PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Maristar Power Loss

BallBushing
05-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Just put the boat in today. Had a tune up last fall, started right up, has full tank of fuel (with Stabil) , temp, oil pressure, battery all fine. Problem started late last fall and is only when the rpm's reach 3K and above. The engine starts to lose power & rpm's fluctuate between 2.5 - 3K. I'm thinking clogged fuel filter (last replaced in '05). I believe the only filter is IN the gas tank and a pain to replace. Any suggestions? Is a fuel filter replacement a DIY job or are special tools required?

goodelsha
05-28-2010, 11:22 PM
I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago for the 1st time...I have a 2000 Prostar 205V, and was able to get to it w/out any problems, no special tools needed....I left the 2 orange fuel lines attached, installed the new filter and gasket, then tightened back up. Probably took me 2 hours or less...

LaRue
05-29-2010, 12:28 AM
i beleive that is the only fuel filter. Changed fuel filter in 2000 Maristar this sprinig. No more than 45 minutes. pretty simple and straigtforward. sorry no pics.

BallBushing
05-29-2010, 07:05 AM
I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago for the 1st time...I have a 2000 Prostar 205V, and was able to get to it w/out any problems, no special tools needed....I left the 2 orange fuel lines attached, installed the new filter and gasket, then tightened back up. Probably took me 2 hours or less...

Your picture looks exactly like mine. What parts did you order (just filter & gasket)? & where did you order from? Just to make sure, is the filter the round silver part at the bottom? I'm assuming it's best to change it when the gas level is low. Thanks

bturner2
05-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Hopefully JimN will chime in here but I haven't heard of anyone having a fuel problem fixed by changing the filter on this system. Unless something went terribly wrong in the tank those metal filters are pretty hard to plug up.Typically it's the pump that goes bad.

Any chance of getting a fuel pressure reading on the fuel rail? A low or fluctuating pressure will most likely point to the fuel pump. If you have good pressure the filter and pump are not the problem.

Good luck. Hope it's something small and inexpensive.

LaRue
05-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Your picture looks exactly like mine. What parts did you order (just filter & gasket)? & where did you order from? Just to make sure, is the filter the round silver part at the bottom? I'm assuming it's best to change it when the gas level is low. Thanks

filter is the silver part on bottom and comes with gasket. Local MC dealer should have them in stock. Less gas the better.

mtajpa
05-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I would recommend you replace the pump also if your are going thru a filter replacement. I would agree with earlier suggestion about getting fuel pressure readings at idle, mid throttle, and wide open throttle. Sounds like it hasn't ever been changed at least since 05. May save ya a tow!

Great info on pump replacement here!

BallBushing
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Good news! Over Memorial Day weekend started her up & in neutral revved the engine to 4K a few times, sounded smooth. Took the boat out and opened it up, ran perfectly. In fact, never ran better. At 5K rpm hit 46 mph with 5 adults on board. Maristar 210 VRS w/330 hp. Must have been some crap in the lines