PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Prostar 205V Overheating

NewbieMastecraft
06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
New to me 2000 Prostar 205V. We've only had it out 4 times. 125 Hours on the engine - the standard Inmar 310HP EFI. Several times the engine has overheated, going into the "limited RPM" mode, usually just idling out of the No Wake zone. Every time except yesterday it has cooled down to normal after a few minutes at 12-1500 RPM. Yesterday it did not cool down and we had to return to the dock.

I've seen the posts, and everyone I've asked says I probably need to change the impeller, but I have another question.

The first thing I did when we got back was to put the boat on the lift and check the cooling water intake under the boat. Behind the brass cage, there appears to be a piece of something that I can best describe as looking like a Scotchbrite scrub pad. It appears to be cut and positioned like its supposed to be there, but everyone I've asked (including Mastercraft) says "I don't think that's supposed to be there - unless someone installed it as some kind of filter". However no one says "Take it out of there".

Has anyone ever seen/heard of anything like this covering the coolilng water intake hole behind the brass cage? Is the hole supposed to be a completely unobstructed clear hole to the water intake hose? Should I just take it out and see if it cures my problem? Any help or comments are appreciated.

Also, if I do need a new impeller, does anyone know what part number I should look for? Thanks in advance.

LakePirate
06-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Call www.skidim.com and they will ship you the correct impeller.

Don't know about the "filter"

airwear
06-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Its easy to check the impellor for wear. You just need to unscrew the cover and you should be able to tell right away whether the impellor is in good shape or not. I believe the part is a Johnson 812. My Prostar 195 was overheating on the weekend. I removed the impellor cover and noticed right away that the impellor was not good, and replaced it in a few minutes and I was back out on the water.

east tx skier
06-27-2005, 05:53 PM
I haven't seen anything like the scotchbrite pad you describe. Sounds like it would restrict water flow a great deal. Perhaps if you could take a picture, you might get some better input on whether this is something the P.O. put on there to act as a filter as opposed to a necessary part.

Thrall
06-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Check w/ a dealer, but I'm 99% sure there should be nothing inline in the raw water line restricting flow. There is a screen in the oil cooler that stops large debris, but that's all.
Replace the impeller unless it's new this year and get rid of the Scotchbrite pad in the intake.