PDA

View Full Version : Teak Swim Platform

Gamble
06-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, got the boat out today for the first time this year..........finally getting to enjoy it after 2 years of rehab from a crash in 08 at work. Boat ran great, got to do some boarding for a while, and noticed the teak swim platform has a slight rough spot that was put there by the fin on the wakeboard............one of my cronies put the board on his feet while on the plaform, and when he jumped in, it more or less bruised the teak, if that makes sense. It has a rough spot about the size of a quarter or two. Question is, what can I do to smooth it out? I re-oiled the whole thing after we got back, but it still shows up. I'm sure someone can be of help. Thanks in advance! P.S. I was thinking about using steel wool and then re-oiling, but wanted some expert advice from y'all first!

Thrall
06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Sand it down. For a blemish I'm not sure I'd sand the whole deck down, but I've gone over small spots on my old deck with 80-100grit, then 240grit. Seems to "seal" the grain back up, at the expense of leaving a small depression in the wood.

joecarew3
06-14-2010, 01:22 PM
I just had a brother do the same exact thing. After I gave him a verbal lashing I decided the best remedy to fix it is a little sanding and oiling. I had to do this once last year as well. I sanded out the rough spot and around it to feather it out. A simple project that really didn't take that long. Looked like new last time I did it. I need to just trade the brother in now.