PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning vacation

H2OGirl
06-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Lance and I are thinking of driving to Tenn to see our new boat in production. Turns out I am on vacation that week, guess it was meant to be. Other than the obvious, go tour the factory and check up on our new boat, what else does Tenn have to offer worth looking checking out or anything along the way from Wisconsin to Tennessee? We are looking for some suggestions of things to do on Vacation. We thought about checking out a ski/board school while out there. Hooking up with some TMC member for an afternoon. We've never been east so not sure what is out there? Any suggestions would be great. H2OGirl

LakePirate
06-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Go to Lookout Mtn...You can see 7 states.
See Rock City.

Knoxville is a great city and not too far from Vonore and has the most resturants per capita than anywhere else in the world.
I am sure some of the guys in East Tennessee will hook you up with a ride.

Oh yeah, don't forget Graceland

Nothing other than Knoxville is on your route, but it is fun none the less

stevo137
06-28-2005, 12:21 PM
H2O, We really enjoyed Diamond Caverns when we took a trip to Tenn. to buy the boat last summer. It was near the exit and took about an hour. It was quick and had some very nice formations.

Leroy
06-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I enjoy the Smokies, was just there last week trout fishing. Cades cove, Gatlinburg(really tourist trap), Townsend (rent tubes and drift down the Little River), Fontana Village is nice. If you like hiking, trout fishing, etc. There are cabins on top of the mountain, Mount Le Counte, where you hike 7-12 miles in and spend the night, very nice, but normally full for the summer.
Biltmore house and gardens is short drive in North Carolina, definitely worth the trip, Cherokee NC is pretty neat where the Indians are. Lost Sea is neat, cave with blind fish and you take boat trip through. Ocoee river has class IV and V white water rafting, Fall Creek Falls state park is good for hiking, plus so many nice lakes it will make you wish you had your boat there.

Growing up there I miss it now! Let me know if you have any other questions. You can google any keyword above and get standard info on it.

rem_p
06-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Go to Lookout Mtn...You can see 7 states.
See Rock City.

dont forget about ruby falls...its right there in the Lookout Mtn/Chattanooga area....There is a really big aquarium in Chatt. too, right on the Tennessee River....Stay away from knoxville.....or you'll have rocky top stuck in your head from now on. :D

boatwake
06-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Without a doubt spend a morning or afternoon in Chattanooga walking through the Tennessee Aquarium (http://www.tennis.org/) then catch an IMAX 3D movie (http://www.tnaqua.org/IMAX/Imax.asp) and wrap up your visit having ribs at Sticky Fingers. They are all within a bock or two each other.

BrianM
06-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Go whitewater rafting on the Okohee (sp?) River. Site of the Atlanta Olympic whitewater events. Very fun. Don't know how far it is from the plant though.

H2OGirl
06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Thank you guys, keep them coming. We would also be traveling through Ohio and Indiana and IL too. We are not opposed to some driving, but we do only have one week. I only get a week at a time sort of a bummer.

Is the rafting something that you can do with a guide of some sort? That sounds like a lot of fun but would have no clue what to do, never done it before. I do want to come home alive.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-28-2005, 02:17 PM
take a tour of amish country (http://www.amishcountry.org/backroads.tours/details.php?heritage_id=1) in Northern Indiana.

LakePirate
06-28-2005, 02:20 PM
or you'll have rocky top stuck in your head from now on. :D

I resemble that remark

BrianM
06-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Is the rafting something that you can do with a guide of some sort? That sounds like a lot of fun but would have no clue what to do, never done it before. I do want to come home alive.

Yep, when I went last year we used these guys http://www.ocoeerafting.com/

Looks like about a 2 hr 45 minute ride from Vonore. Well worth the drive.

H2OGirl
06-28-2005, 11:23 PM
take a tour of amish country (http://www.amishcountry.org/backroads.tours/details.php?heritage_id=1) in Northern Indiana.
I wonder if amish country in IN is different than my in-laws neighbors? Lance is from amish country, in fact I visit many of their farms for various reasons.

rem_p
06-29-2005, 12:23 AM
I resemble that remark

let me guess...bulldog fan :rolleyes:

Cloaked
06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Yep, when I went last year we used these guys http://www.ocoeerafting.com/

Looks like about a 2 hr 45 minute ride from Vonore. Well worth the drive.The Ocoee rafting is about 20 miles east of Cleveland TN. It is a controlled waterflow river from a basin above several pools of water. It's fun as long as there's not a dry spell in tact. So far so good. I live about 80 miles from there. It's a fun time. Takes about 4 - 4.5 hours for the entire trip including the orientation, bus ride up to the launch area, floating the river, and the bus ride back to the outfitter. Take a change of dry clothes. Some outfitters have showers, some don't. It's a long ride home in wet skivies... LOL...

