PDA

View Full Version : Name this snake.

ski_king
06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Found in the basement of my mothers house in western Pennsylvania. It was only about 8 inchs long.

wakewander
06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
without a closer detailed pic, it looks like what we always call a corn snake! it is a rat eater, non-ven! let those go and they will lessen the mice around. you could probably give it to other mastercraft owners that mice have torn their boats apart!

JimN
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Found in the basement of my mothers house in western Pennsylvania. It was only about 8 inchs long.

Did it look like the one in the upper right photo?
http://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Fig4-16_cornsnake_variants.gif

coz
06-10-2010, 11:08 AM
without a closer detailed pic, it looks like what we always call a corn snake! it is a rat eater, non-ven! let those go and they will lessen the mice around. you could probably give it to other mastercraft owners that mice have torn their boats apart!

Looks like a corn snake to me too. They love to strangle little white rats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-8puyDs1r0

ski_king
06-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes, it looks like the upper left.
Corn snake was my first guess also, but some were telling me it was a copperhead, which I highly doubted.

My wife found it and is still in a state of panic.

When I put him in that jar, he was one pissed off little snake.

flipper
06-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Name that snake....Okay, george

BNIROOSTER
06-10-2010, 12:49 PM
definately not a copperhead.

drylandfish
06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Eastern Milk Snake.

flipper
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
It's just a worm, not a snake at all

TMCNo1
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
How does the name "I.B. Dead" sound?

CiscoStu
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Hard to tell because it's blurry, but I'd put a weekend's worth of gas on Eastern Milk Snake.

Isn't the old rhyme, "Red touches black, venom lack"? So, if the red and white are bordered by black rings, it's not venomous...

AND... don't tell your wife that if it's that small, the nest is likely close!

EDIT:
Here's a pic I just found - Eastern Milk Snake:

http://www.reptilesweb.com/reptiles-section/snake-world/eastern-milk-snake.html

TayMC197
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
A North Texas Bull snake, AKA Chicken snake, AKA corn snake,

C36
06-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Hard to tell because it's blurry, but I'd put a weekend's worth of gas on Eastern Milk Snake.

Isn't the old rhyme, "Red touches black, venom lack"? So, if the red and white are bordered by black rings, it's not venomous...

AND... don't tell your wife that if it's that small, the nest is likely close!

EDIT:
Here's a pic I just found - Eastern Milk Snake:

http://www.reptilesweb.com/reptiles-section/snake-world/eastern-milk-snake.html

Ski King:

Your photo reminded me of one I discovered in the rafters of our tool shed at the cottage in Ontario. I had handled Garter Snakes as a kid and had seen many Eastern Water Snakes, but I have never seen a snake with these colours before (and could not see the head).

Having spent a little time in the arid parts of Oregon I have a health respect for rattle snakes and when I saw this one that is the first thought that flashed through my mind. :eek: There are rattle snakes in Ontario (Mississauga Rattler - click here (http://www.cwwcbc.us/bc/Frame00319.JPG) to view a picture of one that is about two feet long). But after doing some research I was pretty sure it was an Eastern Milk Snake as CiscoStu suggested.

There is usually a big mess (made by the mice over the winter) in the tool shed to clean up each spring. That spring no mess (maybe snake = no mice = no mess).

The funny part was the next day (following the Eastern Milk Snake sighting but still thinking it might be a Mississauga Rattler) I went into the tool shed to grab a hammer and this is what I saw just as I was reached in. Needless to say in that first split second I saw the shape before I recognized the colour and just about had to go into the cottage to change my pants. :D:rolleyes::o Seems this snake liked resting on the hammer heads that had been warmed by the sun.

ski_king
06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I am sure it is a harmless Milk or Corn snake or whatever may be similar in this area.

Although the Massasauga's are known to be in the area, but I do not know anybody that actually ever saw one. This little guy had a way of shaking its tale when he was agitated. There was no sign of rattles, but maybe they don't grow until larger.

The house is sitting empty and up for sale now, I just don't want a prospective buyer to be scared off by another snake sighting, especially inside the house.

x-swagger
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
let him go in a nearby shed or garage that doesn't see much human traffic, those things really are helpful. what would you rather have around? a harmless snake.... or more mice and rats?

ski_king
06-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I did let him go behind the garage.

I just hope he dosn't find his way back inside. As I said, I am trying to sell that house and don't want him to scare off a prospective buyer.

SkiDog
06-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Be glad it wasn't THIS monster I killed on memorial Day this year! 5 1/2 feet long, 13 rattlers and a button.

