PDA

View Full Version : 96 ProStar 190 Clean Up

charrison327
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I posted about a year ago on started a restore. I got this boat from a family member that just wanted it out of his yard. This is my first MasterCraft and I've done a lot of cosmetic work. The interior was horrible and the motor block was cracked. It is the LT1 version and cost a bundle to be re-powered, but a lot less expensive that buying a new boat. These pictures were taken before I started working on it.

83SuperSlot
06-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Holy smokes, if someone offered me that project I would take it without a thought.... cracked block and all!! Great project!! Congrats!

charrison327
06-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I have wet sanded and polished the boat several times to get a nice shine. The boat was heavily oxidized. The interior has been redone including new carpet. I have pretty much finished but still have a few odd things I want to do. I am still deciding on decals. It looks nice and clean without them, so thinking about leaving them off and maybe just replacing the stern decal above the platform. I wish I had taken more before pictures, but didn't. It is a completely different boat. Took it out for the first time this past weekend. New motor runs strong and great.

charrison327
06-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I jumped all over it. I've put a lot of time in it and come out with a great looking boat. Also just noticed that my date on the camera is wrong too, lol

83SuperSlot
06-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Looks awesome! I would put the decals back but either way it looks great!

charrison327
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks. It's hard to find factory parts for the older models I've found out. I figured I would be able to order them, but not so easy. I'm going to go to a local place that I have been recommended to by several people and get them to cut me some new ones. I wish I had taken some good up close photo's of the decals before, but thought about it too late.

nascar
06-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Your boat looks Great ! You did good !, Now you get to enjoy it !!

MCVOLS
06-02-2010, 01:51 PM
do a search on here for people/dealers that may have the decals you need. At the least, you can find pictures of same year boats to use a a guide.

Great job, the boat looks great!

ttu
06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
really sad to see the before pics but you did a great job on bringing her back to life.

DooSPX
06-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks. It's hard to find factory parts for the older models I've found out. I figured I would be able to order them, but not so easy. I'm going to go to a local place that I have been recommended to by several people and get them to cut me some new ones. I wish I had taken some good up close photo's of the decals before, but thought about it too late.

Call Bay Area Water Sports
their number is in my Sig. Ask for Jim...
they can do decals for almost every year.

charrison327
06-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks DooSPX I'll def give him a call

oxberger
06-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Awesome job, beautiful boat, welcome to the board, now stop being a guest and join the rest of us addicts.:uglyhamme. Jim @ BAWS can help. I would go with the domed lettering instead of the original, makes it look unique. just my:twocents:

mayo93prostar
06-02-2010, 02:52 PM
looks nice, how about some pics of that engine...

DooSPX
06-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Your welcome, and I look forward to seeing more pictures....
I opted for the original slash MC side lettering when I screwed up my factory one with a buffer... (oops)
Tell him Jason from Team Talk sent you.

C36
06-02-2010, 03:23 PM

I might be able to help - if you still need help with this send me an e-mail message or PM via Team Talk. Great job on the boat!

TMCNo1
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
charrison327, concerning your guest status,

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon4.gif Guest Accounts
Some member may notice that their account read as "Guest", however you have the ability to post. These "guests" are in fact TeamTalk members. The cause of this issue is that members are registering for TeamTalk through the MasterCraft Home page and myMasterCraft link at the top of the page. Back a few months ago when MasterCraft migrated TeamTalk to the mastercraft.com domain, this issue arose. From now on, if you are a guest and wish to be fully enrolled in TeamTalk, please email Phil Walker (phil.walker@mastercraft.com) and he will have your account deleted. Once your account is deleted, please re-register here. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/register.php)

Good Luck

charrison327
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll post pictures of the motor, dash, etc.... soon. Haven't taken any yet. I just ordered some of the red Corvette letters to put on the covers. I'm very pleased with the way my project has turned out. I was planning on fixing and selling to upgrade, but I think I'm going to hang on to her for a while.

DooSPX
06-02-2010, 04:41 PM
why upgrade.... if you slalom or even foot, you have a great boat there...

charrison327
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
i wasn't sure if i was going to be happy with it at first, that's the only reason why i was thinking about it. and by happy, i mean looks. i'm pretty oc about stuff, but it turned out great. no disappointments at all. i love it

DooSPX
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
btw, I let Jim know that you will be calling him so he is expecting your call.

Footin
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Very nice........

oldairboater
06-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Good job. Looks impressive.

charrison327
06-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Got my account fixed and will be posting some more pics after the weekend. I have to work all weekend, but going to do some more work on the boat Monday and Tuesday next week. Also going to call Jim on Monday and get some decals ordered up.

Sledge
06-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Wow! I just don't understand how people can let their investment waste away like that. Nice job getting her back into shape, the boat looks great. Glad to see that you went with the teak swim platform vs the upholstered one that was on it! :D

charrison327
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
lol....thanks. Now I just wish I had taken a lot more "before" photos to show how bad the oxidation and decals were on the side, but then again I'm sure everyone can imagine by the looks of the inside.

nitro5238
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Awesome job.......now if only I could find a project like that. I just finished my boat and I am getting anxious thinking about getting a newer one. If I had a project to work on it would take my mind off of wanting that new one....what to do?...what to do?

charrison327
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I know exactly what you mean. At first, I was thinking fix and sell to get a newer one. Now, all I can think of is what I want to do next. My thoughts of getting a new (newer) one are long gone. I'm very happy with this boat and don't plan on getting anything else. If I do, it well be several years done the road. This boat will last me forever as long as I care for it the way it should be.

sic0048
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
lol....thanks. Now I just wish I had taken a lot more "before" photos to show how bad the oxidation and decals were on the side, but then again I'm sure everyone can imagine by the looks of the inside.

Any suggestions or tips for wet sanding? I'm considering doing it to my '93 PS 190. It is pretty oxidized on the corners and one side that faces the sun (while on the lift). The red appears more purplish in these areas.

T Scott
06-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Looks great! It is amazing what a little elbow grease and effort will do!