PDA

View Full Version : 1994 prostar 190 Dash

dIrtrider14
06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
hi i have a 94 190 prostar and everything has been replaced in the interior except the dash...i dont know what to do about this...all the stock mount holes are either ripped out or its getting close to everytime im out on boat it i hit a wake hard the damn dash falls out...anybody have a fix for this? my neighbor owns south flordia master craft and he cant get a new dash... thanks keith....

oldairboater
06-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Got someone to build me one from ideas here.

titleist93mc
06-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I have the same things going on with mine as well. All holes seem to be stripped or broken - especially in the switch and button housing. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

zekedog
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Ditto on my 92 PS190.

helton333
06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I am just guessing - can you lay a think layer of fiberglass over the backside to resurface it, cutting out the holes, to give it rigidity??

oldairboater
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
That was what I was going to do if I couldn't get one made. I was afraid that it would get too thick and heavy. I also didn't like the way it screwed to the surrounding dash. All of those places where there was a screw was breaking loose under the vinyl. I ended up taking flat aluminum and putting a bend into two pieces and bolting that to the dash floor. I then threaded both pieces---the dash is now held in place by two stainless screws. While I was reworking the dash I added a second automatic float switch independent of the bilge pump and put it on a red warning bulb. Green light comes on when bilge pump comes on and I have a green light at the switch and on the left side of the dash. Red light is on the independent float switch that is set to go off an inch later then the bilge pump. If I get a red and a green it is time to investigate the bilge.I am just guessing - can you lay a think layer of fiberglass over the backside to resurface it, cutting out the holes, to give it rigidity??

88vaprostar
06-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Nice job oldair. Having same problem with my 88 PS190. Used plastic epoxy on back of dash over cracks and worn out dash mount holes. Worked pretty good but some cracks are reappearing after 2 summers of use. Local MC dealer thinks that some of the X9 model dashes could be modified to use on late 80's -mid90's Prostars. Will have this looked at next time it is in for maintenance.

Luv2Ski
06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Had the same problem on my 88 Prostar with numerous cracks such that the vinyl covering was the primary component holding the plastic together. I put two layers of fiberglass on the backside around the gauge holes and three layers over all the screw holes which I re-drilled after the glass set (only two of the original screw holes were intact). Process took about 45 minutes total labor and I believe will last as adhesion appears excellent - time will tell.

jimmer2880
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
There is a product used by airplane guys that I used on my Jeep windshield. It's called rivnut. It's basically a pop-rivet nut. Then you use screws. Kind of like the original nuts that MC used. I had good luck with them on my Jeep, and will order some to fit my MC.

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/