PDA

View Full Version : how about some parasailing

bepresto
06-28-2005, 11:35 AM
doesnt this look like fun to do behind a mastercraft.

wiltok
06-28-2005, 12:10 PM
I want to see the landing :)

bepresto
06-28-2005, 12:20 PM
sorry no pictures of the landing. but all you do is get the parasailer to about 15 feet above the water, and pull the throttle back to neutral and then put in reverse just briefly so you do not drag them under water.

Mag_Red
06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
:cool: That last picture reminded me of when we would fly our fixed wing kite. Every damned boat on the lake would follow us around :rolleyes: to the point where you were afraid to turn around.

Footin
06-28-2005, 12:58 PM
I got a parasail about 6 years ago, don't use it much but when we do get the chance to fly it behind our Mastercraft it is a lot of fun.

tex
06-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Kinda like tubing. I don't like to ride anything that i'm not driving!

rodltg2
06-28-2005, 01:20 PM
looks crazy

bcampbe7
06-28-2005, 01:21 PM
My wife and I parasailed in Jamaica while on our honeymoon. It was great! Where did you find a parasail? How do you "reel" them back in?

LakePirate
06-28-2005, 01:22 PM
3 boats and a jet ski - all following too close to a "skier"

Footin
06-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I start them off a beach and land them in shallow water.

AirJunky
06-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Lots of fun. But you'd better run it past your insurance company first. Many companies exclude them specifically.

bepresto
06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
found some pics of the landing. the other boats are there so no one goes between me and the 750 foot of rope that is in the water.
the blue boat is my brother who is there to pick up the middle of the parasail so it does not get tangled up to bad.

robisjo
06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the board. We have been parasailing for about 7 or 8 years now. It is a lot of fun. It seems to me like 750 feet of rope is a lot of rope. We use 200-300 feet depending on experience and weather conditions. You have a lot more control with 200 feet of rope than you do with 300 ft. We normally go about 250, which gives seems to be an optimal length as the chute is more responsive to the speed of the boat. We can make people walk on water or dunk them in the water at that rope length. Also as far as landings go, we take them up as high as the chute will go, cut the throttle and turn around like you would a skier. Meanwhile, another person is pulling in the rope. I have never had anyone hit the water too hard. Keep in mind that wind plays a huge factor.

lakes Rick
06-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Probably 20 years ago my "buddies" acquired an ascending chute..

First time out, the "quick release" we built, a coupler, didn't work so good.. We figured you could just pull on the rope with one hand, while you were in the air, and release it with the other.. Turned out the rope was a "bit" tight for this.. Like a guiter string according to the first sucker, er person up in it..

After drying the chute someone hooked the harness up wrong.. The next person up, went up about 20 feet, chute rotated and slammed em on the ground like a ball at the end of the string... LOTS of alcohol must loosen you up, as he walked away from that one..

Next time out, we were launching between some cliffs, and as the wind grabbed the chute, it blew it way over and smacked that person into the rock cliffs like a ragdoll... Again alcohol must have been working it miracles that day.... nobody hurt...

I think the chute is in Kens attic, where it belongs, never to see sunlight again...

bepresto
06-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the board. We have been parasailing for about 7 or 8 years now. It is a lot of fun. It seems to me like 750 feet of rope is a lot of rope. We use 200-300 feet depending on experience and weather conditions. You have a lot more control with 200 feet of rope than you do with 300 ft. We normally go about 250, which gives seems to be an optimal length as the chute is more responsive to the speed of the boat. We can make people walk on water or dunk them in the water at that rope length. Also as far as landings go, we take them up as high as the chute will go, cut the throttle and turn around like you would a skier. Meanwhile, another person is pulling in the rope. I have never had anyone hit the water too hard. Keep in mind that wind plays a huge factor.

we have two ropes that we put together, a 400' section along with the 350' section. it gets you way up there. I will agree that the shorter rope lenghts are easier to control with the boats, but sometimes you just want to go real high.

jimmer2880
06-28-2005, 04:30 PM
been sailing all my life. Got the scars to prove it. Around here, we don't have nice sandy beaches, only concrete boat ramps to take off of. Gets interesting every now & then.

We've flown everything from 250' down to 50' of rope. We would do the 50' for a show we did for the local retarded citizen's association on the extremely windy days. I was the only one dumb enough to go up those days. Go figure 8p
Lots of fun. But - need to be sure to stay updated on gear. The driver is by far the most important person in the chain.

Ryan
06-28-2005, 04:55 PM
There are three on Ebay right now.

parasail (http://search.ebay.com/parasail_Sporting-Goods_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsa catZ382QQsojsZ1)

Plus a Parasail Boat (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4557869090&category=26432&sspagename=WDVW)

Bongo
06-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Been there, done that. Sounds about like Jimmer's situation.

We had a 200' rope and a 300' rope. Usually used the 200', as control was easier and it appeared to be in better shape. Having not seen it done before, "we" decided I'd be the first up and my buddy would be the driver. Primary launch pad was fairly steep but even grade down to water's edge, where it became a 5' rocky drop into the water. As I said "Hit It!", I'm trying to decide whether to dive head first or feet first if I get as far as the rocky drop. Two steps and I popped up like a cork. MasterCraft pull, of course.

One time, we had a float plane take off beside our boat as I was up in the air. I was thinking "Geez, I hope he sees me.". Scared me a bit -- but I'm sure he was still hundreds of yards away.

To drop, we'd go into the wind and let the rider fall into the lake. 'chute would end up wet, but it seemed to be the safest method.

It did help that my buddy at the controls had some moderately wild hobbies, but was very, very safety aware.

Bongo