PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charging Issues

jdjoye
06-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I just recentley purchased a 2001 X star. I had it all checked out by a registered Mastercraft mechanic and he said that it look in good shape. Just recently, I replaced my battery because my old battery went dead. Well, 3 weeks later, my new battery is dead. I thought I left something on in the boat, so I swapped batteries with my father's pontoon boat and within an hour, that battery wouldn't start my boat. I am pretty sure it is my alternator, but has someone else experienced this problem?

segiantsfan
06-16-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm not an expert but the alternator sounds like your problem. I'm actually reviewing posts right now because I'm having electrical problems as well. I have a 2005 PS190. I turned on and off the boat multiple times on Sunday with no problems. Then I turned the key and the boat wouldn't start. All of the aux devices came up, but no turnover on the engine. I'm thinking it is the battery and looking for suggestions for a good marine battery to replace mine.

Dylan
06-16-2010, 02:01 PM
So if you charge the battery, it starts up fine? Check the voltage engine off, and on. You should see +/-12.7 for a fully charged battery engine off, and a higher number with the motor running. Do you have a battery switch?

Matt L.
06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
check all connections for corrosion.

btriantos
06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Run your engine at idle and then at 1500 rpm's and look at your voltage meter on your dash. Does it move positively or stay negative? If the latter, then your alternator is the problem..but make are as noted above you check all lines and remove all corrosion and check again.