PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 4

JohnE
06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Anyone who knows me here knows I'm not very techno savvy. Talk to me about the new iphone and iphones in general. Talk to me about anything and everything except the service. Service is acceptable in my area so that's not a concern. Tell me what you like why I should switch (from a verizon blackberry) etc.

I know there's been threads in the past about this, but I want today's thoughts. Plus I'm too lazy to use the search feature.:D

I think I'm switching to the iphone when the new one is available in a week or so.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ShamrockIV
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
sorry bro. i am a blackberry guy. good luck

JohnE
06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
sorry bro. i am a blackberry guy. good luck

No, I'm sorry.:D

Sodar
06-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Worst Phone ever. Don't get it. Apple Sucks. Blackberries Rule. Droids will overtake the iPhone.

ALL B.S.!

I have had the Original iPhone, 3G, 3GS and plan to have the 4G by Christmas. Each revision has made the phone even better. My company provides me with a new Blackberry and I still have all my calls forwarded to my personal iPhone... the BB sits in the drawer. I HATE BB! They are the funkiest and most difficult to use POS's. Some people love them.... I can't stand them.

Mr_Woodcock
06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Ha ha Iphones are awesome! Iphones have the structures and progams to out perform blackberrys. The versatility is unmatched (even the best droids, which I know have) I had the 3G and I loved it... problem was service in my area. Dropped calls and no service pissed me off so bad that I switch!

ShamrockIV
06-09-2010, 08:35 PM
No, I'm sorry.:D

i am goning to upgrade to the newest storm when i get home. had the 1st gen when i left home and loved it.

cds02
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
i am goning to upgrade to the newest storm when i get home. had the 1st gen when i left home and loved it.

Hope you have better luck than i did when you get a new storm. I had the old one and did some updates on it so it was throwing a few errors. So i went to verizon and my wife was with me and was also getting a blackberry so the sales person just talked me into a new storm because all BB's where buy one get one free. So i updated my old storm to the full touch new storm phone,it has no call and end buttons at the bottom like the old storm. I knew someone that worked there and he told me not to get it but i didnt anyways. Needless to say 3 days later i returned that POS. You would have to hit the talk button so hard when someone called to answer it that i honestly thought it would break the screen. Instead all the fancy phones i got a full military, dust free, waterproof and all phone and its been the best phone i have ever had.

SkiDog
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Go with the new Droid Incredible! Thats gonna be the bad a$$ phone of the decade!

east tx skier
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
What's up with AT&T's new data plan?

Double D
06-09-2010, 11:21 PM
iPhone all the way. Blackberry sucks and Droid is very powerful and nice. However, if the iPhone were offered on more service providers, it would take over the world.

psychobilly
06-10-2010, 12:42 AM
My wife has one and she loves it. If I spent more time state side I would prolly have one too. It's got kewl apps!!!

One app allows you to connect to your home computer and play music. In other words, say you're sitting in the den and your home puter is in the office. Well hit the app and BAM your music you choose starts playing. AWESOME!

Oh and we are never stumped on anything. We'll be riding down the road or out on the lake and someone will ask a question that no one has an answer for..... In the palm of your hand, poof answer!

Oh and until I start working back state side and they build a red neck model I prolly wont have one, as they are fragile...

nmcjr
06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't have any droid experience, but I think the new incredible is a contender.

Blackberries are better than both for work related email and calendaring, IMO--but even at that only marginally.

The iphone is bar far a better (than BB) media device for playing youtube, the iPod etc. and the browser is just great. Since getting an iPhone I would say that my home PC use has dropped by maybe 30% and while away from home the iPhone browser is a must have.

Another benefit of the iPhone is that if someone builds a custom app, they typically build the iPhone version first, so you have a greater chance of a custom app for the iPhone, such as Blockbuster, your bank etc., rather than relying on a mobile browser window. There are some really good apps, and a lot of garbage. I only have a few I use regularly.

The biggest thing I think is that it just works and everything is really easy--Apple is known for its user interfaces and on the iPhone they delivered. Typing is a bit challenging, so one advantage the Incredible has is the keyboard, and also Verizon supports tethering, if this is an issue for you. You can tether the iphone but you have to hack it to do that, and it may be a while before os4 is hacked, though I doubt it.

My guess is that you'd be really happy with either the Incredible or the new iPhone.

JohnE
06-10-2010, 08:06 AM
according to the at&t saleman I spoke to the iphone4 will support tethering....at an additional $20/ month.

JohnE
06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Except you Sham.:D JK my friend. Stay safe over there. Hope you get home soon.

JohnE
06-10-2010, 08:08 AM
How fragile is the iphone? Someone commented on it.

MCVOLS
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I hear Verizon is getting iphone in September, and Sprint in November. The sprint info is from a sprint customer service person, so it should be reliable, not sure about the verizon date.

ski/hunt
06-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I travel over 18+ states and iPhone works great!! Dropped many times just don't drop in water, that will kill any of them.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-10-2010, 10:00 AM
I hear Verizon is getting iphone in September, and Sprint in November. The sprint info is from a sprint customer service person, so it should be reliable, not sure about the verizon date.

About time. Been with Sprint 12 years and was considering switching due to phone choices.

wakewander
06-10-2010, 11:04 AM
i have the first iphone still. durability wise non is tougher. it has rode on the back of a car trunk and took a slide to the street! it still functions perfectly! get you a good case for it though! i was worried about it when they don't have insurance! but to be honest you don't need it, they are tanks in my opinion!

joecarew3
06-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I have been waiting for this thread... I have had the iphone 3g for almost two years now. I am well known for damaging phones and going through multiple phones during a contract. To date, I have only had to replace mine one time...(it was a freak accident, dropped it on some concrete, it hit at an awkward angle, screen cracked) I have dropped this phone well over 50 times, still works like new. Might suggest a case, peace of mind. As far as the phone goes, there is nothing else even comparable, IMO. Whether you are a tech nerd or a old timer that doesn't know how to use a computer, this phone has the easiest to use operating system. My entire family has iphones, they are by far the simplest smart phones out there. Between Navigation, Emails, Games, Utility apps, and everything else under the sun, its a do all gadget. Lake Navionics is a cool app when your out on the boat. You can buy this app for next to nothing and it gives you lake maps, depths, and all sorts of other information if you are on a new body of water. Don't waste your time with anything else, this phone has everything you could possibly need in a smartphone. I have never said to myself that I wish this phone had something that was unavailable. PM me if you have any questions about it. (I do not sell or endorse the iphone, although now that Im thinking about it, they should pay me)

Joe

Jorski
06-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I had 4 Blackberries over the years, and now have an iPhone.

