PDA

View Full Version : Tristar, Maristar or Prostar

Jordan Wood
06-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I am about to purchase a Mastercraft in the next couple of months, hopefully. Somebody please tell me what boat gives the best wake for wakeboarding; Tristar, Maristar, or Prostar. I know I'm getting at least a 22' boat, but can't afford anything newer than early 90s. I thought it was the Tristar. The Tristar 220 88-92 year model is what I think I want.

Thanks

Jordan

AirJunky
06-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Prostars never came that long. 20'6" for the 205 was about the longest.
Tristars lose a bit of interior room due to the swimstep being a part of the hull........ room for fat sacks.
So Maristar would probably be the best. They were made up to 24'. Inboard direct drives till about 1995, then their v-drives. Bolt on swimstep, tons of room in the boat for friends & fat sacks.

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Prostar 205s were 20'5" from 92 to 95 and 20'7" thereafter. Prostar 209s were about 20'9" if memory serves. But it sounds like you're looking at older boats.

Tennesseeski
07-04-2005, 08:02 AM
I had a 88 tri-star that had a nice wake. If you add fat sacks then it gets even better. You don't have much room in the tri-star like was said due to the built in platform. Although the platform is the thing I miss the most about that boat. The tri-star is no where close to 22' long to my knowledge, at least mine wasn't. Never rode behind a mari-star so can't say on that. Prostars throw a nice wake and I think the first couple of years Mastercraft put out "wakeboard" boats they just used the prostar 205 hull and added a tower. I could be wrong about that but I think I read that somewhere. Like east tx said though, they are not 22', but are great boats IMHO. Which ever you choose you will be happy cause it's a MASTERCRAFT!!

SteveO
07-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Jordan, Good luck on the search. Your profile did not show your location, but boat trader on line is a great place to start your search. I found the following while surfing this morning. The boat is at the dealer I use, so I'd be happy to look at it if you would like, shoot me a PM..http://www.boattraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/6/5/3/79772753.htm

lakes Rick
07-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I had a 88 tri-star that had a nice wake. If you add fat sacks then it gets even better. You don't have much room in the tri-star like was said due to the built in platform. Although the platform is the thing I miss the most about that boat. The tri-star is no where close to 22' long to my knowledge, at least mine wasn't. Never rode behind a mari-star so can't say on that. Prostars throw a nice wake and I think the first couple of years Mastercraft put out "wakeboard" boats they just used the prostar 205 hull and added a tower. I could be wrong about that but I think I read that somewhere. Like east tx said though, they are not 22', but are great boats IMHO. Which ever you choose you will be happy cause it's a MASTERCRAFT!!

The majority of tristars were the 19' 190 model.. The 220? model was 22' but I believe they are pretty rare, not valuable rare, just not many made.. They came in two platforms, the walk around and the regular open bow. Walk around is a little different as the walk area to the open bow is over to one side.. Kinda bass boat looking.... I do not believe a close bow was available in the 22' TriStar..

The TriStar ski platform was built in to the hull, so you lost close to 2' of interior length, but the TriStar is wider, by 6" I think??? In the 190 Tristar the difference in interior length is very noticable... You could also get a Passenger swivel seat in the 190 versus a backwards seating arrangement as in most comp boats... I believe there was a different model name for this type of seating but a senior moment has affected my memory......

The 190 is not a rough water boat.. It isnt a medium water boat either......

Hoosier Bob
07-04-2005, 07:15 PM
190 and wakeboarding? I recently slalomed behind an X-9 and I can tell you I don't think I could sink my 190 and get that big of a wake. I believe the 220V was made around then was it not? V-Drive Maristar would be my choice. If $ are a concern go with the Tristar. You can find them in very nice shape for a very good price. I have ski'd (slalom) behind the Tristar and it was decent. I don't know that decent means wakeboard decent. No substitute for cubic inches, size does matter and I believe the Maristar would do a better job. It is a very cool ride. I could be wrong. Leroy has a Maristar and I believe he could help you.

Leroy
07-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Definitely the Maristar (father of the x-boats) would be the best wake for wakeboarding.Give a few more details of what you want if you would like an "expert panel" helping you find your dream vessel! I find it amazing at what people can find on this board!

Jordan Wood
07-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Sounds like the Maristar is what I would want. My dream boat would be one of the x-stars, but, I don't think I have quite enough money at my age to be buying that kind of boat. Something in the range of 13-15 grand would be what I could handle. A Maristar about 22' with enough seating for my five brothers, three sisters, and of course mom and dad would be great. I have looked everywhere I can think of here in Georgia, but can not find one. I know it's hard to find one this time of year. So hopefully by the end of the season one will pop up. Thanks for the help and if ya'll hear of one close to GA let me know.

LakePirate
07-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Where are you at in Georgia?

I have an 89 Tristar and it is miserable in rough water, but with the wider hull and some ballast it throws up a sick wake. Of course this is what I am told as I don't wakeboard but have heard that it was ahead of its time as far as wake at 18-20 mph.

stevo137
07-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Where are you at in Georgia?

I have an 89 Tristar and it is miserable in rough water, but with the wider hull and some ballast it throws up a sick wake. Of course this is what I am told as I don't wakeboard but have heard that it was ahead of its time as far as wake at 18-20 mph.
Pirate, our first MC was an 88 Tristar and it did throw a mean wake at 18-20. I pulled a few boarders and they liked it.
Ah, the memories!

LakePirate
07-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Something about the wider hull causes this phenenomon (sp?)

A couple less stickers and it looks just like mine.

Jordan Wood
07-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Milledgeville. Lake Sinclair. I have a 1996 Sunbird Corsair 198 with a cuddy cabin. White with teal stripe. I installed a Monster Tower last year right after I got it. It throws out a nice wake. The guys that have been wakeboarding for awhile really like boarding behind it.

Are you on Lake Tobesofkee

LakePirate
07-12-2005, 08:57 AM
We run over to Tobo during the week for a set or two and early on the weekends if we don't go to our lake house in Alabama.

If you would like a ride behind a tristar I will be more than happy to pull you. Just let me know.

Jordan Wood
07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks, I might do that sometime