PDA

View Full Version : 1985 stars/stripes ps190 over heating

pardigo
06-06-2010, 11:16 PM
:confused:first day on water this year ran fine at first then it had no hp started to smoke was running hot opened compartment cooling hoses nothing running through them sut down boat got towed in anyone suggest where to start ford pcm 351 v/drive help/help/help

ski_king
06-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Sounds to me like a typical water pump impellar failure. Hopefully it didnt get too hot.
Tear the water pump apart and inspect and replace the impelar. Check the tranmission cooler and intake lines for obstructions.

If you had the water pump off, it may have been put back on backwards, it is possible.

oxberger
06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
I'd check the thermostat on it too. More than likely the impellar though.

pardigo
06-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Sounds to me like a typical water pump impellar failure. Hopefully it didnt get too hot.
Tear the water pump apart and inspect and replace the impelar. Check the tranmission cooler and intake lines for obstructions.

If you had the water pump off, it may have been put back on backwards, it is possible.

thank you so much i changed the impellar today boat fired right up . ran fine on my side yard . have to do a birthday party 4 my son tomorrow so won't get it on the lake till sunday.
thanks again so much

pat bear mtn

TMCNo1
06-12-2010, 06:14 AM
thank you so much i changed the impellar today boat fired right up . ran fine on my side yard . have to do a birthday party 4 my son tomorrow so won't get it on the lake till sunday.
thanks again so much

pat bear mtn

If it's a PCM engine with a Sherwood raw water pump, you may have got the pump reversed when installing the impeller and the pump may be running in reverse, trying to give the lake water, rather than taking water from it, causing it to overheat from lack of water.

drumboy1979
06-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Great info!

I'm new to the forum and have an 85' Stars n' Stripes Masty. I went through the wholeimpeller goin bad last summer.

This year I am having overheating problems again only the fix isn't as easy. So far I have checked the impeller, replaced a kinked flow tube on the water pump, clean out the lifters/manifolds (ugh they were bad!). I also put in new coolant.

Is there a certain sequence for putting in new coolant? Do I partially fill it, turn the engine and repeat till its full? Or just dump it in!?

Also when I replaced the kinked hose on the water pump it was SO kinked that it was completely cutting off any circulation....could that have cause additional problems inside the water pump? Any tips on what to exactly look for once I open the water pump up? Detailed help would be awesome!

The boat when warmed up idles @ 175 degrees and when I rev it, it just climbs...water starts to boil in the exhaust and steam comes out the back. When I return to idle it goes down to 175. I have a gut feelingits just not getting enough water.

Thanks in advance for any advice.