Iphone is hands down better for using the internet (much faster, clearer, you can read any site), as a phone, infinitely better for handling attachments or reading an excel file for example.....in these areas there is absolutely no comparison.

The one area that the b-berry has a small advantage is that it is easier to type with buttons than it it is with the touch screen on the apple. That being said, I have gotten used to it, and I am now as fast and as accurate as I was with the B-berry.

JohnE...you mentioned tethering...you can do that with the current iphone.

BrianM
06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
I held off on an Iphone until just recently. Have had Palm Treos for about the last 7 years. Can't believe I waited this long. Great phone. I kind of got lucky/unlucky. I just switched to it at the beginning of the month so I am locked into an unlimited data plan. I am going to be able to return my 3GS within the 30 day return period and get 4G when it comes out. So kind of a pain in the arse having to go in return and repurchase but I got the good data plan and the new phone.

SkiDog
06-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I have been waiting for this thread... I have had the iphone 3g for almost two years now. I am well known for damaging phones and going through multiple phones during a contract. To date, I have only had to replace mine one time...(it was a freak accident, dropped it on some concrete, it hit at an awkward angle, screen cracked) I have dropped this phone well over 50 times, still works like new. Might suggest a case, peace of mind. As far as the phone goes, there is nothing else even comparable, IMO. Whether you are a tech nerd or a old timer that doesn't know how to use a computer, this phone has the easiest to use operating system. My entire family has iphones, they are by far the simplest smart phones out there. Between Navigation, Emails, Games, Utility apps, and everything else under the sun, its a do all gadget. Lake Navionics is a cool app when your out on the boat. You can buy this app for next to nothing and it gives you lake maps, depths, and all sorts of other information if you are on a new body of water. Don't waste your time with anything else, this phone has everything you could possibly need in a smartphone. I have never said to myself that I wish this phone had something that was unavailable. PM me if you have any questions about it. (I do not sell or endorse the iphone, although now that Im thinking about it, they should pay me)

Joe

Just checked, Droid does NOT have this app either free or paid.:(

mattsn
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Try an iPad. Mine is great except for all the couriosity seekers. At Starbucks, a guy kept checking out my iPad and asking questions. When he finally asked how I liked " the phone" feature, I could not resist. I told him the phone was great, bit it was hard to hold the large iPad to my ear!!

He never blinked, just bought the whole story.

ttu
06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
About time. Been with Sprint 12 years and was considering switching due to phone choices.

i have been with sprint for a long time and really like their coverage and service, thinking about switching to the evo soon.

joecarew3
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Just checked, Droid does NOT have this app either free or paid.:(

Droid does..... Not

I'm sure they will soon enough. The navionics app is pretty incredible.

Sodar
06-10-2010, 02:26 PM

AT&T has a 5-year exclusivity agreement with Apple that began in 2007... but anything could happen.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/confirmed-apple-and-atandt-signed-five-year-iphone-exclusivity-de/

TayMC197
06-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Iphone's are just really simple to use, I don't like the battery life but I just keep chargers handy everywhere. Battery is dead mostly cuause I can't put the phone down. I hated my blackberry and doubt I would ever switch back. Best reason of the iphone is simplicity and they now have insurance.

east tx skier
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
i have been with sprint for a long time and really like their coverage and service, thinking about switching to the evo soon.

The EVO is sweet. I would have switched to it already if they weren't going to charge me $10 per month extra for 4G data that isn't even available where I use 99% of my data plan.

I'll stick with the Diamond Touch until something better pops up.

I'll throw it back out there. What's up with AT&T's new pay as you go data plan. Clearly there are some heavy iphone users here. Will this make it cheaper or more expensive for you?

Aric'sX15
06-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Pre-ordering my iphone 4 june 15th. Ive had my 3g since the day the 3g came out. very very happy with it. coming from a crappy palm centro, i was very happy with the change. blackberries suck, and i would never get another phone besides the iphone.

joecarew3
06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
The EVO is sweet. I would have switched to it already if they weren't going to charge me $10 per month extra for 4G data that isn't even available where I use 99% of my data plan.

I'll stick with the Diamond Touch until something better pops up.

I'll throw it back out there. What's up with AT&T's new pay as you go data plan. Clearly there are some heavy iphone users here. Will this make it cheaper or more expensive for you?

As a light data user with heavy data user in the family, it designed to keep the heavy users the same and save some money for people that use the data a lot less.

JohnE
06-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Lots of rumors of that but nothing concrete. I'd wait if I believed it were true but I don't think Verizon is getting the iphone soon....unless of course I switch to at&t which will include my paying the early termination fee...

east tx skier
06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
As a light data user with heavy data user in the family, it designed to keep the heavy users the same and save some money for people that use the data a lot less.

I guess I don't know how much data I move through in a month. But the bigger of the plans looked like 2 gb per month. How many youtube videos at the mobile resolutions before you hit 2 gb?

I'm not knocking the iphone. If Sprint gets one, I will likely jump on it. But AT&T's plan has always been a factor in my not looking to get one before now. Sprint's by no means perfect. But the all inclusive data/text/gps, etc. is a plus. For example, even with the new iphone plan being cheaper ($25 per month), to get text, you will spend at least an extra $5. So at $30, that's what I pay for unlimited data, unlimited text, gps, sprint tv, and a bunch of stuff I may never use.

