PDA

View Full Version : steering pulls to da right

darkbrown
06-28-2005, 07:25 PM
95 p'star 190,- new to inboards,- no dealer within 500 miles, -decent boat i think, just needs a little (a lot of) attention..........
the craft pulls to the right, the steering is stiff, and the wheel is off by 90degrees, (although rudder, cable, and pivot have been greased) (1) are these related problems, (2) solutions?suggestions?
I live in the middle of B.C.,............recomendations for a dealer?
Where might i find a workshop manual &/or parts manual for my new toy?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cloaked
06-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Welcome aboard!

The steering is OK with the right hand tug... It should do that.

As for a dealer in BC? :idunno:

A lot of folks here use www.skidim.com for parts and such. There is a ton of info on the board here to do about anything one would want to in the absense of a dealer.... :toast:

NatesGr8
06-28-2005, 09:01 PM
mine does the same, it just makes me pay attention.

ski_king
06-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Welcome!
As others have said, the steering sounds ok.
The download section has a 91-93 manual that should get you started in the right direction. If you use the contact MasterCraft link on the main page thay can probobly help you with a manual as well.

Yes, skidim.com is a good source for parts as well as advise. There are a number of MasterCraft dealers that use this website and many of them will ship the parts you need to you.

You will find that this site can provide you with help on most anything you need.

By the way, if you haven't found out already, these boats don't steer well in reverse.

stevo137
06-28-2005, 10:59 PM
The steering is fine. It does that so you will have constant tension and no play in the wheel while pulling through the course or while maintaining a straight line. ;)

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Look at the rear (starboard) trailing edge of your rudder. Sounds like the P.O. took a belt sander to it to put a little pull into the boat. Mine came with that feature. The point is to make it easier to hold straight with a skier in tow. Once you get used to it, in my experience, you'll not only wonder what you did without it, but driving a boat without torqued steering will drive you nuts.

Welcome to the board.

Hunterb
06-29-2005, 03:28 PM
I was wondering about this myself. I have been skiing behind my PS 190 for a few weeks now and the one complaint that I have is that it is difficult to maintain a straight line in the slalom course. The steering does not pull to one side or the other at all and what I'm reading on some of the previous posts is that it should. Does this make it easier to maintain a straight line in the slalom course?

Would love to know.

Thanks

Bruce

Ric
06-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Yes, very much so.
This will help if your steering is old and has more slop too. The idea is that you are applying more or less pressure against the steering wheel when driving rather than this all the time: :steering:

Just sand or file a bit of the trailing edge of the desired side of the rudder at a time and lake test it. you want more pull, you take more material off until you reach the desired amount of "rudder torque"

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 03:36 PM
What Ric said. I'll add that a little goes a long way. Just a tiny bit along the entire trailing edge of one side of the rudder. If you want it to pull right, do the right trailing edge. Left, do the left trailing edge.

Just do a tiny bit, then test it. Repeat until it's how you like it.

When you're done, don't expect to be able to pull a "look Ma, no hands" while at speed.

Bert
06-29-2005, 11:30 PM
95 p'star 190,- new to inboards,- no dealer within 500 miles, -decent boat i think, just needs a little (a lot of) attention..........
the craft pulls to the right, the steering is stiff, and the wheel is off by 90degrees, (although rudder, cable, and pivot have been greased) (1) are these related problems, (2) solutions?suggestions?
sounds like your steering is set up the way it should be. Where in BC are you located ? would these guy's work for you? http://www.rayburns.com/newboats/mastercraft.html

School Skier
06-30-2005, 07:31 AM
I have a 97 ProStar 190 it also pulls to the right but steers easy. If there is no MC dealer close by try another inboard dealer in you're area.
I have been looking for a service manual for the 97 but have a difficult time finding one MasterCraft and Indmar are protective of the manuals from what I hear.

ski_king
06-30-2005, 08:11 AM
.........I have been looking for a service manual for the 97 but have a difficult time finding one MasterCraft and Indmar are protective of the manuals from what I hear.
Here is the 94-02 Indmar Manual. (http://indmar.com/files/manual/indmar_2001_om.pdf)

School Skier
07-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks Powerslot82!

darkbrown
07-03-2005, 05:12 PM
just a note of thanks...........
nate, east tx., power, steveO, & all.
intorduced port trailing edge to my flat file (a couple of times) and now have a steady but controlable pull to the right,.......
nice to know i'm not alone...........
Thankz..........
Terry

bradcox
08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I found this article that might be helpful for your situation. I did.

