PDA

View Full Version : Sinking Portable Course

dsoby
06-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm just plain getting tired of setting up our insta-slalom course and am thinking of just leaving it in and taking off the balls when we are not using it. The water depth is between 8 and 20 ft. and not very clear. Does anyone have experience with this setup? How do you find the mainline and go about reinstalling the balls?

rodltg2
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
so leaving it up is not an option? against rules? vandalism?

east tx skier
06-27-2005, 10:27 PM
As far as finding a course, I'd suggest a reference line from the shore to the mainline. A long pole witha hook on it can be run along the mainline to find the rest of the anchor points.

dsoby
06-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Rod,
It would be on a small private lake but too many non-skiers and jetskiers. I probably wouldn't get property owner's association approval to leave it in full time anyway.
ETS,
That is my thought as well. But how do you go about raising the rest of the course? Do you just drag a hook along the mainline until you get to each set of PVC booms? That sounds cumbersome and time consuming. I'm hoping that someone has a better way of doing this. Accusink would be ideal for this application.

rodltg2
06-28-2005, 09:01 PM
if you can manage to get permission , what you can do is remove the turn balls only and float the line with a sub bouy. then you just clip on the turn balls when you use the course. this will elimanate other people from using the course and jet skiers wont have too much fun rounding boat guides.

bret
06-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Is Dr. Michels going to help you set it up; that way he could pull it to his measurements during the sinking! :)

dsoby
06-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't think that this would work with a floating course... not that I haven't thought of it myself. I have also considered a conventional course with subs and removable bouys but in order to keep the other
I/Os and pontoons from hitting the subs, I would need to have them at least 3-1/2 feet below the surface. My water clarity will not allow me to easily find the subs in a reasonable amount of time. I tried test subs marked by land marks and GPS but have a hard time finding them. I've even tried to locate the subs and anchors with a fish finder/sonar but this method is problematic. All of this brings me back to just sinking the portable course. I suspect that this has been done before. I'm just fishing for ideas on how to raise it without it being more trouble than just putting it out and taking it back in every time.

dsoby
06-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Very funny BRET.
BTW, I'm also in the Memphis area and have ski rights at Lake Pointe if you would like to hook up some time.

bret
06-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks dsoby but I pretty much stay in Heber all summer so if you head this way, send me a pm. We're pulling our course out after we ski on the 2nd, re-install on the evening of the 4th.

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Rod,
It would be on a small private lake but too many non-skiers and jetskiers. I probably wouldn't get property owner's association approval to leave it in full time anyway.
ETS,
That is my thought as well. But how do you go about raising the rest of the course? Do you just drag a hook along the mainline until you get to each set of PVC booms? That sounds cumbersome and time consuming. I'm hoping that someone has a better way of doing this. Accusink would be ideal for this application.

Accusink is clearly the ideal solution. We have individual anchors with no mainline. We have one reference line to get to the 3 ball boat guide. We find the rest of the boat guides with premeasured ropes lengths. Once we find one, i.e., the 2 ball boat guide, we can find the rest at the 2 ball by line of site and walking straight away from it. It takes two people (1 in the water, 1 in a john boat) just under an hour to install, and 15 minutes or less to pick up. With two in the water, setup time could be under 45 minutes. Not ideal, but it's ours.