The good news is that existing iphone users are grandfathered in (unless they want to tether the iphone, in which case they have to "upgrade" to the new data plan).

Link (http://9to5mac.com/new-iphone-data-plan)

joecarew3
06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I guess I don't know how much data I move through in a month. But the bigger of the plans looked like 2 gb per month. How many youtube videos at the mobile resolutions before you hit 2 gb?

I'm not knocking the iphone. If Sprint gets one, I will likely jump on it. But AT&T's plan has always been a factor in my not looking to get one before now. Sprint's by no means perfect. But the all inclusive data/text/gps, etc. is a plus.

Just looked it up, I was kinda curious of the same thing.

DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for example, enough to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video for just $15 per month.** This plan, which can save customers up to 50 percent off their wireless data charges, is designed for people who primarily like to surf the web, send email and use social networking apps. If customers exceed 200 MB in a monthly billing cycle, they will receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15 for use in the cycle. Currently, 65 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 200 MB of data per month on average.
DataPro. Provides 2 gigabytes (GB) of data for example, enough to send/receive 10,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 1,500 emails with attachments, plus view 4,000 Web pages, plus post 500 photos to social media sites, plus watch 200 minutes of streaming video for $25 per month.** Should a customer exceed 2 GB during a billing cycle, they will receive an additional 1 GB of data for $10 for use in the cycle. Currently, 98 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 2 GB of data a month on average.

This is right off their website.

east tx skier
06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Just looked it up, I was kinda curious of the same thing.

DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for example, enough to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video for just $15 per month.** This plan, which can save customers up to 50 percent off their wireless data charges, is designed for people who primarily like to surf the web, send email and use social networking apps. If customers exceed 200 MB in a monthly billing cycle, they will receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15 for use in the cycle. Currently, 65 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 200 MB of data per month on average.
DataPro. Provides 2 gigabytes (GB) of data for example, enough to send/receive 10,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 1,500 emails with attachments, plus view 4,000 Web pages, plus post 500 photos to social media sites, plus watch 200 minutes of streaming video for $25 per month.** Should a customer exceed 2 GB during a billing cycle, they will receive an additional 1 GB of data for $10 for use in the cycle. Currently, 98 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 2 GB of data a month on average.

This is right off their website.

That's a good indicator. Thanks for posting that.

Of course, it kind of gets tossed out the window when you put netflix streaming capability on the new iphone. It's like the old AOL that billed you by the minute. I might have had months where I didn't surf the web for 20 minutes (in 1995), but when they introduced unlimited access for $20, it sure was nice not to have to worry about it.

joecarew3
06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah same here. I will keep it the same as I have it now. $30 for unlimited. No guess work then.

mramerman
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I have worked for other cell phone manufactorers (HTC) who have very good and highly innovative devices. I have also been a fanatic who often replaces my device at least 2x per year---and the I-phone has been the device I have carried for the longest on-going period ever--two years.

Outside of the well documented network issues, anything that Apple chooses to pursue from a function standpoint works very, very well. The fit & finish of the device is just short of a work of art. The basic 'touch flow' of the user interface is natural, crisp and incredibly fluid. No other OEM has come close to replicating this.

I would highly recommend this device.

psychobilly
06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Check out this awesome app for Iphone....

http://sailing.about.com/b/2010/03/14/new-chartplotter-app-for-iphone.htm

east tx skier
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I have worked for other cell phone manufactorers (HTC) who have very good and highly innovative devices. I have also been a fanatic who often replaces my device at least 2x per year---and the I-phone has been the device I have carried for the longest on-going period ever--two years.

Outside of the well documented network issues, anything that Apple chooses to pursue from a function standpoint works very, very well. The fit & finish of the device is just short of a work of art. The basic 'touch flow' of the user interface is natural, crisp and incredibly fluid. No other OEM has come close to replicating this.

Nice choice of words with the "touch flow."

I have been very pleased with my HTC phones. I'm kind of torn between the compact size of the Touch Diamond (fits in the pocket well) versus the slightly more compact size of the touch screen. Does internet well though. Has multitouch and absolutely no complaints from the built in Opera mobile browser.

That said, I-phone is clearly the gold standard. Although the EVO does not appear to be any sort of slouch and the Android system combined with the HTC overlay is pretty crave worthy. Like I said before, if AT&T had a better plan, I might have switched by now. But with things getting closer on the interface, to me, it's not worth suffering through a substandard plan to have a phone that does things a bit better.

95prostar
06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
iphone all the way. used blackberrys for many years. will never go back. i havent broke a screen but the wife has. the touchscreen is available on ebay for @12.00 shipped with the tools. takes about 30 minuites being very careful while watching a google video.

Ryan
06-11-2010, 03:20 AM
That's a good indicator. Thanks for posting that.

Of course, it kind of gets tossed out the window when you put netflix streaming capability on the new iphone. It's like the old AOL that billed you by the minute. I might have had months where I didn't surf the web for 20 minutes (in 1995), but when they introduced unlimited access for $20, it sure was nice not to have to worry about it.

Steve Jobs added some interesting wording about working out a deal with AT&T to get the video calls opened on AT&T rather than wifi. [edit: make that 'in addition to wifi'] AT&T is set to make a ton of money as consumers get excited and go WAY over their data plan. Remember your texting bills before unlimited plans? Give that a 5x factor in cost.

I really want to get this phone, BUT, the AT&T svc in IN makes me gun-shy. Plus, AT&T just upped their early termination from $150 to $325 surely in preparation for a looming end to their exclusive svc provider status. So, if I want to swith due to bad svc it'll hurt more. Plus, the millions of new iphone users (I'd be one of them) will burden AT&T's infrastructure even more.

JohnE
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Steve Jobs added some interesting wording about working out a deal with AT&T to get the video calls opened on AT&T rather than wifi. AT&T is set to make a ton of money as consumers get excited and go WAY over their data plan. Remember your texting bills before unlimited plans? Give that a 5x factor in cost.

