PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard Rope and Handle

Footin
06-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I was in need of a new wakeboard rope and handle, I picked up a new one at a sporting goods store, one of the really thin ones, without a plastic coating on it.
I used it for the first time today and I am very disappointed. It tangles very very easily.

Anyone have a thin wake rope and handle they really like? Where did you get it?

broncotw
06-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I am partial to Straight Line ropes and handles...

swatguy
06-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Helium Suspension Line, Ronix R8 or RX , Accurate A line, all are coated. Helium would be the thinest followed by Ronix then Accurate. Can't go wrong with either. If you are looking for a non coated decent line that is bomb proof the Accurate Jacket series is worth a look, but it is thick compared to te first 3.

Yea those old "shoe string" non-coated lines were nice and light, but they are a tangled mess no matter how you roll it up.

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I am partial to Straight Line ropes and handles...

I have 2 (4) year old ones still pulling, not the new plastic coated ones. Have to roll it neatly and its never a big deal but don't get a 6 year ond near it. :D

Footin
06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I was lookin at this one, will I have same tangleing problem I have now?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=16153&pdesc=EVA_Wake_Handle_w/65_U_Line_blue&aID=600D1&merchID=4006

Jerseydave
06-13-2010, 08:33 AM
I've been using the Ronix North handle for 3 years now, love it! The hide grip is really comfy on the hands, and so far it's holding up very well.

http://www.evogear.com/handles/ronix-north-prequel-handle-w/hide-grip-2009.aspx

Jerseydave
06-13-2010, 08:38 AM
I have tried the new Lyman handle too, really nice!

The LG handles with suede grip are nice as well.
Any coated Dyneema line should do the trick.

DemolitionMan
06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
I have a 10 year old yellow jacket line. We use it every weekend.

vision
06-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Any new spectra/dyneema non-coated rope will tangle easily in my experience. The coated lines tangle less, but are far from tangle proof.

I will say that with time (1 or 2 seasons), they lose some of their memory and tangle less. Try riding around at a slow speed, say 5 mph, for 10 minutes with the rope out behind the boat. It seems to help unwind some of the memory built up in the rope. We also drag the rope for a 100 yards or so at the end of the day before reeling it in.

Do not reel it in and wind it around your arm while the boat is moving. Great way to have your arm cut off.

slickwater1
06-13-2010, 10:24 AM
hold the handle in the boat, let the other end out the back and let it drag for a ways. then roll up will take most of the twist out of the rope. I have two accurate non coated that are several years old and still not a problem.