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=12220&typeID=123&categoryID=162

stevo137
08-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Interesting article.
My "rudder torque" is not very noticeable.
The boat is a joy to drive at any speed and others who drive it say the same.
If it were any stronger I might be concerned.

MarkP
08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I went and dug this thread up so I wouldn’t have to start a new one..

My steering pulls to the right! What should I do?? Maybe I should explain..

I just put a new prop on my boat. After having the boat out on the water for the day Sunday, I noticed it pulls harder to the starboard side. (the prop is the only thing that has changed). Since it now pulls harder than I would like and harder than I am comfortable with I am considering changing the load on my rudder.

Previous owner had the starboard trailing edge modified and until the new prop installation I was fine with a slight starboard pull. Its now too drastic.

Any thoughts on filing the port side a bit??

MarkP
08-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Seriously! :rant:

Do you guys think that new stronger prop would/could/did increase the load on the rudder causing the boat to pull more??

ALSO

Do you think grinding the other side will be my best fix??

BUMP!!

BriEOD
08-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I think you're screwed and you should just sell that one and buy a 2003 PS 197 35th Annv w/ mini tower.

Leroy
08-24-2005, 04:57 PM
I agree Brian, seems totaled, wouldn't want those cute girls trying to ski behind a boat with problems like that!

BriEOD
08-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Well than that settles it. How much are you going to sell it for Mark?

MarkP
08-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Well than that settles it. How much are you going to sell it for Mark?Is that a yes, adjust the load of the rudder by grinding the other side??

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 10:19 PM
PArts. Send a personnal message to MYMC they can send you what you need.
Manuals, keep an eye on the auction sites. They are listed once in awhile. Otherwise, not much luck anywhere for them. Unless you find someone with one and they could copy what you need.

east tx skier
08-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Mark, it is entirely conceivable that a prop that produces greater torque would create a stronger rightward pull on a left hand rotation boat. Action/reaction. Mine always pulled pretty good to the right and I didn't notice that it got worse with a new cnc'd prop. If I take my hand off at speed, the wheel spun before, and it still does now. I love it though. You could compensate by shaving a bit off the port trailing edge.

Rule 1. Do only a tiny bit at a time. Then test. Then do more if necessary (but only a tiny bit at a time. To undo it, you've got to go back to the other side. Before you know it, you won't have any rudder left (which would get rid of the pull problem).

MarkP
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Mark, it is entirely conceivable that a prop that produces greater torque would create a stronger rightward pull on a left hand rotation boat. Action/reaction. Mine always pulled pretty good to the right and I didn't notice that it got worse with a new cnc'd prop. If I take my hand off at speed, the wheel spun before, and it still does now. I love it though. You could compensate by shaving a bit off the port trailing edge.

Rule 1. Do only a tiny bit at a time. Then test. Then do more if necessary (but only a tiny bit at a time. To undo it, you've got to go back to the other side. Before you know it, you won't have any rudder left (which would get rid of the pull problem).
I was surprised at the difference. I was only out for a short while in windy conditions. Although I’m sure it wasn’t my imagination, I do intend on testing it out under “good” conditions before I drag a file.. I can see the amount taken from the starboard side is minimal and realize it wont take but a fraction of that to put it the way it was..

From what I could tell, that prop does offer “greater torque”. Not sure about the overall performance, (yet), but I do have my crew talked into the sunrise sets Saturday.

Jorski
08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi Mark,

Different props send the water (thrust) over the rudder differently. Different props have different amounts of rake, cup, blade area, shape, etc. What you have suggested as a fix is correct.

Some number of years ago I had a light fast boat called a Hydrostream with 200 Merc outboard on a hydraulic jacking plate with all of the go fast goodies. A (boat) dealer friend of mine lent me a prop to try that did not appear very diffrent from what I was running at the time...to make a long story short I could barely hold on to the steering wheel with this prop even at moderate speeds.

MarkP
08-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks Jorski

I’m really happy with the new prop and think I’ll only need a little tweak to get her back to how I like it.

Man those little “go fast” boats ROCK. I had a 16’ Checkmate with a Merc 115 as my 1st boat. Man that thing was cool. It was like a little rocket ship