I really want to get this phone, BUT, the AT&T svc in IN makes me gun-shy. Plus, AT&T just upped their early termination from $150 to $325 surely in preparation for a looming end to their exclusive svc provider status. So, if I want to swith due to bad svc it'll hurt more. Plus, the millions of new iphone users (I'd be one of them) will burden AT&T's infrastructure even more.

A few years ago the Attorney General in MA ruled that if you were cancelling a cell contract early due to poor service that the company can not make you pay early termination. (not sure of the details of what qualifies as poor service.) 'Poor' being my wording not the AG's. Reason I remember that is it happened right when I was trying to cancel my Sprint account due to poor service. Couldn't leave my house and drive down the street without dropping the call.

JohnE
06-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I was speaking with a business plan rep. Pretty candid conversation. He admitted that Verizon service blew theirs away in the past but that at&t was aggressively closing the gap. It wasn't lip service...I wasn't asking so I don't think it was bs. He said they are doing everything they can to improve

east tx skier
06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
[/B]

A few years ago the Attorney General in MA ruled that if you were cancelling a cell contract early due to poor service that the company can not make you pay early termination. (not sure of the details of what qualifies as poor service.) 'Poor' being my wording not the AG's. Reason I remember that is it happened right when I was trying to cancel my Sprint account due to poor service. Couldn't leave my house and drive down the street without dropping the call.

I remember those days with Sprint. I briefly switched to AT&T and was getting dropped calls in the same locations. After about a year and a half, I switched back to sprint to piggyback onto my wife's plan. Since then, we've both gone to smart phones and enjoyed the unlimited mobile to mobile minutes regardless of carrier. Sprint's call quality in this part of the country has been much improved over the past several years (and I'm not in a major metro area). Unfortunately, it has been only within the last couple of years that their smart phone selection has improved. Even now though, there's only one that I would want to buy, the EVO. My wife has an HTC touch pro 2. It's really nice, but I don't want a slide out keyboard (nor does it need one).

brucemac
06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
the iphone changed my life

no but really, i'd say it's the most impressive piece of hardware i've seen in the last several years. if your 3G service is good, i simply can't see how you could regret it. no all you can eat data for new subscribers is pretty weak, but you'd have to be living on the thing to chew through that much data.

good luck, i don't see how you could lose.

FancySauceRules
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
My understanding is that when and if Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile, get the iphone, they will face the same network issues that AT&T does. If you like your verizon service you should be happy the iphone isn't on the network. It is well documented how much more data iphone users use.

Also I really have become a fan of the multi-tasking while on the phone that AT&T's network allows. I am on the headset all the time now reading emails, surfing the web and using apps when on the phone.

joecarew3
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
the iphone changed my life

no but really, i'd say it's the most impressive piece of hardware i've seen in the last several years. if your 3G service is good, i simply can't see how you could regret it. no all you can eat data for new subscribers is pretty weak, but you'd have to be living on the thing to chew through that much data.

good luck, i don't see how you could lose.

Changed my life... hilarious. Technology has lowered the quality of life beyond belief and yet the stuff they come out with is mind blowing. Makes you wonder how people lived back in the day without lights and a computer???:confused:

brucemac
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
i'm really not trying to argue, but how has technology lowered the quality of life exactly?

from a personal contact perspective, or in other ways? i'm seriously asking because i'm curious where you're coming from. again, not trying to start something. sincerely interested in your perspective.

and i was joking about the changed my life thing by the way :)

TayMC197
06-11-2010, 05:08 PM
i'm really not trying to argue, but how has technology lowered the quality of life exactly?

from a personal contact perspective, or in other ways? i'm seriously asking because i'm curious where you're coming from. again, not trying to start something. sincerely interested in your perspective.

and i was joking about the changed my life thing by the way :)

What brucemac really means is that it changed his life in reguards to the ease of looking at internet porn in the plam of his hand, while talking business!

bcampbe7
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
If AT&T was worth a flip in the areas I live and travel I would probably have an iPhone. As it stands I have the HTC Incredible from Verizon and am very happy. In talking with iPhone users, their biggest complaint is the stronghold that Apple has on the app store. Oh and I can tether my Droid for free (free app). AT&T charges $20 (per month me thinks).

Can I download emails and talk on the phone, no. Don't need to either, so I am good.

SkiDog
06-11-2010, 05:23 PM
If AT&T was worth a flip in the areas I live and travel I would probably have an iPhone. As it stands I have the HTC Incredible from Verizon and am very happy. In talking with iPhone users, their biggest complaint is the stronghold that Apple has on the app store. Oh and I can tether my Droid for free (free app). AT&T charges $20 (per month me thinks).

Can I download emails and talk on the phone, no. Don't need to either, so I am good.

I may be mistaken, but i think you can with the Droid. I think you have to be on a wi-fi network though.

east tx skier
06-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I may be mistaken, but i think you can with the Droid. I think you have to be on a wi-fi network though.

My Windows Mobile can do this with a paid app through the winmo app store. I may do it before my next business trip. Basically allows the phone to transmit it's data signal via its wifi to up to four wifi devices. Also can do it via blutooth or cable. I don't think Sprint would appreciate this circumventing of its paid tethering service, but it's certainly possible.

jaysus
06-13-2010, 03:02 PM
+1 for the iphone. Nice piece of equipment, super fast and have had no durability issues...knock on wood.

joecarew3
06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Bump............
I just got done playing with the new Iphone 4. My brother just picked it up. I looked at the new specs and thought that it wasn't worth the upgrade. WRONG! I might have to go pick it up too. The video, screen options, and speed made the phone that much better. I really like my Iphone 3 with the 3.0s update a ton, but it doesn't even compare to the new Iphone 4. Thought you guys might want to know.

BrianM
06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Mine came in today. Going to go pick it up tomorrow.

east tx skier
06-24-2010, 01:52 PM
My Windows Mobile can do this with a paid app through the winmo app store. I may do it before my next business trip. Basically allows the phone to transmit it's data signal via its wifi to up to four wifi devices. Also can do it via blutooth or cable. I don't think Sprint would appreciate this circumventing of its paid tethering service, but it's certainly possible.

