck I can't even remember it has been so long. I do know it was as much fun as I have had! Was it called "Hoosier what ya drinkin'" or something else? I know when the original one was closed and removed I lost around 1,000 posts! I have more deleted and removed posts than Eastie, Harold and Erk have posts put together! Staristar started it anyway! :D

JohnE
06-19-2010, 06:34 PM

I was looking for a used MC because the Marketplace here is kind of obscure.;)

Truth is I do spend some time over at planet nautique. I'm a MC guy and they know it. But it's really all about having fun on the water. I don't get into the brand comparison. I love learning about different boats. I've seen a few others from this site over there too.

Hoosier Bob
06-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Not me John! Not enough beer in the world to make me hang with those compromising boat owners! Lol! I run solo regardless of what someone owns. I just don't like people!;)I was looking for a used MC because the Marketplace here is kind of obscure.;)

Truth is I do spend some time over at planet nautique. I'm a MC guy and they know it. But it's really all about having fun on the water. I don't get into the brand comparison. I love learning about different boats. I've seen a few others from this site over there too.

SkiDog
06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I wish we'd get MORE & BETTER smilies, and be able to use for than 4 in a post! Having to go back and delete smilies in a quoted post is no fun either~!:(

scott023
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I wish we'd get MORE & BETTER smilies, and be able to use for than 4 in a post! Having to go back and delete smilies in a quoted post is no fun either~!:(

Here here.

Hoosier Bob
06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Like you ever smile dip****!:D

SkiDog
06-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Like you ever smile dip****!:D

I'd smile more if you'd show up every now & then!:D

madmuffin
07-12-2010, 01:52 AM
"Wakesurfing" sub-forum please under Watersports. Thank you -

CantRepeat
07-12-2010, 07:52 AM
I brought this up in the suggestions thread but,

What do the swimsuit and random photos thread have to do with General Mastercraft? Why were they moved from Off Topic when both of these threads are clearly Off Topic and have nothing to do with MC in general?

Add the boat ramp bloopers thread. How is that in anyway an MC topic?

smoran11
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I would like to recomend a forum format like www.rhinoforums.net
I think it is well laid out and easy to navigate.

dgilbreath
08-03-2010, 11:51 PM
As a owner of a MC for 24 years finding this board was like finding the holy grail. I found it in May of this year when I was having issues with my baby. Everyone who has posted help has been a treasure find. Now I am excited about the off season for restorations I can't wait to do to my MC. There is so much shared information that I hate to see a reorg lose the information and pictures that are available. Please be careful in the transistion. I am a avid reader to this board. I am now trying to figure out how to convience the wife to buy a second MC.

atlfootr
08-04-2010, 03:35 PM

ski_king
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Well said.
For once I don't disagree with anything you said.

MarkP
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Well said.

I think our best bet is to have every thread cut off after the 25th post... THAT way it won't deteriorate.

Hoosier Bob
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
As long as we keep the Boat Launch Bloopers and the Swimsuit thread I got no issue! I learned how to oil my teak, back in only one direction and downsize any pics that I posted in kindergarten. All I need to know! Oh, my boat also pulls to the right! ;)

ski_king
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I think our best bet is to have every thread cut off after the 25th post... THAT way it won't deteriorate.

Holy cow, looks whos here!

Getting out in the boat any Mark?

Maristar210
08-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Well said.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Denny

I love it !!!!

flipper
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Well said.
I would have put at least one more . in there myself:D

MarkP
08-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Holy cow, looks whos here!

Getting out in the boat any Mark?Just looking in. Bri and Doug making good points, Again..

BriEOD
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Mark:wavey:

east tx skier
08-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Just looking in. Bri and Doug making good points, Again..

How do you do, sir!? Good to see you! Hope all is well in PeeAyyyye!

Jetlag
08-08-2010, 12:52 PM
When we moved to this formats predecessor we lost all of the photos. While this may not be a big deal for some threads, it totally marginalizes others. For instance, I had created a tutorial for upgrading to electronic ignition with about 25 photos as a step-by-step how to. Without the photos the thread was useless. Fortunately, I still had the photos and was able to reload them. On the other hand, I had created another thread about a trailer modification and did not retain the photos on my machine.

I would like to see them re-organize and change layout of the site because when i search for info for my stars & strips i must do the same search on different sections. I also would like to see them upgrade the software with few more features like youtube ( example of upgrade CanadianPWC (http://www.canadianpwc.com/showthread.php?t=2443) ) and you shouldnt loose any info or pictures if done right.

