PDA

View Full Version : 89 PS 190 Face Lift

joecarew3
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Hello all! Just wanted an opinion or two about painting my Prostar. Its an older boat and the colors just don't do it for me anymore. I have done quite a bit of research on painting over gel coat and have came to the decision that I am going to paint the boat. My worry is trying to update the look of an old boat. I was thinking of going solid black with new graphics. What do you all think? Has anyone else painted their boat? (Except you Demolition Man) I appreciate it!

cds02
06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I have an 89 190 as well and i re-done mine last year. I will tell you this and its your boat so you do want you want. I opted to gel-coat mine back in black right where yours is green. I am a painter and do it alot and talked my self out of automotive paint because so much sun exposure and being in the water alot. I have painted car paint alot along with Dupont Imron, which is what is on class 8 trucks. The Imron is a hell of a lot more durable that automotive base/clear, single stage or any of it, and i was still worried about it not lasting. Yes you could do it in whatever you want and it would prob last a while but it wont last NEAR as long as gel-coat. The money i paid to have a guy buy the gel-coat, sand it and paint it and cut and buff it, i wasnt out anymore money. Now i got a good deal but you should compare prices. I did however paint my trailer in Imron Single stage and didnt worry much about it because its in and out of the water in no time so.... The only bad thing about the gel-coat is it is THICK and you will have to cut and buff it. Its has a lot of peel, but after you get done, it looks just as good as base/clear. Just takes a little more work and will assure you that it is harder/more durable stuff. Thats why they use it.

joecarew3
06-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the reply! I sent you a pm. Just a scanario for everyone else who might be reading this. I keep my boat in the garage. Its in the water on weekends and a couple nights a week. Living in Northern Wis, the boat is parked all winter for about five to six months. I was hoping to get about ten to fifteen years out of Imron paint. I know it is going to take a little more upkeep than gelcoat, but it does cost a ton less. I had a couple estimates on gelcoating the entire boat... it ended up being more than I got the boat for. Obviously not an option at this time for me. So what do you guys think about this situation. Curious to hear if anyone else has done what Im thinking about. Thanks in advance for the info!

Joe