Even better, HTC has an app ported by the nice folks at XDA Devp. to do this for free.

But back to Apple, I downloaded the IOS4 update to my ipod touch. Some pretty neat stuff in there. But as far as the multitasking goes, I think the implementation leaves a bit to be desired. It requires a few too many steps to actually close an app for my taste although it is nice being able to listen to Pandora in the background.

JohnE
06-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Still haven't pulled the trigger. They told me it'd ship July 5 if I order now.

2000XPSD
06-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I got mine a day early....nice phone, fast as hell, nice display....BUT...too bad you loose your signal when you hold it, that part kind of sucks.
It's all over the net...I noticed the problem after a few hours of use. Apple hasn't officially said anything but they said it's a software issue...NO WAY. It's def hardware and it looks like if you want to use your phone as a phone then you have to put a bumper on it.
But no way am i spending $30 for someones mistake...they better hand them out for free.
We'll see what they do tho

joecarew3
06-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Thats interesting. My brother actually went down to wally and picked it up today. He didn't order it at all. I spoke with him a couple times already and he didn't notice it. I will keep my eye on it and see if he has any complaints.

2000XPSD
06-24-2010, 02:32 PM
tell him to bridge the black lines on the sides with his fingers...then watch the bars disappear

east tx skier
06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I got mine a day early....nice phone, fast as hell, nice display....BUT...too bad you loose your signal when you hold it, that part kind of sucks.
It's all over the net...I noticed the problem after a few hours of use. Apple hasn't officially said anything but they said it's a software issue...NO WAY. It's def hardware and it looks like if you want to use your phone as a phone then you have to put a bumper on it.
But no way am i spending $30 for someones mistake...they better hand them out for free.
We'll see what they do tho

Totally a hardware issue. There's a tear down of the phone on engadget. The antennas are on the sides of the phone.

mramerman
06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Just got the new I-Phone 4.0 last night. Nothing short of amazing. While the functionality may not be that "cutting edge" relative to what Android has already accomplished; however, everything it does do, it does very, very well. The screen and resolution is absolutely amazing.

2000XPSD
06-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes it is nice...but would i wait in line for it??? NO Would I overpay for it??? NO
OS4 is the samething...yes the 3GS is slower and not as pretty but it's good enough.
The ip4 is buggy right now and if I knew of the problem I'm having and the yellow dot issue before I ordered mine I wouldn't of got it.
So if your looking to get one don't kill yourself trying to

stuartmcnair
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I ordered one for my wife when the preorder became available. Instead of having it delivered yesterday though I put it on hold for one month so they could work out any bugs and so Otter Box could get a case ready. Mainly for the Otter Box. Bugs I can deal with, scratches I cannot.

BrianM
06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Bummed about no Otter Box. But I have a screen protector and will be careful until the new ones are out. Screen is great on the 4. Big improvement over the 3GS.

bobx1
06-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Totally a hardware issue. There's a tear down of the phone on engadget. The antennas are on the sides of the phone.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/handheld/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225701648

east tx skier
06-28-2010, 04:53 PM
A lot of people are suspect about the software fix that may just make it show more bars. I think the best solution pitched so far is to just use a case so that your fingers aren't touching the antennae.

brucemac
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
i would highly recommend this one fwiw

http://www.myincipio.com/c=csEbbtyaoguBVNHT7HVSlc5DQ/product/IPHONE_4_IPH-512/Matte-Black-Ultra-Light-feather%C3%82-Slim-Form-Fitted-Case-for-iPhone-4.html

i have the feather on my 3GS and it's been terrific.

bobx1
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
A lot of people are suspect about the software fix that may just make it show more bars. I think the best solution pitched so far is to just use a case so that your fingers aren't touching the antennae.

Me too. Just thought it was interesting that a supposed software fix could change where the antennae is located - not making sense to me :confused:. I like Steve Jobs' reply - "just dont hold it there - case closed".

CruisinGA
06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Picked up mine this morning.

Had a couple Blackberrys, super easy to use, reliable, durable devices. However, BB just doesn't have a device to compete with the iphone in terms of making use of my expensive data plan. Email on the BB was great, I'm a little concerned it won't be as good on the iphone, we shall see.

Don't have any screen or reception problems thus far. Seems to be working great.

joecarew3
06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Well, I have played with the 4 for a while now, spoke with my brother a bunch on it and about it. He is having no issue with the drop in reception at all, in fact, the reception is much improved from my iphone 3. I have tried to connect the two points like everyone is saying, nothing happens. Who knows, the phone is pretty darn nice. I am going to wait for a little while before getting mine however. Let them work out all the kinks!

JohnE
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Hmmm...maybe a good thing I didn't pull the trigger yet??? According to Bloomberg the Iphone is coming to Verizon in January....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-29/verizon-wireless-said-to-start-offering-iphone-ending-at-t-s-exclusivity.html

decisions, decisions....

BrianM
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Seems like this Verizon rumor comes up everytime a new iPhone is launched. Last one I heard was it was supposed to be this July.

JohnE
06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Seems like this Verizon rumor comes up everytime a new iPhone is launched. Last one I heard was it was supposed to be this July.

From the little I've read this one seems more credible since the AT&T agreement is over at the end of this year.

east tx skier
06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Two weeks ago, I read it was coming to Sprint in November. Engadget also had the memo to Apple reps not to offer the buffer for the antenna.

jbkriss
06-30-2010, 02:25 PM
One more vote for the iPhone. I have the 3G and it is pretty awesome. I get the occasional dropped call, but that happens to everyone. Not knocking the droid because I have not seen it, but if Verizon was so stoked on it, why's their CEO still dying to get the iPhone? Plus, I (personally) have had bad luck with Motorola equip.

I'm not a huge app guy like other users, but there are some good ones... like the one that tells you where the closest boat ramp is and directions to it from your current location. And the Sling Box app is phenominal, especially if you're a sports enthusiast.

