PDA

View Full Version : Brother in law story from last weekend

samgreazy
05-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I guess about the first of Apr i finally grew up and bought a mastercraft..... Best idea I ever had other than having my daughter..... Anyways I had a 1999 regal 19 ft it had been in my family since brand new but I needed to recover the funds from my boat but family comes first and my sister had been begging me for the boat so I broke down and gave it to her with a small monetary trade. So they kept saying they needed my help the first time out so I agreed told them what ramp I would be at and they made it out around noon on Sunday. I wasn't paying attention to my phone till I saw them pulling up next to me riding a little low in the water so of course you can imagine my first question....DID YOU PUT THE PLUG??!! And his response.....what is a plug?? I thought wow what have I done needless to say I sam over there quickly and put the plug inthere for them luckily hey found me when they did haha.... Oh yeah and as he pulled up he ran over my new Benny G rope haha so stay away from the red regal if you see it out...... Anyone else got any good brother in-law stories???

strad
05-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Around Christmas, my brother in law was complaining because he thought his car had a "loud" exhaust, so his dad asked me to take the car for a spin and see if I could figure out the source of the noise (his dad is fully capable of diagnosing it himself, but for whatever reason asked me to do it). Sure enough, I jump in and as soon as I get on the freeway I diagnose a bad rear wheel bearing. Six months later he's just getting around to installing a new one -- and money is not the issue lol. He's mechanically not very bright. When I get a boat I'm not lending it to him.

That's funny about the plug though -- my stepfather took us fishing, put his boat in the water and was driving the truck to park it, when the two of us noticed a LOT of water in the bottom of the boat. My brother stuck his finger in the hole while I helped him quickly locate the plug. And then we had to bail the water out b/c it's a 14 foot boat and doesn't have a bilge pump.

JimN
05-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I guess about the first of Apr i finally grew up and bought a mastercraft..... Best idea I ever had other than having my daughter..... Anyways I had a 1999 regal 19 ft it had been in my family since brand new but I needed to recover the funds from my boat but family comes first and my sister had been begging me for the boat so I broke down and gave it to her with a small monetary trade. So they kept saying they needed my help the first time out so I agreed told them what ramp I would be at and they made it out around noon on Sunday. I wasn't paying attention to my phone till I saw them pulling up next to me riding a little low in the water so of course you can imagine my first question....DID YOU PUT THE PLUG??!! And his response.....what is a plug?? I thought wow what have I done needless to say I sam over there quickly and put the plug inthere for them luckily hey found me when they did haha.... Oh yeah and as he pulled up he ran over my new Benny G rope haha so stay away from the red regal if you see it out...... Anyone else got any good brother in-law stories???

Why do people think they should take their first boat out before any training? That completely baffles me.

Willski
05-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Yep. Almost every first timer does it. Even some veterans. I did it a few years ago with my boat. Can't believe it. I've had my boat 13 years. I boated with my parents and others since I was about 10. Forgetting is one thing, not knowing is another!

ahhudgins
05-28-2010, 10:34 PM
I still hang my plug in the ignition keychain. My son is usually in the boat when I'm backing it down the ramp. I ask him at least twice "Did you put the plug in?"

Honkity Hank
05-29-2010, 09:53 AM
There is a plug?

I spent about 300 hours restoring a 1960 Lyman runabout a couple of years ago, finished it in time for a week at the lake with the extended family (bad idea but that is another story). After a few days and at my wife's suggestion I let the brother in law take his girls out tubing. After a little time on the water he came in and completely ignoring how a boat steers put the starboard side of the boat into the dock, ripping a nice size hole in the newly restored hull. Not such a big deal except I was completely tired of working on the old gal, and now it needed another month in the dry to fix again.

ShamrockIV
05-29-2010, 09:04 PM
i forgot the plug in my 83 s&s. it was an expierence!

JohnE
05-30-2010, 08:58 AM
i forgot the plug in my 83 s&s. it was an expierence!

Sorry Sham, we are going to need your BIL to tell the story.:D

absolutezero
05-30-2010, 10:15 PM
When in high school, my dad had a boat that he'd let me take out with my friends. I took it out every weekend and always followed a solid routine. It was important for me to stick the the routine because no one else had a clue and I basicaly had to do everything. for some reason i must have been in a hurry to get out one weekend and forgot the plug. I realized it about 2 min after getting the boat off the trailer. Luckily, since no one else did any of the work and I hadn't moved the truck off the ramp yet, it was still sitting there and I was able to get the boat back on the trailer.

needless to say, it was the one and only time I ever forgot the plug. It took forever for all the water to drain out of the boat. I didn't tell my dad that story for a couple years...

I don't have a brother in law story, but I do have a couple wife stories. 1. After doing everything myself for a long time, I decided my wife can at least pull the truck and trailer out of the water. so the first time she did it, she some how backed up too much and poked a hole in the back bumper with the crank handle used to pull crank the front wheel of the trailer. 2. I had my wife take control of the boat once to get away from the dock. for some reason instead of going backwards, she went forward and then decided to turn before hitting the shore. Unfortunately, this meant she turned the back of hte boat into the shore. Next sound was ding, ding, ding, etc. and a lot of yelling from me. We laugh about it now, and she's actually pretty good at handling the boat , but I still don't let her handle the boat around docks, the shore, or busy conditions :)