PDA

View Full Version : spray tan stain

CruisinGA
05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Had a lot of people in and out of the boat this past weekend, and someone had a spray tan or some lotion with some kind of artificial tan in it or something, because there are two sizable brown stains on the back and side of the observer's seat.

Noticed the stain yesterday, spent some time today trying to get it off before leaving the lake to no avail.

I tried what I had on hand-
Starbrite Vinyl shampoo
Starbrite mildew stain remover
dawn dish soap

All were use on a regular washcloth type rag.

Anyone have any suggestions for a product or method? The stain is on white vinyl, '02 X9.

michael freeman
05-31-2010, 11:05 PM
I had the same problem. I first cleaned with everything I could think of including fantastic, but I hear the new blend is not safe anymore. I could still see it after my cleaning but I left it out in the sun a few days and it finally went away.

CruisinGA
06-01-2010, 10:05 AM
That is good to hear. It seems that sun will fade out a lot of different stains. I don't like to let the boat sit out in the sun, maybe I'll clean all the vinyl, and use 303 everywhere but the stain, and then let it sit in the sun a couple days.

The vinyl on the boat isn't perfect, but in otherwise really good shape, and this stain is bugging me pretty bad.

russlars
06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Have you tried Magic Eraser? It is slightly abrasive, but will get a lot of the tough stains that the cleaners won't touch.

CruisinGA
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Have you tried Magic Eraser? It is slightly abrasive, but will get a lot of the tough stains that the cleaners won't touch.

Talkin about this-

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

I've never seen it or tried it. I'll pick one up this week and give it a shot this weekend.

russlars
06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Talkin about this-

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

I've never seen it or tried it. I'll pick one up this week and give it a shot this weekend.
You got it. Give it a go. It took some stains off my vinyl that the high priced sprays wouldn't phase. Just don't get overly aggressive with it since it is slightly abrasive.

Kummer
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I 2nd the magic erasers - combo that with babes seat soap and your stain should be gone.

jbkriss
06-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I've used the magic eraser before and it works well but I only use it for small areas. You may want to research it for spots the size I'm envisioning. Just trying to help...

CruisinGA
06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Each of these stains is a little less than the area of a standard washcloth, I guess around .5- .75 square feet.

TX.X-30 fan
06-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the spray tan but the magic eraser is a good choice.

Matt L.
06-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Spray tan could be tough since it is intended to bond or soak into skin.

Use Hydrogen Peroxide. Won't damage anything and removes lots of hard to get stains. wet it and cover with a H2O2 soaked rag to keep it wet. Mix 50:50 with Tilex daily shower spray and do the same for several days on really tough stains like mold. That is very gentle and works really well if you keep the rag wet with the mixture. I'll cover with plastic to keep evaporation at bay. The H2O2 is an oxidizer that will bleach out stains but not attack other materials like chlorine bleach does, and the Tilex daily shower spray has a kelating compound (EDTA) in it that will attack any metal complexes in the stain.

Ditto on the Magic Eraser. Then 303 once clean!

Good luck!

Matt

03 35th Anniversary
06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Can we get some pics of the girl the the spray tan rubbed off of???

Campbell
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
If all else fails check this link...http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34269

macattack
06-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Has any one sucessfully used Magic Eraser or any other product on sneaker scoff marks? It appears someone dragged their shoe across the vinyl while getting in/out of the boat. I tried Babe's Seat soap and a soft scrub brush; it removed some of the mark, but not all. I know, no shoes in the boat...my bust! mac

psychobilly
06-29-2010, 01:20 AM
First rule on getting into my boat, SHOES OFF on the dock. Sorry to see that man...