PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Rattles in gear

goodelsha
06-05-2010, 02:24 AM
I picked up a 2000 Prostar 205v last year, and I noticed a rattle when I put in forward or reverse, so when I checked the oil level, I found water in the transmission fluid. I pressure tested the tranny cooler, and it was fine, so I changed the fluid out with ATF. Still rattling. After reading, it seems like a common issue for these V-drives and the fix is to change out with 15w40. Did that last week, but the problem seems to be getting worse.....still have the rattle, and the boat will almost stall once I put it in gear (have to give it a little more throttle to keep from dying). I do not notice any problems once I pick up the speed.

Can water still be in the transmission and causing this? Should I change the oil again? I was also having problems w/ the boat not idling when cold. I replaced the AIC and it idles fine now (in neutral)...not sure if this is related to the stalling.

Motor is the LTR 330hp.

JerryW
06-05-2010, 08:57 AM
A rattle at idle or low speed, that goes away when you pick up speed or put the engine / transmission under load could also be a bad damper plate between the trans and engine. It's similar to a clutch plate in a manual transmission in a car. When it wears, the springs in the center get loose and rattle. There are a lot of posts on this forrum on the subject.

goodelsha
06-06-2010, 11:33 AM
JerryW,

Thanks for the info.....unfortunately after reading up on the damper plate, this does sound like a possibility of what is happening with my transmission.