PDA

View Full Version : What's thought to be transmission Issue

Ethomass
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, I've done a bit of searching on transmission slippage and think i may have a few ideas, some help would be appreciated. The boat is a 2001 MC PS205v, i have had for 1 year. Brand new engine (old one hydrolocked salt water bad..). Yesterday when I was out on the water after cruising and ideling fine for around an hour the trans started acting up. When placing into gear the engine would sputter, i then would take it out of gear and engine would rev high ~2000rpn and back down to 650. When engaging the throttle to get boat on plane it would slowly get up to speed (with a great deal of slippage) and cruise.

The fluid was just below the full line, when checking immediately after the engine was turned off, the color was red which is a good sign.

Filling the transmission all the way up will be my first move, any other ideas?

Ethomass
06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Alright I have some more information after taking the boat down to the water today. Idle is great, when reving the engine OUT of gear it runs great. As soon as it is put into gear, forward or reverse it stalls. Last week mechanic has to replace the ignition module. And it looks like my oil pressure might be a little high, I have not gotten a reliable gauge on it.

Cliff Notes to last two posts- New engine, new ignition module, boat starts and idles great. Put in gear and stalls.

Luv2Ski
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Is there any chance you simply need to increase your idle speed and/or fuel mixture? Also, there could be a chance something is wrong with that new ignition module. Hard to say without experiencing it, but a stalling issue could manifest from tuning issues such as these as soon as the prop load is applied to the engine.

From the sound of it, you may be more than an ill-tuned engine though. I am wondering if the transmission is applying an excessive load to the engine. If you broke a clutch plate or have some other foreign material in one of the gears it would kill the engine pretty quick when you put it in gear. Can you tell if the engine is getting loaded heavily when you put it in gear or is the engine just stalling? What happens if you quickly put it in gear and apply throttle, will it run fine then?

Wonder also if there is any chance you are in both forward and reverse at the same time. Perhaps a warn valve body, clogged passage, or warn out seal could cause this.

Wish I could provide a more helpful answer for you. I think I am just helping you hold the fishing pole at this point!

Ethomass
06-09-2010, 09:23 AM
When i put it in gear and give it more throttle it will get up on plane. It at first sputters then gets moving.

When the ignition module was replaced the boat ran great for an hour or so, then this problem presented itself. Could this be a case of bad gas and or clogged fuel filter (soon to be pump), where the boat is running fine until a load is presented? The prop spins freely by hand, when on the trailer. I hope this information helps a little.

I can try adjusting the idle. When i quickly put in gear and take it out the engine will rev high 2k rpms and slowly back to 650 idle.

goodelsha
06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I was having this EXACT problem. Boat would stumble and stall when I put in gear unlless I gave it more throttle..I found a bad wire at my #8 plug. Replaced it and no more stalling.

Ethomass
06-11-2010, 01:11 PM
well thats great new. This weekend I am going to start with plugs/wires, then change fuel filter (does anyone know the part number 2001 MC PS205v?) and changed the gas. I'm hoping this works.

goodelsha
06-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I just replaced mine a month ago in my 2000 205V, but I don't have the P/N with me. Your dealer can get it for you, or order it online. It's located at the bottom of the fuel pump in your tank. I ordered it online and it came w/ a replacement gasket too. It was about $30.