PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Prostar 209 MCX Stalling

beu1968
06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I have a 2005 Prostar 209 with an MCX motor. I just bought it 3 weeks ago. It was running fine then it started stalling occasionally. It would just die at various RPMS. It would then start right back up. The last time it took 10 minutes before it would start. I checked the battery cables and tightened them down because one ground wire was loose. This did not fix the problem. I have ordered a new tether switch and cord and a new fuel filter. The dealer said it could very well be the tether. Can anyone help here? This is my first Mastercraft. I used to have a Nautique. Thanks

Jerseydave
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
First off, welcome! Do you think it's electrical or fuel related? Hate to say it, but could be your fuel pump starting to lose pressure. Never let your tank go less the 1/4. You may want to have the dealer take fuel pressure readings. How many hours on the engine?

Where are you in the northeast?

beu1968
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I think the problem is electrical because of the way it cuts out and then restarts and the fact that it happens at various rpms. I am going to pull the fuel pump out and change the filter just to see. I will post more after I change the tether and the filter. Thanks and I will be back this weekend after the parts get here.

beu1968
06-25-2010, 08:42 PM
sorry for the long delay here. I put a new fuel filter in the tank and put a new tether in the boat and it seemed to run fine for a few days. I then decided to run the boat down on gas so I could pull the tank out and clean it thoroughly. When I was running it down, I ran otu of gas with 2 inches of gas left in the tank. I took it out and flushed it then reinstalled it and filled it with fresh gas. I put it in the water and it fired right up. I pulled the kids tubing for around half am hour and then shut it off to swim. After a couple times doing this. The boat just would not start. After getting it back to the dock and letting it sit it would start right up. However, it would stall after a minute or so. Any ideas. I need help here.
Thanks,

ncsone
06-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me. These pumps don't last long when they are run with a low fuel level. Check the fuel pressure at the bleeder valve at the aft end of the fuel injection rail on the starboard side. If I recall, you should be seeing about 55psi there with the key on. If you are not seeing that kind of PSI, most likely it is the pump.

There are several good threads on here regarding fuel pump replacement for these boats. Do a search and you should be able to find what you need.

beu1968
06-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I had 58 PSI when I turn the key on. The next tie I try, I have no pressure. It is intermitent. It is possible that the pump can work then stop and start again later. I saw the thread about changing the fuel pump and will do that if necessary. I still think it is electrical because sometimes I do not get power to the pump. Is there a fuel pump relay and if so, can you tell me where it is.
Thanks fo the help

Thrall
06-26-2010, 12:26 PM
There is a relay for the fp. Not a likely cause though. Should be 3 relays by the ECM somewhere, never looked for them on my MCX. Do a relay swap to see if the fp relay is bad.
Otherwise, likely pump.

beu1968
06-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the response. I just tried it again and no pressure. Half an hour ago it shot right up to 58PSI. I will swap the relays and see what happens.

Ride.Rome
07-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I too am a new owner of a 2006 X-1 with the MCX engine. My boat has 170 hours on it and has been stalling but usually when in neutral or when I'm putting to tension the rope or pulling into the dock. I saw you started with the battery cables, should I start there?

jstreeter
07-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Try a new fuel pump or check the plastic line between fuel pump and pressure regulator may be bent block gas flow.