Another thing I like about it, is that it will keep my kids occupied and quiet in the Dr's office if necessary! Only bad thing is no insurance for it yet, but I haven't needed it so far.

east tx skier
06-30-2010, 09:44 PM
There is INS for it now, bit it's not cheap.

stuartmcnair
07-01-2010, 11:55 AM
best insurance for the iPhone is from Squaretrade.com. That's who we use and they are great.

BrianM
07-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Got a silicone 'case' for my iPhone4 this week to hold me over until the new Otter Box comes out. $11.99 to my door with a screen cover. Makes the antenna problem go away. Still kind of a stupid design flaw but I will never use my phone without a case anyway only reason I did for a week was unavailability. I actually prefer how the phone feels in the hand with the extra bulk.

east tx skier
07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm the opposite. I hate having something too bulky in my pocket. Problem is I want something with a bigger screen. Hopefully it won't need a case when I get it.

bobx1
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Lawsuits have begun

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9178771/Apple_AT_T_sued_over_iPhone_4_antenna_problems?tax onomyId=163&pageNumber=1

CruisinGA
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Brian- where'd you get the case from?

ETS- I'm with you. If I was terrified of damaging this new Iphone I'd never use a case, I like it as sleek and small as possible.

BrianM
07-01-2010, 05:14 PM
This is the one I picked up. http://www.igonemobile.com/product.aspx?p=24965
Brian- where'd you get the case from?

ETS- I'm with you. If I was terrified of damaging this new Iphone I'd never use a case, I like it as sleek and small as possible.

JohnE
07-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I think I'm going to try the Droid Incredible or possibly the new Droid X next month when I can upgrade and wait to see if the Iphone really comes to Verizon in January. If the rumor isn't true, then they at least are effective. It kept me from switching one of my phones (business plan) to AT&T.

bobx1
07-12-2010, 07:24 PM
And now Consumer Reports says "don't buy it."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179101/Don_t_buy_Apple_s_iPhone_4_Consumer_Reports_warns? source=CTWNLE_nlt_pm_2010-07-12

Kyle
07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Apple just emailed me today and notified me that my new Iphone 4 was in at the Apple store.

Here is what is goining through my head. I have an upgrade with AT&T and the cost of the phone is 199.

Do I go and get the Iphone 4 or do I go and upgrade to a Blackberry.

I have had every generation of Iphone out and have liked them a bunch. I really dont want a phone were I get a bunch of dropped calls as I am a business owner and cant afford to have a Mickey Mouse phone that does not work properly. The last few Iphones have been great and the AT&T service is great here in DFW.

I am not to wild about the dropped calls and a case idea with the new iphone4. I have also never owned a Blackberry, but know lots of people who do use them.

I also would like to have a phone that would accept the otter box case as I am hard on phones.

What do I do here.

ski_king
07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Unless your existing phone is dead or dieing, why not wait a few months for 4.5?

FancySauceRules
07-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Apple just emailed me today and notified me that my new Iphone 4 was in at the Apple store.

Here is what is goining through my head. I have an upgrade with AT&T and the cost of the phone is 199.

Do I go and get the Iphone 4 or do I go and upgrade to a Blackberry.

I have had every generation of Iphone out and have liked them a bunch. I really dont want a phone were I get a bunch of dropped calls as I am a business owner and cant afford to have a Mickey Mouse phone that does not work properly. The last few Iphones have been great and the AT&T service is great here in DFW.

I am not to wild about the dropped calls and a case idea with the new iphone4. I have also never owned a Blackberry, but know lots of people who do use them.

I also would like to have a phone that would accept the otter box case as I am hard on phones.

What do I do here.

Looks like the anti-apple marketing campaign won....you actually believe that junk. Watch Steve Jobs' presentation from last week. He has the hard data behind the issue, while the news stories that I saw had nothing to back up their claims of widespread dropped calls. All smart phones have increased dropped calls rates if you hold them wrong. The iPhone 4 is better than all 3 previous generations with respect to call reliability, and that reliability only gets better when you put a case on the phone.

TayMC197
07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I have the iphone 4 and it does drop signal when held as they say. I have yet to drop a call from it though, honestly it has had better reception that my 3g. I'm actually able to make calls at the river with my i4 and talk clearly but the 3g wouldn't ever connect and if it did, It would drop. Am I dissappointed with the phone, not really. If they fix the problem, even better but I'm more pleased with it than I was with the 3g.

now being able to tether, that is BS. Apple advertised the phone and phones in the past were capable of MSM, tethering, and face calling. What they didn't say is that since its capable of it, that they weren't going to offer it. All the other smart phones offer and offered these options from the beginning without any rate changes or specialties. Apple mislead the consumers in this case. I would like to see resolve for this issue most of all. I want to tether with unlimited usage.

mramerman
07-22-2010, 04:09 PM
I have had the Iphone 4.0 for a month. The phone clearly looses signal when held from the corner; however, all of the consistent places in which my old 3.0 phone dropped calls, the 4.0 prevails. I have found this phone to be very good device with my advance features. I have used most of the current HTC / android phones and Blackberry. While they possess great features, they all lack the sophisticated refinement of the Iphone.

Kyle
07-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Unless your existing phone is dead or dieing, why not wait a few months for 4.5?

I am using my sim card in a GO Phone that was 20 bucks from target. My old iphone is in a few pieces do to me not quality of phone. I was told by Apple to go get this POS while I had to wait for the iphone 4 to come in. I really want something better but need it to work.

TayMC197
07-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I am using my sim card in a GO Phone that was 20 bucks from target. My old iphone is in a few pieces do to me not quality of phone. I was told by Apple to go get this POS while I had to wait for the iphone 4 to come in. I really want something better but need it to work.

Shut up and get the I4, No one wants to hear you whine..... Gezzz Why don't you go fix your boat! better yet, loan me your trailer so I can at least use mine.

Kyle
07-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Shut up and get the I4, No one wants to hear you whine..... Gezzz Why don't you go fix your boat! better yet, loan me your trailer so I can at least use mine.

