PDA

View Full Version : New to the ballast bag and have questions?

joecarew3
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Just purchased a fat sac that is a little older. I have a 89 Prostar 190. Just starting to break into the wakeboarding world and am trying to get a good set up. I am curious to know how some of you out there with a similar set up fill and drain your ballast bags. I am looking for a quick, easy, economical way to fill it. Its a 550# bag, I will be using it in place of the rear seat. Thanks in advance!

Joe

jmcentire
06-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a few launchpads with an uberpump, just clip in the hose and toss the pump overboard, reverse for emptying. Not as nice as just flipping a switch, but it is cheap and easy.

CruisinGA
06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I hear the tsunami pump is a good one.

jmcentire
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah, if your bag has some type of quick connect for the pump, get the matching pump...much easier and faster than the universal connections.

swatguy
06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
We would need the MFG of the bag and the model to help to get you pointed in the right direction for a pump.

joecarew3
06-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Alright, its a fat sac 550# cylinder. Bladder in a bag set up. I am going to break down and buy the Tsunami pump and try to retro fit some fittings for the quick release and air valve set up. Any pointers would be much appreciated. I think I have got it pretty well figured out but I will have to wait and see what happens when I get it all set up. Thanks for the posts guys!

swatguy
06-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Joe, they make an adapter for the Tsunami to fit that older style bag. So you are good to go. Just make sure to leave one fill point exposed to burp the air out of the bag when you are filling.

joecarew3
06-14-2010, 01:08 PM
First off- thank you guys for the info. I finally hooked everything up and got it working. I still have a few bugs to work out but this is what I got so far. I bought a Tsunami Pump and the proper fittings to fill and drain the bag, that worked fine. I have two thoughts as of right now. I am thinking of mounting the pump through the transom by drilling the appropriate size hole with a hole saw. Has anyone done this, what were your thoughts and do you have any suggestions. I will be mounting a switch under the dash for operation. I am thinking I will need to either install another pump to drain it as the pump is only a one way, or just putting in a drain line that is attached at all times with a seacock and letting gravity do its work.
I would be interested if anyone has done this as well... I am going to build a compartment for the ballast bag to sit in. This will be dimensionally the same size as the rear seat. I plan on making a compartment for the bag, a storage area on top of the bag, then a padded top for a mini sun deck. The whole thing would be removable just like the rear seat. Any thoughts or pics of something similar that someone else has done?
Thanks in advance guys.

Joe

swatguy
06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
You can do it a couple different ways.

You can just drill a hole for the pump housing and then mount the pump to t he transom. Most likely the easies amd simplest way to get it going. Depending on whether you ride in a area with lost of seaweed or leaves or things to get sucked into the pump you can add a mushroom type strainer to keep out debris. These can be found at any bass pro oor marine store. they are used on bass boats for their livewell (aerator pump system)pumps. However my buddy has 3 mounted the way you describe with 0 screens and has had it that way for 3 yrs with zero problems. Biggest down side is that you can't fill while under way. If Fly High ever discontinues the Tsunami you are going to have to find a replacement or a good glass guy.

Next option is to add a scoop to the underside of where you plug is in the engine compartment. This will force water up the hole and into a "manifold" Add a brass shut off valve that will screw into the plug threads and run a "manifold" to attach the pump to. This way is good if you think you may want to add another bag. Then you just add to the manifold to accept another pump. Also great because you can fill while under way. Downside is that your bag can fill while under way if you forget to shut the valve.

Third option is to just add a whole different thru hull to the boat and run a manifold next to the factory plug. Biggest advantage is that you can use a bigger inlet diameter to accommodate multiple pumps and get more flow. Will help fill times shorten up. But in your case having only one bag not really an issue.

In any case you will need to install one way check valves on the fill lines for sure to prevent the water in the bag siphoning back out the fill line. This was you won't have to turn a manual valve. You can get a ton of ballast parts and ideas from wakemakers.com

slickwater1
06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
no way would i drill my boat for something as simple as filling a bag. throw the pump over the side and fill up while you stretch and get ready to ride. JMHO

joecarew3
06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I went with the "throw it over board and fill." I installed a switch nearby and it seams to work pretty well. It took appx. ten minutes to fill, plenty of time to have a beer and get loose. Question for all of you PS190 owners like me. We put 200lbs in the boat and the 550lb sac in the back. We put weight up front for bow rise, however it seems that it knocked the wake down a bit, wondering if anyone else has done this and how you remedied it. I wakeboarded for the first time last night, what a blast, found my new favorite thing to do.

Thanks for all the posts again!

milehigh970
06-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I think weight in the front washes out the wake on our boats.. I have a 86.. but same bottom shape basically, just different top deck. My remedy to the bow rise.... a big pad under my drivers seat cushion so I can sit higher and see..lol now throw that bag on the left side with a buddy sitting in that rear corner and roll about 800-1000 rpm with a slight left turn and surfs up! ;)

joecarew3
06-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I think weight in the front washes out the wake on our boats.. I have a 86.. but same bottom shape basically, just different top deck. My remedy to the bow rise.... a big pad under my drivers seat cushion so I can sit higher and see..lol now throw that bag on the left side with a buddy sitting in that rear corner and roll about 800-1000 rpm with a slight left turn and surfs up! ;)

Couldn't agree more. The weight in the bow washed the wake right out. I took it all out and just went with the fat sac. Worked a ton better. Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to a summer of boarding, surfing, and everything else!

Joe