PDA

View Full Version : change ballast impeller on 2004 x9

shamco
05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I need to inspect the ballast impellers but cannot figure out how to remove the back panel to access them. Can somebody help - preferably with pictures. When trying to empty the tanks, the circuit breaker keeps tripping and finally after 8 or 10 times, it will finally stay on and empty. Any thoughts?

Granite_33
06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I have done that inspection / replaced the old impellers. My impellers disintegrated and made their way into the fat sac.

Sorry I am about 1.5 hrs away from my boat and cannot provide pics.

However, by memory, the bottom panel comes out first, IIRC.
(At this point there may be side panels that have to be removed also)
The back panel has to be unscrewed from the fiberglass after that. About 4 screws in all. They are imbedded in the carpet, so you have to look for them.

You will see the pumps mounted behind this panel.

They are attached to the boat via screws / grommets that provide a resilient base to help with vibration.

If memory serves, one of the pumps was mounted horizontally, the other with the pump pointed down, so I had to unscrew that pump.

The cover plates that hold the impellers in the housing are easily accessed after that and easy to inspect.

On a side topic............
I could have sworn there was a comment made here a while back about someone increasing the gauge of the wire going back from the switch to the pumps to allow for more current to "break them loose". When the rotor is at a standstill the amps needed to get the pump running from a dead stop spike (Locked rotor amps / current). With too small a gauge wire, not enough current is carried to the pump and that may be the cause of the issues. (How that interacts with the breaker, though I do not know, not sure what amperage they are rated for)

Hope this helps.