PDA

View Full Version : Gel Crack

mrprostar
06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a two inch crack in the gel on the bottom of my boat that is need of repair. I've done the repair before but always above the water line. It has a slight rust color around it and it made me wonder if I need to be concerned with water between the gel and fiber glass. Obviously I will repair as soon as I can, but can I keep using it until I have a chance to fix it or am I risking more damage?

Matt L.
06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
http://www.fiberglass-repair.com/

Used to be agood resource. I was going to order his DVDs.

Sorry, can't help with what might be a major repair. I've just done cosmetic stuff.

Good luck,

Matt

06197ttlq9-footer
06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
PICS!!!! Is there exposed fiber glass? Where on the boat is it?

Thrall
06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
At a minimum, I'd grind it out a bit, let it dry good and fill it with some 3M 5200 sealant. That will keep moisture from getting in.

mrprostar
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
The crack in the on the bottom of the boat directly under the windshield on one of the 90 degree angles, about an inch on either side of the seem running side to side.

No fiberglass exposed.

TMCNo1
06-01-2010, 04:36 PM
There may be some info here to get you over till the repairs can be made, http://www.diy-fiberglass-boat-repair.com/

06197ttlq9-footer
06-01-2010, 05:02 PM
I personally would use it and keep an eye on it(check it EVERYTIME you use the boat). Should be fine for a while.

Skipper
06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Easy repair. Grind down to the glass at the damaged area and create a small scalloped area with the edges at 20 to 30 degrees. Clean with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits and allow to dry. If the repair is no deeper than the first appearance of glass, then just mask off and fill with gelcote. Cover with a thick plastic and smooth out the surface. Once cured, lightly wet sand with 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 then buff and polish. If it goes into the glass, then first mix a little epoxy resin with tiny chops of glass and fill. Once cured then grind it down to the base of the gelcote.

mrprostar
06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Update: Here are the pictures as requested. It has been out of the water for over a week and it is STILL leaking water out of this crack. It has been extremely dry here and there is a good puddle under the boat that has yet to evaporate. I feel like simply repairing this will trap all of the water in between the gel and the fiberglass. Does this change anyone's answer to the original question of whether or not I can run it before repair?

mrprostar
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
P.S. Sorry for the blur. The first one is from the port side and the other is from directly underneith. The rust colored stuff is kind of a goo that is coming out with the water.

Jorski
06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
It has to be dry berfore you repair it.

I would grind out the area and open it up a bit to help the water drain. You want it nice and dry before putting any gel on.

erkoehler
06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Are there blisters on the Hull too?

I would not use it before repairs are completed.

mrprostar
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Are there blisters on the Hull too?

I would not use it before repairs are completed.

Could be...I'm not sure what a blister looks like. What causes them? Do you have a picture? The hull is in pretty rough shape. There are a lot of scratches and dings on the bottom. The whole thing needs to repaired.

mrprostar
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
I googled gel coat blisters to see what they look like and my hull doesn't show anything like that. Just scratches and very thin gel in areas and now this crack that has been leaking water for over a week.

TMCNo1
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Update: Here are the pictures as requested. It has been out of the water for over a week and it is STILL leaking water out of this crack. It has been extremely dry here and there is a good puddle under the boat that has yet to evaporate. I feel like simply repairing this will trap all of the water in between the gel and the fiberglass. Does this change anyone's answer to the original question of whether or not I can run it before repair?

Has that area of with the cracks and brown seepage been repaired previously?

Thrall
06-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Drill a hole in it, all the way thru, get the water out. You can epoxy up a small hole easily.

mrprostar
06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Has that area of with the cracks and brown seepage been repaired previously?

It may been repaired, but it wasn't by me. If it was repaired they matched it well.

Skipper
06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
There was a lot of force behind whatever damaged your boat. Grind all of the gelcote away until you are out of the cracks. That will expose the glass. If the glass is damaged (probably is) then you will be able to see it. Grind all the way until all of the damage is gone, even if it means all the way through to foam. If there is water in the foam, it is never coming out until the foam goes first. Repair the damaged area with ever increasing sizes of mat soaked in epoxy resin. Grind smooth at gelcote depth, then gelcote.

mrprostar
04-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I did as suggested above: I removed all of the damaged gel and could see a little pinhole in the fiber glass. I waited several weeks for it to dry out and stop dripping and then I used epoxy to seal the pinhole. Once that was dry I used three layers of gel coat over a couple weeks and built it back up to where it was flush with the surrounding gel. Today I went to do the final sanding on it as well as get the boat ready for spring and noticed that the new gel had split in the middle of the repair. It wasn't wet and didn't look like water caused the problem. I sanded the area down further and couldn't see the split anymore and then moved on planning to come back to see if it was going to drip more. After a couple of hours it had not dripped and we went ahead with the de-winterizing. We started the boat using the hose and let it come up to temperature. When we were done I went back to the repair and it was dripping. The water was not coming down the hull from the plug hole or from the exhaust because there wasnt any water anywhere else close to it. The bilge didn't have any water in except for maybe a few drips from disconnecting the hose. Where could this water be coming from? Someone mentioned that the foam could be soaked but why would it stop for two months only to start again without any contact with water? Again, the fiberglass had a hole that I could barely see, which made sense with the very slow leak dripping every couple of minutes, but I had plug that with epoxy. Where should I go from here?

Thrall
04-17-2011, 01:39 AM
The gel won't split, especially if not even stessed, sitting in the garage.
I'd still drill a small hole or 2 and try to get it to dry out. It obviously leaked in past the glass, so drilling a couple small holes won't do any more damage.

mrprostar
04-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the help thrall. I'm going to do as you suggested. How deep do I need to drill? I'm trying to picture the construction underneath so I can try to diagnose what actually happened. The layers from outside to inside are : gel, fiberglass, foam, and another layer of fiberglass? How thick is the foam?

Thrall
04-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't know how thick. Where is it at? The transom of my 96 at the swim deck mounts was well over an inch thick. Assuming it's below waterline. Check the thickness at the raw water intake?
Once you get thru the 1st glass, run the drill backwards until you feel the 2nd glass. Should drain once you're into the foam. If it's not on the bottom, raise one side of the boat to get it to drain lower than the repair area.

mrprostar
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I sanded down the area and revealed the tiny little crack barely visible in the fiber glass. I drilled three holes all the way through with a 3/32 bit and let it drain. I looked at the way the hull was shaped at that point and saw the bottom of the keel might have some water in it too. So I drilled another tiny little hole in the keel and let it drain over night. I woke up to almost two GALLONS of water in the bucket! I'm so glad I did that. I used epoxy to fill the drill holes and the crack. Once that was dry I sprayed over it with gel coat, sanded and sanded. The epoxy looks a little bubbly but its done and sealed. Thanks for the help.