PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Cooler leaks...

FrankSchwab
06-29-2005, 01:37 AM
and I hate having trannys running around the house...

Last week, I hit the throttle when we got to the no-wake buoys, and I got RPM's, but no go. Bad news.
Checked the transmission fluid level - the stick was dry. Put in a pint; the stick was still dry. Put in the rest of the quart; thought there might have been a spot on the bottom of the stick, but I didn't want to overfill, and I didn't realize how much my transmission holds (4 liters). So off we went; while floating and letting the kids swim, I checked again; still dry, so I dumped in another quart, wondering if the things was going to explode.

Got it home, didn't think I'd seen two quarts of oil in the bilge (figured that would be a real easy thing to notice), so started wondering where it could go. Pulled the transmission cooler, it looked OK, but I didn't trust it. Clamped on some hoses, put 20 pounds of water pressure in it. It didn't leak down immediately, but when I came back after a couple of minutes, there was zero pressure, and water in the chamber. Sigh. Guess Skidim will be getting a call in the morning.

So, how many of you have had cooler problems? Common, or not? I just feel bad about dumping 2 quarts of oil into the local lake over the past several weeks.

/frank

JDK
06-29-2005, 02:44 AM
Did you drain the water from the cooler when you winterized your boat last fall? It sounds like you might have ice damage to the oil tubes inside the 'bottle'......it freezes in Phoenix sometimes, right?

jimmer2880
06-29-2005, 07:16 AM
The only troubles I've heard of are either from freezing, or fittings.

JimN
06-29-2005, 08:15 AM
The transmission cooler can be repaired by any radiator repair shop.

tall_ andy
06-29-2005, 09:21 AM
I think I found my problem...............Did not winterize my tranny cooler last year :eek:
Now can this be repaired or should I give skidim a call
Thanks

FrankSchwab
06-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Guys.

No freezing in Phoenix this year; but I bought the boat from a man who'd just brought it back from Massachussetts where he'd been living for a couple of years.

Guess that explains that!

/frank