PDA

View Full Version : V-drive Transmission oil

Tom023
08-20-2004, 01:14 PM
I have an '01 v-drive (630V) and have always used ATF as specified in the manual. I now see MC recommends 15/40 motor oil. I read the Mobil 1 post below looking for a reason for the change but did not see one. Does anybody know why the changed the specification and the benefits? If making the switch, is a synthetic ok? Should it be changed twice to ensure all ATF is out, or will a little mixed in do any harm?

Kell
08-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Tom023,

I also have a v-drive (HSW 630 V1) in my 99 Maristar 210, and I also saw that the new specs call for oil rather than ATF. However, I would stick with the ATF as it appears that Hurth now markets the v-drive tranny under a different model name (ZF 630 IV), so it could be the same internal "guts" or it could be different.

http://zf-marine.com/

NeilM
08-22-2004, 11:47 PM
I THINK I read somewhere that the switch to motor oil was because owners were complaining about the 'gear noise' - same tranny, but runs quieter on motor oil. Anybody else recall this?

Tom023
08-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Well since I have 5 qts. of ATF still sitting in the garage, this year's change will be ATF. I don't think I have any gear noise, sounds the same as it always has. I guess I won't know unless I make the change to oil.

Neil, do you run ATF or oil?