Right.........this last month I have been OTR because of no boat. Not Whining just a good ole pain in the ars.

BrianM
07-22-2010, 05:47 PM
The OtterBox was released for the Iphone4 this past Wednesday just in case anyone was waiting for them.

Kyle
10-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I still am using a POS phone and am still needing a good phone. I have waited for the new Iphone and 4.5 and dont see it yet. Are people still having issues with the Iphone 4. Does it work like it supposed to or does it drop calls. I am very curious to see the otter box for the I4. I am also curious to see what the 4.5 looks like and if it is worth waiting on that phone. I am so sick of texting on a GO phone and pressing 555773394777222 to make a word. I had the 3G but now am wanting a new phone like today. Should I get 3Gs or Iphone4 or keep waining on 4.5?

Thanks

BrianM
10-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Go with the Iphone 4. Haven't had a bit of a problem with mine. Otter Box is a must have IMO.

Kyle
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Go with the Iphone 4. Haven't had a bit of a problem with mine. Otter Box is a must have IMO.

What otterbox do you have. I see on their website that there are 3 to choose from. I have not seen any of the 3 in person. Looks like the defender style is probably going to be pretty sturdy as I am very hard on phones.

east tx skier
10-18-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm up for a new phone soon. I would love to get an iphone, but have no desire to go to AT&T. What is the latest news on a CDMA iphone? Verizon or sprint? We are on Sprint for the long haul and Verizon's plans are way overpriced. I would hold out a few months if they brought the iphone to sprint. Otherwise, I suppose the EVO is my best option.

sand2snow22
10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Otherwise, I suppose the EVO is my best option.

If by EVO you mean the HTC droid, I would say go for it. I recently had a chance to check it out. Two friends recently got them. Both used to have Iphones and they like their HTC with Sprint way better (Probably b/c ATT sucks). I would get one if I was with Sprint, but I have Verizon. Yes, they are overpriced. A new droid with a keypad is coming out in November, so I will make a decision, then.....

BrianM
10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
What otterbox do you have. I see on their website that there are 3 to choose from. I have not seen any of the 3 in person. Looks like the defender style is probably going to be pretty sturdy as I am very hard on phones.

I have the Defender.

east tx skier
10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
If by EVO you mean the HTC droid, I would say go for it. I recently had a chance to check it out. Two friends recently got them. Both used to have Iphones and they like their HTC with Sprint way better (Probably b/c ATT sucks). I would get one if I was with Sprint, but I have Verizon. Yes, they are overpriced. A new droid with a keypad is coming out in November, so I will make a decision, then.....

Good to know. As far as I know, the EVO is not the same as the droid. It's an HTC phone, which I currently have (touch diamond) and like. It's an Android operating system.

Will probably go that route.

ctjahn
10-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Feel free to contact me offline.....And I can offer my opinion. I am the working CIO and technical lead for a bank including cell phones. We have used everything from windows based to Nokia to Apple Iphones (no blackberries)...

Although I do agree with some saying ATT is not the best carrier in or area (Although improving over the last 5 years). Best coverage from my consulting days traveling the country is with US Cellular although there phones have lagged in the past)

Cj

76S&S
10-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I recently upgraged from a bb (AT&T) to the droid x (Verizon). I have been extremely happy with the x and the Verizon coverage.

Forrest-X45
10-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Interesting......all of my family in the Portland area switched to AT&T from Verizon because they felt they sucked. Everytime I called my Grandmother in Portland she didn't have a signal. She switched to AT&T and when I call her now I can actually talk to her. What a concept......

BTW - Verizon is fine here in WA but AT&T is better especially if you are east of the mountains. Where the good lakes are. :D

sand2snow22
10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Exact opposite. My real estate broker has the Iphone and AT&T and it's constantly like those Verizon commercials. Can you hear me now? His coverage is terrible and he drops calls left and right. A good friend has AT&T and he doesn't have coverage at his house :( Texting works for him though :)

j2nh
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
AT&T does now offer the MicroCell nationwide. I had from "one to none" bars in my home, no 3g and with the MicroCell 5 bars and full 3g. The MicroCell runs off my cable modem and covers my house and probably out to 75 feet outside the house.

The downside is that no way I should have had to pay another $150 to get something I already paid for to work. I live in an area that AT&T claims as 3g covered but we barely have any service at all. The MicroCell is a viable option for either an office or home if you live or work in a dead zone.

JohnE
10-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I ended up going with the HTC Incredible and am very happy with it. Glad I stayed with Verizon bc the AT&T service here is ok, but not nearly as good as verizon. Sprint coverage here still is lousy. Though I keep hearing the rumors that Verizon is getting the Iphone. I have 2 upgrades in my back pocket that I am saving in case it happens next year.

FancySauceRules
10-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Exact opposite. My real estate broker has the Iphone and AT&T and it's constantly like those Verizon commercials. Can you hear me now? His coverage is terrible and he drops calls left and right. A good friend has AT&T and he doesn't have coverage at his house :( Texting works for him though :)

Exact opposite here, my wife and I live in Wilsonville and work in Portland. She has Verizon, I have AT&T. Data and voice has been better for us on AT&T. This wasn't true a year ago. I was having fits on AT&T. Not sure what happened, but I can't wait till Verizon gets the iPhone....AT&T will get only get better by people fleeing for what they think is a better service.

TXMC-06X2
10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I had a buddy that used to say the world was made up of two differnet kinds of people. Iphone people and Blackberry people. He was a Blackberry guy and had been for a long time. He recently purchased the new Blackberry Torch and within a week he was hating it. I told him he should get an Iphone 4. He bought the Iphone a few days later and told me that he wished he had gone to the Iphone sooner. He said the texting and e-mailing was easier and they had a ton more apps for the Iphone than the Blackberry.

Kyle
10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I have had AT&T for at least 6 to 8 years and I love the coverage. I have had sprint and Tmobile. Both services have caused me to replace my windshield in my truck. When the phone doesnt work it goes flying. I have had dropped calls with AT&T but it is very rare and its when I am out in the middle of no were. When I get the dropped call I can normally redial and get service, so no dead zones around here for me.

