PDA

View Full Version : re-doing the upholstery

treptowr
06-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Was thinking of re-doing all my vinyl this winter. How hard is it to get all the pieces off and do this job. Is there a good step by step thread. Checking out copy cat covers right now. Have to pull all my skins, send them in, then they ship new ones back. Is this a project an average person without any upholstery experience can handle and still have it look good?

silverblueBP
06-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Don't know about a step by step, but if you are mechanically inclined, go for it. I just talked to Copy Cat yesterday and it will cost about $1K to re-do all my parts on the 96. Sounds like a good winter project.

5280Hawk
06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Its not bad just time consuming. I am waiting on a few parts to come back from Copycat this week. But i've basically re-covered ever piece of interior in my 2002 X-star.

When you take everything apart, make sure to put all the screws and nuts etc. in plastic bags and label them. Taking all the staples out gives you a good feel for how it will go back together. I took photos of a lot of the pieces where there were tricky details, so I could reference them when i was putting back together.

I bought an air stapler which made the re-covering a million times easier.

I should be re-installing everything right now but we're having a monsoon here in Denver (at least it feels like it):mad:

treptowr
06-13-2010, 01:58 PM
5280Hawk,, your post and photos inspired me to check into this. Got a quote from copycat covers. Wouldn't do this till Fall. Let me know how things go back together for you when you are done. How's the vinyl look compared to your old stuff? Similar/same quality?

atlfootr
06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Send Pieces To ... Jim - "Upholstery Guy"

NEW SKINS ...
Jim - "Upholstery Guy"
(865) 995 0607
(865) 679 2246 Cph

5280Hawk
06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
i actually think it's better quality. Its thicker than my original vinyl, but im no expert.

Patsfan
06-19-2010, 06:44 PM
You might want to check out the thread about copycat not taking care of one of our peeps. Covers didn't fit and they didn't stand behind there work.
Your best bet is a local custom shop. They can fit every thing as they go. No questions when you get it back.

Bert
07-22-2010, 01:38 PM
You might want to check out the thread about copycat not taking care of one of our peeps. Covers didn't fit and they didn't stand behind there work.
Your best bet is a local custom shop. They can fit every thing as they go. No questions when you get it back.

Ditto that, I had observer seat bottom and rear bench bottom redone by local shop. They matched the material color, texture and weight and seams perfectly. No none can tell it isn't original. If you check out the thread referenced you will see the copy cat method can turn out quite bad. There was another on here that was pleased with them but from his photos it was obvious they had been replaced.

TLR67
07-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Give it to someone who does this... and nothing but this..... I too would say Jim... Great Job and Quick Turnaround... He is in Vanore TN

Patsfan
07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I sure would find a custom shop. They can fit each piece back in the boat to assure proper fit and finish.
If you can't find a custom shop you feel good about then Jim does great work,also check out Leading Edge,they did a great job on my 87 ProStar. There is also Viper Customs. All are in the surrounding area of MasterCraft. Don't FIGURE??