PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Port Issues

skibug
05-30-2010, 01:04 AM
09 MC 197 TT - Had rudder port replaced once because of excessive play. 26 hours of operation later; again excessive play. Was told to grease through the zerk fitting of the rudder port to correct the problem. Grease oozed out the under side of the rudder port (under hull). I know how grease fittings work and normally this would not alarm me; but, this is an application that is meant to be submersed. This means there is a constant water path to the greased bearing surface and the grease will continue to dilute and dissapate with use. This does not make sense to me. If this is the intended design; i will have to grease the rudder port monthly. This is not stated any where in the maintenance schedule; much less on a monthly basis. Anyone else out there with a similar issues?

glassmaster
05-30-2010, 01:01 PM
09 MC 197 TT - Had rudder port replaced once because of excessive play. 26 hours of operation later; again excessive play. Was told to grease through the zerk fitting of the rudder port to correct the problem. Grease oozed out the under side of the rudder port (under hull). I know how grease fittings work and normally this would not alarm me; but, this is an application that is meant to be submersed. This means there is a constant water path to the greased bearing surface and the grease will continue to dilute and dissapate with use. This does not make sense to me. If this is the intended design; i will have to grease the rudder port monthly. This is not stated any where in the maintenance schedule; much less on a monthly basis. Anyone else out there with a similar issues?

I don't know about an 09 but on my 87 there are 2 "0" rings in the mount that the rudder goes in, one on the top and one on the bottom that might keep the grease in if it applies to your application. As far as the play greasing is the only thing I know of.
Don't know if that helps but someone is sure to come along and point you in the right direction.

TMCNo1
05-30-2010, 02:15 PM

IIRC, OJ Props makes the rudders and rudder port assemblies now and it may be best to talk to Eric there, http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us