PDA

View Full Version : Touareg Owners....Help Me Out Please!

skeeler
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey Touareg owners, looking for a little help from you.
I recently purchased a 2010 Touareg without the Navigation system, and was looking at maybe putting in an aftermarket system. Anyone install a aftermarket dvd/nav stereo in their Touareg before? I have installed a million stereos, and this car scares the crap out of me! Between the steering wheel controls and the Mulit-Function in-dash display, the thing sounds like a nightmare.
Plus, I keep hearing different things from different installers I have talked to. Some say it isn't even possible to put in an aftermarket stereo. I am not sure what to do.
So any help would be great.
Thanks in advance! Shawn

j2nh
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Shawn.
After owning two of them I can tell you that they can be very finicky when it comes to electronics.
My advice would be to look on,
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/
and search for an answer and if you can't find it ask the question. Great bunch of enthusiasts and an active board.
Jim

skeeler
06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Shawn.
After owning two of them I can tell you that they can be very finicky when it comes to electronics.
My advice would be to look on,
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/
and search for an answer and if you can't find it ask the question. Great bunch of enthusiasts and an active board.
Jim

Jim - Thanks for the input! That was actually my first stop. Found some good info, but no one gave up any information on a 2010 or responded. This was kind of my last resort. :D

oxberger
06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I've seen after market installs on these., but done by high end stereo installers. Not sure what the aftermarket expense was, but all seemed really satisfied with it once done. No issues. Volkswagen doesn't offer a dvd/nav from the factory just the nav/radio and they are expensive. $1800 new from the dealer w/ out install. $1100 refurb from dealer w/ out install. Were you looking so that you had the dvd option for the kids or did you just really like the dvd/nav combo?

skeeler
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
I've seen after market installs on these., but done by high end stereo installers. Not sure what the aftermarket expense was, but all seemed really satisfied with it once done. No issues. Volkswagen doesn't offer a dvd/nav from the factory just the nav/radio and they are expensive. $1800 new from the dealer w/ out install. $1100 refurb from dealer w/ out install. Were you looking so that you had the dvd option for the kids or did you just really like the dvd/nav combo?
I have seen online a few high end installs as well, but they basically replaced everything; headunit, speakers, amps, the whole works. I just wanted to have dvd playback capabilities, sat radio, and navigation. I should of just got the factory option, but they didn't have a Touareg with that option in the color and other options I wanted. Got a quote from the dealer last week, factory "navigation system/radio" is $2,900. Really, thats it!!!! :confused: I just was hoping to swap out the factory head with a double din aftermarket unit, and at most loss the steering wheel controls and the radio display in the center of instrument panel. I just don't know if it will work since no one I talk to has ever done it. So just kind of up in the air right now.

oxberger
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Skeeler that sucks. I don't know what to tell you. If you do go back to the dealer though, they're ripping you off on the price of that even if that's installed. According to Volkswagen, it only takes .6 hours to install the factory unit. You might be able to go to a pull a part place and get a good unit out of a wrecked Toureg and have an installer put it in for you, then with the money you saved add aftermarket sat radio (if I remember right that radio had 2 aux inputs). Just a suggestion. Wish I could help out more.

jmcentire
06-09-2010, 12:52 PM
No experience with the Touareg, but I have a few audis...

You should be able to replace the head unit with an aftermarket, but the steering wheel controls and the display in the cluster won't work(without a lot of work, and even then it still might not be possible). If it is a bose system you either have to hook up your h/u's pre-amp outs to the bose amp's input or replace the speakers, then you can use your choice of amp or the h/u internal amp. If it isn't a bose system you should be good to go on like a normal aftermarket install.

skeeler
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
No experience with the Touareg, but I have a few audis...

You should be able to replace the head unit with an aftermarket, but the steering wheel controls and the display in the cluster won't work(without a lot of work, and even then it still might not be possible). If it is a bose system you either have to hook up your h/u's pre-amp outs to the bose amp's input or replace the speakers, then you can use your choice of amp or the h/u internal amp. If it isn't a bose system you should be good to go on like a normal aftermarket install.
Thanks for the input. I do just have the standard system with no navigation. Hopefully the aftermarket unit will do the job with little to no work!

fskof
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Contact this guy:

http://www.tm-techmark.com/tri.htm

He is the electronics expert on the Touaregs

skeeler
06-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Contact this guy:

http://www.tm-techmark.com/tri.htm

He is the electronics expert on the Touaregs

fskof -
It was worth a try! His response to my email, "I have no idea. Thanks Jim"
:confused:

CottagerGreg
06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
hmmm this is a tricky one.. I'd go for a unit out of a crashed unit.. swap and plug and play...

You'd need to find a really high end supplier to put a nav in the Touareg as so much it tied to it.

This would be very simular to a Porsche pepper so try some "dub" shops.