PDA

View Full Version : oil light above posted rpms

advocateprinting
06-05-2010, 01:38 PM
1995 225VRS 300 hours garage kept, well taken care of...normal use (was mostly unweighted wakeboarding and for the past 3 years just pleasure boating) Just this year, the V-drive light will not go off. I have plenty of fluids in the transmission (as I can tell) and want to see if I have a bad sensor, or a leak.

I do have a small puddle of some fluid (I am pretty sure that it is motor oil from the bilge, which i am also not sure of). I have run the boat this year, but am scared to take it out without knowing what the problem is. I do not want to damage my boat further, but need to get out on the water!

Further more, my truck is not wired for hauling a trailer (as we live by the river) so pulling to the dealer will be an expensive feat (as the wiring is $900). Any help is appreciated. I have tried searching with no direct hit on my problem.

Waiting by with wrenches...
MS

advocateprinting
06-06-2010, 10:06 AM
OK..well I fixed this problem. I hate to say this, but i have owned my boat for 6 years now and have never known that i had to put gear oil in the transmission. It was low and that was what was causing the light to stay on. Easy fix, but i am now concerned that I have a leak in one of the seals...time will tell as I am watching it now.

Took the boat out and it ran perfect, that is, until we were heading home. Got within a mile of the marina, and it just died. I am thinking that it is a fuel issue, or maybe a starter issue....It would crank, but not catch. I am going to try new fuel filters and see what happens.

MS

ahhudgins
06-07-2010, 06:39 PM
If the engine was running fine and cut off on it's own, and now it turns over with the starter but doesn't fire up, it's about a 100% chance that the problem is NOT your starter. You need to check for spark at the plugs and fuel pressure when the engine is cranking. My 95 has Throttle Body Injection and no way to check the fuel pressure. I'm in the process of having an engine builder make up a fuel line with a fuel gauge.
I fought an intermittent problem with my 95 for several months, mine ran fine once it started (never died on me) but every now and then the motor would crank but it wouldn’t start. My problem turned out to be a bad ignition switch. I had to order the schematics for my system in order to find the problem. When I was cranking my engine and it wouldn’t fire up, I had no spark at the plugs and no voltage to my fuel pump.

TMCNo1
06-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Further more, my truck is not wired for hauling a trailer (as we live by the river) so pulling to the dealer will be an expensive feat (as the wiring is $900). Any help is appreciated. I have tried searching with no direct hit on my problem. MS

There is no reason you can't get it wired at a Reese Hitch dealer, U-Haul store or RV/camper/trailer sales /service center for probably $50 or less, but $900, you got to be kidding. All anyone has to do is wire into the taillight turn, stop, run and reverse lights with a tow vehicle wiring harness available at most any Walmart or local autoparts or one of the above mentioned locations. The tow vehicle wiring doesn't cost that much as shown here, http://www.championtrailers.com/TRAILER_WIRING.htm, WESBAR® 5 POLE FLAT PLUG WIRE HARNESS

ShamrockIV
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
what are u driving??
where are u located??
wiring it is not that hard