Request a 10:00 AM start time. Otherwise you're at the mercy of other (later) timed runs that can run late with their scheduling. Stinks to be ready to get back and be running late.

H2OGirl
06-29-2005, 08:52 AM
The rafting sounds awesome, thank you we are looking into it. The link is great. I appreciate the help. The cave sounds nice too, haven't been in one of those since I was a Girl Scout. Keep the ideas coming. Anyone know of any festivals or events or concerts, etc. that we should check out? We would be in the area around the last week of July.

stevo137
06-29-2005, 10:22 AM
The cave was a good leg stretcher during a long drive and it's right off of I65 in KY. It was short and sweet. ;)

sizzler
06-29-2005, 10:31 AM
if you make a slight detour,i'll take you to the Tower of London,houses of parliament,st pauls cathedral etc etc......nice and cultural and then we could go out clubbing.......leave lance at home ;)

Leroy
06-29-2005, 11:16 AM
I'll second Mammoth Cave, also the corvette museum is right off 65 near there also (haven't been there but bet Mag would tell you about it).

stevo137
06-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I'll second Mammoth Cave, also the corvette museum is right off 65 near there also (haven't been there but bet Mag would tell you about it).
Leroy, Mammoth is nice but takes quite a few hours to see.
We liked Diamond because it was short and sweet and the formations were outstanding.
We just didn't have enough time for Mammoth.
If I had more time I would have checked out the Beam factory! ;)

H2OGirl
06-30-2005, 08:33 AM
if you make a slight detour,i'll take you to the Tower of London,houses of parliament,st pauls cathedral etc etc......nice and cultural and then we could go out clubbing.......leave lance at home ;)
Sizzler, maybe next year, my little brother will be stationed at the Air Force base in Germany and we are planning on making a trip over to visit. Maybe take a detour then 8p

H2OGirl
06-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Mammoth Cave and the Corvette museum are in what state? I've heard a lot about Mammoth Cave. I have to ask what it the "Beam" factory? Thank you for the link to the rafting, it sounds like a blast I think we are going to check that out while down that way.

Any good suggestions for night life? The things we are looking at doing are only going to take up part of an afternoon so our evenings will be free.

Where are all you Tenn people, so many of you talked about the reunion I know your out there!!

bcampbe7
06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Mammoth Cave and the Corvette museum are in what state? I've heard a lot about Mammoth Cave. I have to ask what it the "Beam" factory? Thank you for the link to the rafting, it sounds like a blast I think we are going to check that out while down that way.

Any good suggestions for night life? The things we are looking at doing are only going to take up part of an afternoon so our evenings will be free.

Where are all you Tenn people, so many of you talked about the reunion I know your out there!!

Corvette Museum (http://www.corvettemuseum.com/)
Mammoth Cave (http://www.nps.gov/maca/)

I am one of the Tennessee people...

2nd Avenue is the place to be for the Nashville nightlife scene. Nashville is a pretty cool city, even if you don't like Country music. The Gaylord Opryland Hotel is amazing to just walk through. If you come through Middle Tennessee, let me know. My wife and I will drag you guys around the lake! You missed Bonnaroo (www.bonnaroo.com) by a bit...

If you are in Knoxville, the area on Cumberland Avenue around campus is where all the bars are. You could also head over to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg but they are very commercialized and traffic is horrible. You could always head up to the mountains and do some hiking.

JEREMY79
06-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Ok I guess it is time for me to pipe up here. I live in KY right on your route. Mammoth Cave is 20 min from my drive way and the Corvette museum is about 35 min. Living right here you dont really think anyone wants to see the stuff you look at everyday.

