PDA

View Full Version : narrowing down prop choice...

treptowr
06-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Boat-2002 X-star with 310 HP TBI. Current prop=13.25x16 ACME
ballast=400's in the locker, KGB, and integrated bow sac~1500lbs total?
people=any where from 4-8
Riding= 90% wakeboarding at 21-23ish depending on who's riding and ballast weight
some wakeskating with empty ballast
a rare surf session if the lake is blown out or crazy busy with boats

Done some reading of the archives here and other sites.
I think I have it narrowed down to the OJ edge 14.25x14 or the 14.25x 14.5

My current prop does OK. A little sluggish out of the whole. With 7 or 8 people and full ballast, I'd say really sluggish out of the whole. I'm guessing the difference with the bigger prop would be a little less hole shot but a little more top end? How much more top end? How much hole shot sacrificed? I rarely pull a salolom skiier, I think twice since I owned the boat. We normally don't have to do long runs to get to good water. Ride a relatively smaller lake and river. Suggestions? I'm thinking either one of these would be a nice upgrade.

Thrall
06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
On my X2, I went to a 14.5x14.25 Acme from the stock 13.7x17 and the difference was huge.
Here at altitude I was down 500-700rpms and could get 37-38 mph top end empty and the boat struggled to pull with full ballast and a fat guy on the rope (me). Now I get full rpms, great hole shot and 40-41 top end empty, flat water. It over revs a little down at Lake Powell 3500' elev ??, so I'd say with the smaller boat and midwest, get the 14.25x14.5 pitch, but in the end, ask Eric with OJ. He'll set you straight.

FrankSchwab
06-12-2010, 01:58 PM
OK, Treptowr, you've been on here long enough to know the stock answer:
"Ask Eric (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1537) from OJ Props".
I've always enjoyed learning from his answers.

Of course, with the thread title, he'll probably be along eventually.

/frank

TMCNo1
06-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Go directly to the man that knows, Eric Johnson @ http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us or contact him by pm, EJ OJPROP, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1537
Be prepared to give him any info he may need like, current prop info off the hub, the current altitude you use the boat at, baseline numbers of the speeds and RPM's for the current prop, boat model and year, engine size, transmission ratio, function (skiing, barefooting, surfing, boarding, tubing, etc.), ballast use, fuel load, gear, nominal # of passengers, etc. He will need it to determine the best prop for your application.

treptowr
06-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks Frank :) I did send him a note through the OJ website this morning but figure the guy has a life and probably isn't working over the weekend. Just thought I'd post this question on the forum to get some re-assurance/info from those who have used one or both of these props.

FrankSchwab
06-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, you know, people on here will argue, debate, speculate, inform, and mislead on just about any topic imaginable. But since Eric started hanging around, we just don't do that for props anymore. It's hell having an expert hanging around; though, come to think of it, that doesn't stop the debates about engine oil.l

Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope I didn't stifle your expected dialogue here too much.

/frank

EJ OJPROP
06-14-2010, 06:25 AM
I would suggest our 14.25 X 14.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-blade. Feel free to give me a call - 800-359-9730.

treptowr
06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Just got off the phone with Eric and ordered the 14.25 x 14.5 LC 1 1/8". Excited to try it!

brucemac
06-15-2010, 10:53 AM
right on!!!

treptowr
06-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Ordered Prop on Tuesday, was sitting on my door step yesterday (Thursday)! Looks nice. Went out Thursday but rode with my old prop. Was kind of pinched for time/day light. Put the new prop on in the garage last night and ready to try it out. Looks like rain/storms here this afternoon, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get out.

treptowr
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Update:
Finally got the prop on and a few runs in with it. Not a big difference with hole shot that I noticed. It definately holds speed more closely with perfect pass. Boat runs at about 3100 rpms at wakeboard speed with weight versus about 3300ish with old prop. Holds speed better in the corners too. Overall, happy with the purchase. Thanks Eric.