PDA

View Full Version : Saturday fun with a transmission

91prostar
06-05-2010, 04:20 PM
So I got up this morning ready to tear into the tranny that has been dirtying my bilge, Im glad I did it myself, learned a few things about the boat along the way.

It took a few hours because I was working alone but needed to be done as you can see from the amount of fluid in the bell housing...

Gonna take it out in the morning and give it a spin...fingers crossed it pulls and doesnt leak:D

JMann
06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
How did you lift the trany out?

I hope it went well today.

Bellinghamster
06-05-2010, 05:54 PM
well, on the plus side - at least your flywheel and damper plate are rust-protected!

91prostar
06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
True that no rust in there, my son helped me lift it out of the boat but I put it back in on my own, I wont be able to move in the morning

rholmes
06-06-2010, 12:04 AM
As long as you can dead lift 100lbs, you can handle the tranny :). Two people are really, especially when it comes time to go back in.

Nice job, always satisfying to save yourself a few hundred dollars.

91prostar
06-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Back in the water this morning, small leak from one of the tranny lines and on the back of one of the mufflers, those are not a biggie, pulled well out of the hole, one thing that is strange is that it takes longer for it to engage than it did before, put in gear and count to three then it goes forward, any suggestions?

nitro5238
06-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Make sure you have the correct amount of fluid..........also check that your cable is connected properly and that you have the right amount of tension. Glad to see that everything worked out well for you.

91prostar
06-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok cable is connected back where it was before I took the tranny out, fluid level is good, when I go to put in gear it takes a while to "catch". If I give it just a little juice it will catch. Maybe a cable adjustment I dunno, could it have been damaged when the front seal blew out? Any ideas would be great..good news is that it does not leak a drop :)

Bellinghamster
06-12-2010, 11:45 PM
It's really important that the shift cable be adjusted so that the tranny shift lever is fully in the detents in each fwd, reverse and neutral (I THINK I remember there being a detent for neutral...). If it's not adjusted right and doesn't quite reach the detent position it can cause the clutches to slip and burn/wear out. The clutches are hydraulically actuated, and the shift lever is just a hydraulic valve.

91prostar
06-13-2010, 07:26 AM
well I guess that has to be an issue here, I will play with it today and see what happens, thanks all for the input..

91prostar
06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Kudos Nitro5238 and Bellinghamster, adjusted to trans cable yesterday and it worked like a charm. Trans engages quick and smoooooooth :)

nitro5238
06-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Great to hear the good news.......I am glad that it all worked out for you and think how much money you saved in the process. Not to mention the quality time you get to spend learning how things work. Let me know if you ever get down Allatoona way.