PDA

View Full Version : Stainless props?

CruisinGA
06-13-2010, 05:20 PM
So I find myself looking at props again since I hit one of the many sticks and logs still floating (lurking) in our lake due to the spring water rise.

My current prop is the stock 13x13 OJ 4 blade that I assume came on our '02 X9. It was repaired by OJ in the off season, however, it really should be a spare prop as it was too damaged to be repaired to 100%. Now that it has been hit again, it really needs to be a spare prop.

Not looking to change props yet, maybe if I add more ballast in the future.

So can anyone comment on the differences between a stainless prop and the standard NibrAl that most seem to run? I'm curious and I've seen a few deals on some stainless props.

I would love to just call up Eric @ OJ and have him send me a new replacement, but I'm balking at the $400 price tag.

ttu
06-13-2010, 05:53 PM
if you have that much debris in the lake, there is no way i would put a ss prop on. hitting something could bend the prop shaft or do damage to the tranny.

might check on ski-it-again.com and see if there are any niberal props that will work.

when had my *oomba outback, it came with a ss prop. i hit a floating log and it got caught between the prop and the hull and did a lot of fiberglass damage along with bending the prop shaft.

CruisinGA
06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Most of the year there is little to no debris, but in the spring and early summer as the water is rising, there is a LOT of debris in the part of the lake immediately around our house, so I guess a stainless prop is out of the question.

I forgot about ski-it-again, there was one prop on there that fit the bill, sent the seller a message.

Jerseydave
06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Chances are if you hit something with a stainless prop, you stand a good chance of bending the shaft too. With the new CNC props these days, I don't think you will gain much performance with a stainless prop.

Talk to Eric @ OJ if you plan to add ballast to your boat. He can suggest the best prop for you.

russlars
06-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Used to run a stainless prop and still have it as a back up. I've always heard it said that if you hit something big with a stainless you are probably going to do some major damage. However, a stainless will chew through the small stuff and come out looking brand new, whereas the Nibral will dent and ding up and lose their balance.

CruisinGA
06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a stainless prop is definitely not for me, with as high a chance as we have of hitting something. I'd rather have a slightly out of balance/dinged NIBRAL than a bent strut/driveshaft.

I talked with Eric about props for my boat when OJ was repairing my original, and he suggested that the stock prop was appropriate for the amount of ballast I run in my boat. If/when I add anymore, I'll certainly be giving him a call.

Both my leads on 2nd hand props fell through, one was a 3-blade and the other had already sold... :(

JerryW
06-15-2010, 08:59 AM
For what it's worth, we have a 4 blade SS OJ prop on our '02 X-9, it came standard with the LQ-9 engine. We're on Hartwell which can be pretty trashy at times, and I've hit something hard enough to bend the prop shaft strut slightly, but never had any problems with the prop getting damaged. The '02's had the tapered prop shaft with a key on both ends, and I would think the key would shear before before the prop would be damaged, or the transmission, especially if you used a brass key.

atlfootr
06-15-2010, 09:13 AM
With ALL the stuff your hitting out there, maybe you should be using one of these

http://www.instructables.com/image/FHC7D5CFT7PLBD4/fischertechnik-Rubber-Band-Powered-Vehicle.jpg
It's a rubber made prop and suppose to be indestructible :uglyhamme

rd1900
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I doubt those keys in your shaft will shear first. Your tapered prop and a tapered shaft is a damn strong connection when connected by a tight nut.

I would sure rather replace a bent prop made from a softer material (like NiBrAl) than deal with the damage up the driveline from a stiffer prop.

CruisinGA
06-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Stainless prop is out of the question. Thanks for the input.

I'm pretty vigilent about keeping an eye out for logs, but still managed to hit one that was floating just under the surface.

I was planning on staying with OJ because Eric has been very helpful and they did a great job rebuilding my original prop, but another TeamTalker sold me an Acme 475 for a good price that worked really well for him on his X9. Looking forward to trying it out.

I'll likely send my 13x13 back in to OJ and have it repaired (again) to keep as a spare, which seems to be a necessity on our lake, at least in the spring.

rspiecha
06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Depending on extent of damage to prop, the prop may be un-repairable. I hit a log two years back, and sent prop to OJ, and they returned it saying it was not possible to repair. They said they would take it for a discount on a new prop. Insurance had purchased a new one at the dealer, so I have for future purchases.

CruisinGA
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
When I had this prop repaired before, Eric informed me that it was too far gone to be 100%, but that they would repair it as best they could if I wanted. What they sent back performed very well.

I can tell it has some damage due to some vibration and reduced holeshot/top end, but it is not as damaged as before. Hopefully OJ can work their magic again and it will make an acceptable spare prop.