PDA

View Full Version : Ohio - Access to Slalom Course

Lottawatta
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
The Ohio Waterski Association is sponsoring "Open Lake Nights" for public water skiers to get access to a slalom course and limited coaching. Info here: www.skiowsa.com . The cost is minimal. Basically, private lake owners are opening up their sites to allow skiers who don't get a regular opportunity to ski on a course the chance to get hooked on slalom. There are many nights all summer long at sites around the state. It will be a great opportunity to get kids involved in traditional three event skiing. I am not sure how many kids or parents know that most all major universities in Ohio (and the midwest) have collegiate water ski teams (OSU, OU, Miami, BG, U.C., U.D., etc.). The OWSA is also sponsoring junior development clinics for kids across the state to get coaching from basics to advanced slalom, tricks, and jumping. We also offer help in getting slalom courses set up on public water. If anyone needs more info or has specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Lottawatta

ntidsl
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
:)

Hey lotta...Jodi Fisher will be in the area late July...any interest email him or I. He messaged me yesterday about Extreme but I am not longer a member.

93Prostar190
06-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey Lotta! great information.

Our Club Mid Ohio Water Ski Club is participating in 2 of the Open Lakes nights coming up. We are one of the clubs in the state on a Public Water Way, O'Shaughnessy Reservoir, and are looking forward to hosting anyone that wants to get more familiar with the course or any type of watersport. Our Open Lake nights are July 20 and August 11, come join us!

We are also hosting the Ohio MC Bash on August 21st so we can share the course and Lake with all you MC owners that make the trip!

Craig
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Lottawatta,

Just want to say thank you for posting this and thank you to all those involved in putting this together. I wish more sites had the foresight to do things like this. If they did, skiing may be much more prevalent than it is today.

I hope this event(s) is/are successful, be sure to post pictures of the fun!

Lottawatta
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
ntidsl:
I talked to Jodi about it last year, but putting a clinic together like that is hard work. I had Marcus Brown in two years ago for two days of the face to face tour. It was an awesome time and we were lucky to have Marcus, Jen, and Terry Winter those two days. Lots of fun, but lots of organization and if people commit to show up and then cancel at the last minute, I'm out a few $.

93Prostar190:
Thanks to you and your club for participating. My second college tournament ever was at your site over 20 years ago. As the time gets closer, we may drag the family up for the Ohio MC Bash, we'll see.

Craig:
Hey, no need to thank me, I just want others to know just how addicting and fun going around those buoys is. As we all know, waterskiing is such a good family sport. We want others to know how much fun the course and eventually competitions can be. Indiana is doing something similar with the ski league. I don't know all the details, but I am sure they can be found here: http://indianawaterski.org/

We have tried really hard to make tournaments in Ohio as non-intimidating as possible. With the handicapped system we are using in Ohio now, the novice skier can go out and compete with the seasoned veteran on an even playing field. Win or lose, the seasoned veteran still gets his score for the national ranking list, and the novice gets a big smile on his/her face knowing they were only going 26mph in the slalom course, but beat someone who ran 35 off. Most all of the tournaments are set up so that you don't sit around all day and only get one chance to ski, you will likely get at least three chances each tournament. I know most on this site are either wakeboarders or recreational watersports enthusiasts, however we are all in the same boat and share the same passion for smooth water. If we can attract some crossover skiers, or people who may only see a course once a year on their vacation to Cumberland, or some kids in highschool who will be going to college soon and might want to join a ski team, then that is what we are after.