PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Hose in Trans!

Footin
06-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Yes I am an idiot, now that we have that out of the way............

I was changing my transmission fluid with a small hand pump and the hose fell off and into the transmission. I have removed almost all the fluid and I cannot see the hose in there. Do I have to pull the trans to get it out? can I remove the tail section and get in there?
Any other tricks? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Almost forgot, 1994 TBI with velvet drive

Jerseydave
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Put some fluid back in and hopefully it will float around where you can see it and grab it with something. Snap-on, Mac and Matco make a flexible claw-type pickup tool that might work great for this once you find the hose. you may have to tow the boat around so the hose moves near the opening so you can grab it.

Footin
06-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Got it out, with the help of a coat hanger and a small pipe camera.

76S&S
06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
where did you get the pipe camera?

JimN
06-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Good to see that you got it out. The easy way to keep this from happening is by using a tube that's long enough to bottom out and stick up over the top.

ski_king
06-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Got it out, with the help of a coat hanger and a small pipe camera.
This one has me curious also.

Did you borrow a colonoscopy camera from Bigmac?

JohnE
06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
This one has me curious also.

Did you borrow a colonoscopy camera from Bigmac?

Ha...............:D

Footin
06-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I used an inspection camera made by Ridgid, I just happen to have a sample model in my office:

WAProstar
10-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Footin,
I did the exact same thing today as I was changing my tranny fluid during my winterizing procedure. It was a terrible feeling when I realized what had happened.

All,
I don't have access to a pipe camera. Are there any other suggestions for finding the lost hose? I have a "grabber" tool on order. It should be here later this week. Hopefully I will be able to fish around in there and find it, but if I cannot, is the next real option to pull the transmission?

Just to cover all my bases... I am pretty sure that it must be found and removed, but is it possible to just leave it in there? This seems like an invitation for a trashed transmission, but wanted to consider all possible solutions.

89 Prostar 190
351w
1:1 Velvet Drive

Appreciate the help/replies.

oldairboater
10-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Try a bright flashlight that will not fit in the hole and get a clothes hanger. Go fishing. I would get me along pair of skinny forceps to keep close. If you get the hose up where you can see it---the forceps might grip it to allow you to pull it back out. I would not leave the hose in there.

WAProstar
10-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Appreciate the response! I will give it a go. I think this is probably the only time that fishing is allowed on MY Mastercraft. Ha! Will try it later this week. Thanks!

Try a bright flashlight that will not fit in the hole and get a clothes hanger. Go fishing. I would get me along pair of skinny forceps to keep close. If you get the hose up where you can see it---the forceps might grip it to allow you to pull it back out. I would not leave the hose in there.

Barefooter92
10-14-2010, 08:45 AM
What type of oil pump do you all use? I see on ebay there is a 12v pump for $26. Is this worth having?

WAProstar
10-18-2010, 04:15 PM
I have both a quart bottle oil pump that I picked up from a car parts store and a drill pump that I got from Lowes. The quart bottle oil pump is the one with the hose that I dropped into the transmission. Fortunately, I was able to use the drill pump to help in pumping the remainder of the transmission fluid out. I'm not sure I would get a 12v pump. I think the manual quart bottle pump is all you need (provided you don't do what I did).

Quart Bottle Oil Pump: http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-18-9781-Quart-Bottle-Pump/dp/B002YOWGDO

Drill Pump: http://www.lowes.com/pd_138026-15649-PPDRP-1_0__?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1015177&UserSearch=drill+pump&Ntt=drill+pump&N=0&langId=-1&y=0&x=0&storeId=10151&ddkey=http:SearchCatalog