PDA

View Full Version : New to the board and a wake surf question

SchwabNC
06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi All.

I've gotten a lot of great information from this site. I bought a 2000 Maristar VRS 230 last fall with an '09 trailer. Since then I've added a new sound system, bimini, board racks, and an extra battery.

We love the boat for the power and space (previously had an older I/O). I still have some issues to deal with. I replaced the packing with the virtual dripless graphite cord, but it still drips a little (but less than the 10 year old rope that was in there). Also need to replace or rebuild the water pump. It started leaking pretty bad this weekend. The transmission is a little noisy but I gather that is normal.

OK, on to my wake surf question. A buddy of mine gave me his two old Fly High sacs and a pump. I think he said they are 400lbs each. I estimate I didn't fill them completely so I have 500-700lbs in the engine bay (driver side). No additional ballast other than boat driver and three small kids. I can surf behind the boat with just a slight tug on the rope occasionally (maybe 10-15Lb pull) but I cannot let go. I learned on a friends Malibu last fall and his wave was awesome. Any thoughts? Add ballast to ski locker or bow? Get some hefty friends?

Let me know.

Dan

bturner2
06-03-2010, 09:14 AM
I had a 95 200VRS that only needed one sac on the surf side to make a great wake but believe it was a 600lb sac. We use the same set up with a friends 96 225VRS but usually have two or three larger guys in the boat when we're out surfing. Your wake looks washed out. A lot of these boats like weight forward. At a minimum I would try getting a sac for the ski locker and maybe one for the bow. I'm assuming that everyone is sitting on the rear seat behind the driver to help weight the surf side.

Your position on the board looks like your weight is too far back which will add drag. Try bending your front knee more to get a more neutral stance on the board. A larger board will also help with a smaller wake. We have a Inland Surfer Red Tide we use for new and larger beginners that can run with just about any wake size.

aremsing
06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
You need to add some ballast to the center and the bow if possible. You can do it with a tube sack right up in between the driver and the bow, or you can do both. It will lengthen out the wake for you. Also you could put both rear fat sacs in the same locker. I load mine up with 750#. Just some options for you, a lot of it is playing around until you find the right weight and speed.

coz
06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new ride. If you're going to rebuild your pump here's a couple links to help out and keep these guys in your favs, you'll need them.

Rear seal for the pump http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5004

Impeller http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

And if you want to buy the whole pump http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1094

JohnE
06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
You can also go to a local MC dealer for these parts. It's nice to support those actually sell these things. If your local dealer doesn't have them, these guys do:

http://charlotteskiboats.com/

I don't know how pushing companies other than MC dealers for replacement parts is in line with the forum rules. Especially given the interpretation of the rules lately.

joecarew3
06-03-2010, 02:17 PM
JohnE

Completely agree! These people make it possible for MC to be the best around, we should support them. A few extra dollars to keep them around doesn't sound like to much to ask to me.

scott023
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
You can also go to a local MC dealer for these parts. It's nice to support those actually sell these things. If your local dealer doesn't have them, these guys do:

http://charlotteskiboats.com/

I don't know how pushing companies other than MC dealers for replacement parts is in line with the forum rules. Especially given the interpretation of the rules lately.

JohnE

Completely agree! These people make it possible for MC to be the best around, we should support them. A few extra dollars to keep them around doesn't sound like to much to ask to me.

I've often wondered why some are allowed to promote businesses on here that I would consider competitors to the MC dealers. I agree with both of these gentlemen.

JohnE
06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
JohnE

You're right. People want to save a few dollars on some nickel and dime parts and then gripe that the price of new boats is too high/ their dealer closed down/ dealer didn't stock the part/ I could go on and on. Personally I'll never buy anything that a dealer sells elsewhere. And these are the first people to run on here and b!tch when their dealer doesn't call them back in 3 minutes or drop everything to fix their boat when something goes wrong. I've had my share of dealer problems at one time. But that was specific to one case and one time. There are plenty of great dealers including the one closest to me. But I also have met one from NJ, NC, FL and probably a few more. Often the dealers like those I've mentioned sell parts as cheap as the company mentioned in this thread. Possibly some local dealers have too high a margin. But those I've mentioned are glad to sell parts anywhere anytime.

scott023
06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
You're right. People want to save a few dollars on some nickel and dime parts and then gripe that the price of new boats is too high/ their dealer closed down/ dealer didn't stock the part/ I could go on and on. Personally I'll never buy anything that a dealer sells elsewhere. And these are the first people to run on here and b!tch when their dealer doesn't call them back in 3 minutes or drop everything to fix their boat when something goes wrong. I've had my share of dealer problems at one time. But that was specific to one case and one time. There are plenty of great dealers including the one closest to me. But I also have met one from NJ, NC, FL and probably a few more. Often the dealers like those I've mentioned sell parts as cheap as the company mentioned in this thread. Possibly some local dealers have too high a margin. But those I've mentioned are glad to sell parts anywhere anytime.

I've got to add Eric at Chicago MasterCraft to this list...

joecarew3
06-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I could't have said it any better myself!

SkiDog
06-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I've got to add Eric at Chicago MasterCraft to this list...

Is he done shoveling snow yet?:D:D

scott023
06-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Is he done shoveling snow yet?:D:D

I'm pretty sure he is.

ShamrockIV
06-03-2010, 05:43 PM
congrats on the boat!!
as the proud new owner of an x30 i will let u know how to weigh urs when i get home!!
i have the factory triple ballast in mine but i am prob gonna add a little extra.

SchwabNC
06-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought most likely that I would have to add weight to the front as well. I guess I'll get one for the ski locker. I could always put it up between the bow seats if I need the weight further forward.

Its funny...last weekend I was filling the ballast while the rear engine pad was lifted up. Two people stopped to see if I had mechanical problems. One person hopped on a jet ski from the shore. Rewind to last summer when I had an older I/O bow rider...my starter broke a tooth on the flywheel and I was sitting dead in the water. I had to wave, whistle and hold a paddle in the air to get someone to stop. One woman actually waved at me when they went buy when we were trying to summon help >:-\ I always stop if someone looks a little bewildered on the lake. The first day out this year I pulled a guy three miles to a gas station.

ShamrockIV
06-04-2010, 03:08 PM
hey schwab
a buddy of mine can hook u up. go to www.maxwake.com
welcome aboard