Leroy
06-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Leroy, Mammoth is nice but takes quite a few hours to see. We liked Diamond because it was short and sweet and the formations were outstanding. We just didn't have enough time for Mammoth.
If I had more time I would have checked out the Beam factory! ;)

Stevo; I'll have to try Diamond next time. We did Mammoth and really enjoyed it.
For H20GIRL, Jim Beam is one of our friends who makes a great Kentucky burbon, I'm partial to my friend Jack Daniels in Lynchberg TN, where they have a great tour, but being a dry county you only get cotton balls to smell! http://www.jackdaniels.com/ between Nashville and Chattanooga http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Lynchburg,+TN

JEREMY79
06-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Kentucky has the whole bourbon trail.
Jim Beam
Wild Turkey
Old Grandad
Evan Williams
many, many more.

bcampbe7
06-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Stevo; I'll have to try Diamond next time. We did Mammoth and really enjoyed it.
For H20GIRL, Jim Beam is one of our friends who makes a great Kentucky burbon, I'm partial to my friend Jack Daniels in Lynchberg TN, where they have a great tour, but being a dry county you only get cotton balls to smell! http://www.jackdaniels.com/ between Nashville and Chattanooga http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Lynchburg,+TN

My house is about 15 miles from Jacks!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Lance and I are thinking of driving to Tenn to see our new boat in production. Turns out I am on vacation that week, guess it was meant to be. Other than the obvious, go tour the factory and check up on our new boat, what else does Tenn have to offer worth looking checking out or anything along the way from Wisconsin to Tennessee? We are looking for some suggestions of things to do on Vacation. We thought about checking out a ski/board school while out there. Hooking up with some TMC member for an afternoon. We've never been east so not sure what is out there? Any suggestions would be great. H2OGirl
We just did that route about 2 months ago, and we hit 3 extremely bad traffic areas, mainly due to construction. We had brought along a gps and found alternate routes (literally side streets), saved us about an extra 4 hours of drive time. But we came from Miami Beach to Chicago, we had an appointment to take a tour, but because of the traffic and other reasons we had to cancel.
There is the grand ole' opry, there are alot of signs on the road telling what there is to do. Including the mentioned ruby falls and look out mountain, believe me you won't be able to miss all the signs for those stops.
There are supposed to be some awesome ski/wakeboard schools in tenn also. We plan to stop and check those out next season.

School Skier
07-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Dayton Ohio has the Air Force Museum and it's free of charge

H2OGirl
07-01-2005, 09:15 AM
We found one school in Tenn. LaFollette I think is the city and it's called G*rides school, anyone heard anything about them? We are thinking of checking that out too. It wasn't too bad priced for a day of instruction.

The "beam" factory, I should've known better considering the area. Then only thing that kept popping in my head was BMW and I knew that couldn't be right.

Keep the ideas coming, this is great, there is tons more to do than we came up with on our own.

Thank you all, BTW, we just might take some of you up on your offers to pull us around some of the water out in Tenn, Kentucky area. Don't know if I can go a week without the water.

LakePirate
07-01-2005, 09:40 AM
The BMW Factory is in South Carolina

If you go to the Maker's Mark distillery you can become an ambassador and get you name put on a barrel and they will send you a bottle from your barrel with a special label.

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Well my lake sucks. But I will be more than happy to give you a pull. There is really nothing to do in Glasgow, however then caves and all that are very close

H2OGirl
07-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I was just checking out Mammoth Cave and the Vette plant/museum. Lance works for GM so he might enjoy seeing the vetts get built, although I have a feeling he is going to say unless I get to test beat one, why bother?

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Couldnt tell you wether you get to drive one or not. I have never been. I worked right behind it for awhile and never went there. I also have never been to the cave.

H2OGirl
07-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I'd be really surprised if they let you get close enough to one to even touch them. Lance has this need for speed, I think it is an addiction. He has his camaro to beat on and he beats the corvettes at work enough. The cave actually looks pretty cool, Mammoth I'm talking. I can't find much on the Diamond Caverns, do you know where about that one is located?

stevo137
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
My house is about 15 miles from Jacks!
Not very fay from George Dickel either!
Not to mention Tims Ford (beautiful lake) and a great Bear Trace golf course right on the lake!
We stayed there one night at a resort on the lake and checked out the golf course but didn't have time to play.

H2OGirl
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
That would be like going to the MC factory and expecting to test drive one of the boats, but I'd like to drive one of the X-80's just to see how they really handle!! You should really go down to the factory and check it out, it is so worth it.

H2OGirl
07-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Not to mention Tims Ford (beautiful lake) and a great Bear Trace golf course right on the lake!
We stayed there one night at a resort on the lake and checked out the golf course but didn't have time to play.
We live on a golf course and neither one of us knows how to play!! NO time for golf, its work of water for us.