I didnt want a dork berry as there is too much going on and seem like something that I dont want to learn to use. Apple products are so simple to use and really dont need instructions to use them. I decieded on a Iphone4. Got it with the Otter Box (black on black), and a blue tooth ear piece to use while I am sitting in front of my computer working and trying to take notes. So far I love the phone and the thing has worked great. My girlfriend has a 3GS here and I have checked her phone and mine for the bar streghth and they are the same for the most part. Some times hers is higher with 3GS but then sometimes mine is with the I4. So far I feel like I made a good decision.

east tx skier
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I really don't have a problem with coverage from any of the carriers. I had AT&T some time ago and it was fine. I just don't care for their plans. I can get more from sprint for the same or less money. But for that, I would have jumped to the iphone a long time ago. Love the itouch.

CruisinGA
10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Still loving my Iphone 4. The camera (HD video and still) is awesome. The screen is awesome. Battery life is at least twice what my GF's droid does.

Had AT&T forever (cingular before that), service is everywhere, but no 3G more than 50 miles outside Atlanta unless near another city. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and woods so that is a downside.

Interestingly, I pretty much never had a dropped call with my Blackberrys, but have them more frequently with my Iphone. It also always seems like I am talking to a Verizon customer when it happens...

Footin
10-20-2010, 08:30 PM
I got a Droid X yesterday, awesome phone. This is my first touch screen so we are still getting use to each other.

JimN
10-20-2010, 09:36 PM
AT&T does now offer the MicroCell nationwide. I had from "one to none" bars in my home, no 3g and with the MicroCell 5 bars and full 3g. The MicroCell runs off my cable modem and covers my house and probably out to 75 feet outside the house.

The downside is that no way I should have had to pay another $150 to get something I already paid for to work. I live in an area that AT&T claims as 3g covered but we barely have any service at all. The MicroCell is a viable option for either an office or home if you live or work in a dead zone.

They don't guarantee service, they only say it should be good. The microcell is also for houses and other buildings that cause major attenuation of the signal and in cases like that, there's no guarantee that anyone's service will work. There are dead spots for every provider and they need to know if you're in one. Whether you get through to tier 2 technical people is based on how you ask to talk to someone who may be able to help you. I'm doing some work at a house at the edge of a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan and she has T-Mobile because she travels internationally and wants to be able to take calls from clients wherever she happens to be. The problem is that her house is in a black hole for cell phone coverage and it doesn't matter which provider is being used. I have ATT and, like everyone else who happens to be there, I need to either be on the landing between the 1st and 2nd floors or outside. I did talk to T-Mobile Monday and they said a new tower is going up now, so it should improve greatly.

Most cell phone providers have something like the ATT micro-cell, also called a cell phone extender/enhancer or a femto-cell. They work the same way- plug it into the router, get it near a window the first time so it can get GPS coordinates (the ATT doesn't need this) and it should be good for about 5000 sq ft of coverage, depending on the construction of the building. Cell phone systems often use landlines when the RF system is overloaded/down or there's a cell tower needed far from the rest of the system. Usually, the sites hand off to each other as the caller moves but when the site is far from the rest, it just sends the call through the landline and the caller may have a dead zone in the middle. The router acts like the landline when these extenders are used.

j2nh
10-20-2010, 11:51 PM
They don't guarantee service, they only say it should be good. The microcell is also for houses and other buildings that cause major attenuation of the signal and in cases like that, there's no guarantee that anyone's service will work. There are dead spots for every provider and they need to know if you're in one. Whether you get through to tier 2 technical people is based on how you ask to talk to someone who may be able to help you. I'm doing some work at a house at the edge of a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan and she has T-Mobile because she travels internationally and wants to be able to take calls from clients wherever she happens to be. The problem is that her house is in a black hole for cell phone coverage and it doesn't matter which provider is being used. I have ATT and, like everyone else who happens to be there, I need to either be on the landing between the 1st and 2nd floors or outside. I did talk to T-Mobile Monday and they said a new tower is going up now, so it should improve greatly.

Most cell phone providers have something like the ATT micro-cell, also called a cell phone extender/enhancer or a femto-cell. They work the same way- plug it into the router, get it near a window the first time so it can get GPS coordinates (the ATT doesn't need this) and it should be good for about 5000 sq ft of coverage, depending on the construction of the building. Cell phone systems often use landlines when the RF system is overloaded/down or there's a cell tower needed far from the rest of the system. Usually, the sites hand off to each other as the caller moves but when the site is far from the rest, it just sends the call through the landline and the caller may have a dead zone in the middle. The router acts like the landline when these extenders are used.

Actually Jim, AT&T checks your location when you purchase the MicroCell and does guarantee service or they refund your money. The AT&T MicroCell does require a GPS lock in order to work and this was a huge problem during the rollout of the product. As a requirement of 911 service the GPS coordinates must match your physical address. AT&T contracted a third party for mapping matches and many customers, myself included, did not have coordinates that matched a mapped street address. Evidently the maps being used were woefully inadequate so AT&T would have to submit a request to the third party to match the GPS and street map locations. In my case that process took two weeks. Since then the MicroCell has worked pretty much flawlessly and provided me with 3g in an county that despite advertised claims, has no 3g coverage. This is no substitute for cell towers but if you do a lot of calling from an specific area that has poor service it works really well. If memory serves me correctly the MicroCell can be programed to handle up to 12 cell numbers and those numbers must be programed into your online MicroCell account.

JimN
10-21-2010, 03:21 AM
Actually Jim, AT&T checks your location when you purchase the MicroCell and does guarantee service or they refund your money. The AT&T MicroCell does require a GPS lock in order to work and this was a huge problem during the rollout of the product.

I meant cell service in general isn't guaranteed. It's good to know someone guarantees their products because I asked at the Verizon store and they don't. I asked "what if it doesn't do what she needs?" and the guy said it's returnable with a $35 re-stocking fee.

Oh, boy.