PDA

View Full Version : Vibration

gc9538
06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Have 2004 Prostar 197. While out with son's classmates on the water with about 6 in the boat pulling two more on tube we developed a vibration. First thought it was in steering as it seemed to telegraph through steering wheel. Checked rudder which has same play as new. (Close to dealer so I checked) Has new cable from a year ago and it checks OK. Went back out Sunday to get familiar with vibration again and it was gone. Boat ran out great for about 4-5 minutes. WHile running back to dock felt a bump and vibration was back. Engine seems to be running strong, no misses or hesitation. From other sites and post here I have several possible ideas. Could it be the stuffing box I think they called it. Seems odd that the vibration was there, then gone, then back. Tranny fluid is clean and full. Just looking for some direction. Thanks

ntidsl
06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
give it five minutes...lots of smart people on here...Did you check under the boat when you pulled out? no sign of anything wrapped around shaft? hmmm....

gc9538
06-15-2010, 12:57 PM
We checked driveshaft for bend, replaced prop with spare, checked for wear in the lower mount where the driveshaft travels through just ahead of prop. No problems with any of those components. With this being somewhat intermittent it makes me worry that there is a bearing or bushing in the tranny that might be going. I certainly hope that is not the case. Thanks for your input and help.

gc9538
06-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Problem solved. Despite changing props after initial vibration became evident, it was finally determined that the replacement prop hit something (Turtle suspected) after install. I had traveled only 1/2 mile arouund the lake when the vibration which had disapeared showed back up after feeling a slight bump. Had prop #1 reconditioned and back to happy boating. HOpe this helps anyone who may encounter similar problem.