H2OGirl
07-01-2005, 10:32 AM
I checked out the Jack tours, but I don't think we are heading over towards Nashville, I'm thinking we'll stay around the Knoxville area or the more eastern part of the state anyway.

stevo137
07-01-2005, 10:35 AM
I'd be really surprised if they let you get close enough to one to even touch them. Lance has this need for speed, I think it is an addiction. He has his camaro to beat on and he beats the corvettes at work enough. The cave actually looks pretty cool, Mammoth I'm talking. I can't find much on the Diamond Caverns, do you know where about that one is located?
Mammoth is the well known cave. I just mentioned Diamond because is was short and sweet and we didn't have time to spend at Mammoth.
I'll see if I can find lit on it but I know that there were signs indicating which exit it was on. I could be wrong but I think that you need about a half day to a full day to visit Mammoth depending on which tour you take. Just stop at the visitor center when you get to KY and they have loads of brochures on all the the attractions.

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Diamond Caverns is in Park City. You might also want to check out Kentucky Down Under. It is a Austrailian theme park with live animals. Its like a zoo with all austailian animals. KDU is in Horse Cave

H2OGirl
07-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Am I understanding what I am finding correctly? Are Ruby Falls, Lookout Mountain and Rock City sort of all the same attraction? I get that they are right outside of Chattnooga.

stevo137
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
We live on a golf course and neither one of us knows how to play!! NO time for golf, its work of water for us.
You know, I struggle with it every season. Just when I get my golf game going the ski season starts. I notice that my recovery time is not what it used to be and the soreness from skiing really interferes with my golf game.

Leroy
07-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I also highly recommend the TN aquarium. Went there maybe 5 years ago and just saw they doubled the size. http://www.tnaqua.org

stevo137
07-01-2005, 12:11 PM
I highly recommend that we all go to Leroys! ;)

bcampbe7
07-01-2005, 12:27 PM

If you come back to this area, make some time and we will play the course. It is a pretty awesome course. When they first opened they didn't cut the rough. It was impossible for a hacker like myself. They now cut it to a respectable height, but it is still a tough course.

stevo137
07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
If you come back to this area, make some time and we will play the course. It is a pretty awesome course. When they first opened they didn't cut the rough. It was impossible for a hacker like myself. They now cut it to a respectable height, but it is still a tough course.
The people were very friendly. I was with my family and they told us to take the carts and check the course out. We even saw wild turkeys out there. The greens fees were also very reasonable.
How's David and family? You two been skiing much?
(sorry about the threadjack H2O)

Leroy
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Here here! Great idea! I'm right off I-65 have pool in the back yard and boat 25 minutes away! Still lookiing for a time to use the kegerator in my bar!

I highly recommend that we all go to Leroys! ;)

bcampbe7
07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
The people were very friendly. I was with my family and they told us to take the carts and check the course out. We even saw wild turkeys out there. The greens fees were also very reasonable.
How's David and family? You two been skiing much?
(sorry about the threadjack H2O)

Sent you a PM Steve.

semullins
07-01-2005, 02:29 PM
You will be close to Knoxville. There are alot of things to do there. One of the first is goto Callhoun's On the river and get the ribs. They are about the best in the country!!!!!!!!!! Plus the city has built a beautiful walk along the Tennessee River that i think you would enjoy. You can also drive up to Gatlinburg where there is a lot of shopping, amusement park(Dollywood) and Cades Cove. Cades Cove is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

H2OGirl
07-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Here here! Great idea! I'm right off I-65 have pool in the back yard and boat 25 minutes away! Still lookiing for a time to use the kegerator in my bar!
I for some reason thought you were from the country north of us. You live in Kentucky? We're coming right down I 65 I'm pretty sure. A pool in the back yard and a kegerator, we'll stop in :D A cold beer and a swim after 12 hours in a truck sounds great!! I see that you are from IN, OOPS

H2OGirl
07-05-2005, 02:31 PM
I want to thank everyone for their help, but it seems as our Tenn Vacation is going to be on hold, stuff came up. We are not going to be going anywhere :( I was looking forward to some time away too. Maybe anther time. Carissa

mbeach
07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
can't go to tn without doing nashville, namely the opry and hermitage (andrew jackson's estate). saw martina mcbride at opry -- what a babe, and she has a great voice also!

Granite_33
07-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Kentucky has the whole bourbon trail.
Jim Beam
Wild Turkey
Old Grandad
Evan Williams
many, many more.
Not to mention the many "private" distillerys behind various barns and buildings.... :D

Leroy
07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
I live in Carmel, just north of Indianapolis. I grew up in TN. So maybe only 6-8 hour before a cold one and a cool down! Let me know when you are passing through.