PDA

View Full Version : Sizing up a board for girls

CruisinGA
06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
My two sisters, girlfriend and their friends have been riding my Hyperlite 139 with XL bindings, and it's about time they had a board that was a better fit.

The three of them weigh 120-135, and wear a size 6.5 to 8.5 womens shoe, so I don't think it's a stretch to find something that will suit all three of them reasonably well.

I found a new in wrapping CWB sapphire 134 locally for $120. I think this is a little on the larger size for them, but it is apparently a more advanced girls board (3 stage rocker) so it may work fine.
I don't really see the sense in buying a beginner board if all you're going to do is outgrow it when a more advanced board isn't any hard to ride.

What do ya'll think? 134 too big? I'm crazy and should find a beginner board?

MCVOLS
06-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Just got a board for my wife this weekend while at the Masters. She is about the same size you are talking, and we debated between the 130 and the 135 Hyperlite Eden. Both were available, and per the specs on the board, it said go 130. The rep said to go 135, due to softer landings, more surface when learning new tricks, etc. He said now that the newer boards were so much lighter, you can go to a larger board, and still be able to handle its weight for jumps and spins. So we went 135. I don't think he had any reason lead us wrong, thus I think the 134 you found would be fine.

CruisinGA
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the input.

Ended up buying the CWB Sapphire 134. It was new in wrapper as advertised. Got a pair of Ronix Luxe bindings for it, and the girls are finally happy.

It was amazing to see what a difference a properly sized board/binding combo did for their riding. They both instantly got a lot better. One of them is even getting a some air now!

Got myself a pair of new '09 Byerly Pro bindings while I was at it :D . BIG difference from the crappy Sprint bindings I had before.

MCVOLS
06-08-2010, 08:44 AM
good to hear they are happy. My wife got better quick too on her new board (compared to my very old one that is too big for her). Especially her toe-side. She said the board felt like it wanted to be on edge (like a slalom ski), where as she felt she was fighting my board to hold edge.

Post up some pics when you can!

swatguy
06-11-2010, 05:51 PM
The right board makes all the differencein the world. Go0d choice on sizing up. I am a firm believer in always going a little bigger.

That setup is going to give them a great time with room to grow.

GA I see you went with closed toes as well. Anyone who is still skeptical or serious about their riding will love the advantages of a closed toe binding.

CruisinGA
06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
The right board makes all the differencein the world. Go0d choice on sizing up. I am a firm believer in always going a little bigger.

That setup is going to give them a great time with room to grow.

GA I see you went with closed toes as well. Anyone who is still skeptical or serious about their riding will love the advantages of a closed toe binding.

You are right. One of my sisters ought to be clearing the wake soon, and she pretty much just "rode" in a straight line when she was riding my board.

Thanks for sending me the pictures of your bindings for sale. I was putting off buying new bindings, but my old ones failed catastrophically and I had to get some new ones on short notice.

You are certainly right about the closed toes. I didn't think they were for me until I tried them on.