Lots of great info but keep it simple.
Jetlag

FoggyNogginz
08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I agree that a re-org is in order for better searching, and I love the http://driveaccord.net site for simplicity. This site has owners manuals, parts, and recalls by model & year too which is something that I really enjoy. Other well sorted sites include http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php which also has $pon$ored sections and regional forums too. I build these types of sites for enterprises & governments on a daily basis, and simplicity is the number one key to successfully engaging your audience.

The content and the pool of knowledge here is EXCELLENT, but I always feel like I have to search multile ways to find new and interesting content on TMC, whereas some of these other sites do a better job of making it easier for me to "stumble upon" relevant information. There is a little bit of marketing involved in the thought process of designing these sites, and TMC has merely been a victim of its own success as we have outgrown the original hierarchy with the wealth of information available.

Looking forward to seeing this progress through the winter, which is really the only time that any of us should be spending such a large amount of time in front of the computer! ;-)

THanks!

FoggyNogginz
08-16-2010, 09:33 AM
P.S. I also agree that no content should be removed. The content is the valuable piece that people come here for in the first place. Data storage is cheap, and all we are storing is text and images. If you want some cheap places to host this let me know, but this appears to be running on an older version of Community Server (??), which has really come along way in recent years with reduced hardware requirements and much better capacity support.

JimN
08-16-2010, 09:41 AM
One thing, IMO, that adds to the bulk of the threads and makes it harder to search for topics is people coming here and not searching for the topic they need to address and they create a new thread that uses terminology that's not really correct. "Running bad" is a common description when it should be more specific. I realize that not everyone can, or will, do the troubleshooting but spending a half hour looking through a group of well-organized topics would probably give them the info they need. Another problem that I see is people not paying attention to the recommendations that checking fuel pressure & spark, visual inspection and making sure the kill switch is in place would account for about half of the issues we see.

There's a reason auto service shops say "Bring it in" when someone calls to ask why their car doesn't run right- all they can do over the phone is guess and that's all we can do here. Most of the time, more info is needed before a single answer can be offered.

The topics and FAQs need to be organized in a way that makes it easier to find the most common issues. Then, people need to use them to make it work.

Hoosier Bob
08-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Have you noticed that every thread with a reference of said search comes up? Maybe if it is not in the title it should not come up! If I say in the swimsuit thread my boat is running bad and you search running bad it comes up! Just sayin and obviously I am bored which I whi I chose to respond to you tonight Jim! :D PS I did not read your entire post as you lost me at well-organized!One thing, IMO, that adds to the bulk of the threads and makes it harder to search for topics is people coming here and not searching for the topic they need to address and they create a new thread that uses terminology that's not really correct. "Running bad" is a common description when it should be more specific. I realize that not everyone can, or will, do the troubleshooting but spending a half hour looking through a group of well-organized topics would probably give them the info they need. Another problem that I see is people not paying attention to the recommendations that checking fuel pressure & spark, visual inspection and making sure the kill switch is in place would account for about half of the issues we see.

There's a reason auto service shops say "Bring it in" when someone calls to ask why their car doesn't run right- all they can do over the phone is guess and that's all we can do here. Most of the time, more info is needed before a single answer can be offered.

The topics and FAQs need to be organized in a way that makes it easier to find the most common issues. Then, people need to use them to make it work.

TTAdmin
09-01-2010, 01:43 PM
great feedback...keep it coming! Currently in the process of creating the project document that describes the future state of TT. Your input is valued. Thanks, phil

macattack
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
great feedback...keep it coming! Currently in the process of creating the project document that describes the future state of TT. Your input is valued. Thanks, phil

Bump...specifically, the ideas for improving the search function/better categories. Maybe a DIY section? Just spent way too much time reading 167 treads from a search on "heater install"; the majority of the threads were not helpful. It would be great to have one "install" thread that includes pics and can be updated w/relevant changes when required.

Current search results/# of threads of common DIY type projects using the following search terms:

- Depth finder install: 41
- Heated seat install: 12
- Heater install: 167
- Perfect pass install: 160
- Shower install: 96
- Tow bar install: 500

If you drop the word “install” the number of threads increases significantly; e.g., heater, 500!

Great site, just need to tweak the way we can easily find relevant info...better categories/search function…tks, mac

macattack
02-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Bump for Phil/TT Admin...status on any forum reorganization? tks, mac

Sodar
02-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Not going to happen for some time. Everyone at MC is very busy with Boat Show season.