83SuperSlot
06-11-2010, 11:34 AM
It looks like he had just eaten.....

x-swagger
06-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Damn Ski Dog, that's a snake!!! Perfect example of the right snaked to kill and the right ones to let go. Ski Dog kills a snake that could potentially kill one of his family, good call. Ski King lets a snake go that will remain harmless except to rats and mice (hopefully not potential home buyers!!) NICE JOB!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Nice job SkiDog. Get that one with a shovel?

76S&S
06-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Right or wrong, I have different approaches to snakes around the lake house vs at home.

Around the house non-poisonous get to live while poisonous get to die.

Around the water, they all get to die. On one occasion a snake got between by son and the pier and he had to swim across the creek to the neighbors pier. Good swimmer so it turned out okay, but the snake wasn't close enough to the bank for me to decide, good snake or bad snake. After this episode, all snakes around the water = dead snakes (if I can get to them).

coz
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Be glad it wasn't THIS monster I killed on memorial Day this year! 5 1/2 feet long, 13 rattlers and a button.

Nice! love them d-backs :D

JohnnyB
06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Reminds me of the joke about the guy in the countryside that gets bit in the crotch by a snake. Its a couple hours to the nearest town. His friend calls the doctor and explains the situation. The doctor tells his friend on the phone that he needs to make a small incision between the bite marks and suck the poison out....when he gets off the phone he tells his friend "the doctor says you're gonna die"

ski_king
06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I feel inferior after comparing Ski Dogs snake to my snake.:confused:

SkiDog
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Nice job SkiDog. Get that one with a shovel?

No shovel. 22cal. 9mm, & a 20 ga.!
We figure the snake had eaten about an hour earlier cause we cut a whole adult squirrel from its belly!

SkiDog
06-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Right or wrong, I have different approaches to snakes around the lake house vs at home.

Around the house non-poisonous get to live while poisonous get to die.

Around the water, they all get to die. On one occasion a snake got between by son and the pier and he had to swim across the creek to the neighbors pier. Good swimmer so it turned out okay, but the snake wasn't close enough to the bank for me to decide, good snake or bad snake. After this episode, all snakes around the water = dead snakes (if I can get to them).

Good call right there!

bcampbe7
06-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I feel inferior after comparing Ski Dogs snake to my snake.:confused:

It happens... Not to me, but it I have heard of it happening. :)

Only "good" snake is a dead snake, IMHO. They make traps for mice and rats, no need to use a snake.

bcampbe7
06-11-2010, 03:25 PM
We figure the snake had eaten about an hour earlier cause we cut a whole adult squirrel from its belly!

You ate the snake AND the squirrel, didn't ya! You wouldn't be from Southern Georgia if you didn't!

Jabrew
06-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm with bcambe7 on this one. Only "good" snake is a dead snake.

flipper
06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
You must be a great shot sir588955889558895

Goody
06-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Coral Snake

SkiDog
06-11-2010, 05:29 PM
You must be a great shot sir588955889558895

Did ya see the snakes head!? Or lack thereof?:D

tex
06-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Tommy Lee?

atlfootr
06-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Snakes here are like gators, there all over the place.

uncleboo
06-12-2010, 01:42 PM
This beauty of a snake was munching on a big ole fish right next to the green at the golf course (Indian Hills) by my house. It is a cottonmouth (poisonous) that is bigger than my arm and was at least 5 feet long. It was extremely aggressive and cranky due to the fact that we interrupted his meal. The 8th hole is a par 5 with the Stones River running right beside it. Needless to say, if any golf balls go near or in the water from now on I chalk that up to a lost ball! Sorry for the quality of the pic, I took this with my blackberry. And no, I didn't want to get any closer to that bad boy without a firearm in my hand.

uncleboo
06-12-2010, 01:48 PM
For those of you who go to Center Hill Lake, here is a huge rattlesnake swimming in the channel near Holmes Creek. Scary!

atlfootr
06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
With a FULL MOUTH, I'd say you'd be safe ... that 2nd shot you should of chopped 'em into pieces .

YooperScott
06-12-2010, 02:36 PM
And pictures like that are why I take all the jokes from southern people about liking the UP of Michigan and skiing there. So the water gets chilly and all but I am not swimming with things that can kill me!!! A garter snake is the worst thing you might see near the shore and even that is pretty darn rare. I HATE SNAKES!!!

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

Thrall
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I'd have risked a bent prop to turn that sucker into snake sushi!

JimN
06-12-2010, 05:48 PM

That's only for telling the difference between a Coral snake and a King snake.

ROB
06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Bet the farm on this one:

Eastern Milk Snake

classic_speed
06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Your right....