PDA

View Full Version : Center Ballast Pump Relocation on 07 X2

bturner2
05-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Has anyone relocated the center ballast pump on their 06 and above x2 from the vertical mount location? I've read on here that the way it's currently mounted water will seep into the motor and burn it out. I've seen that the newer boats have relocated the pump so that it's horizontal which makes sense and doesn't look all that hard to do. What I need to know in order to get everything set to do the modification is......

What size ID hose is used for the ballast pumps?

It looks like I'll need a 90 degree fitting (at least that's what was on the 2010 boat I looked at). Does anyone know what size fitting I'll need for this?

Anyone know a good place to get these fittings?

I've been also considering moving the two back ballast pumps to the new location behind the motor as it's a pain to get at them in their current location. I'd be interested to see if anyone has tackled that project too. Thanks!

tr6coug
05-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Just to clarify, you only need to relocate the center ballast pump if the pump head is mounted above the motor. In my 07 X2, the center ballast pump is mounted so that the pump head is below the motor. The rear pumps are mounted with the pump head above the motor. I'm planning to change these to horizontally mounted. I'm pretty sure the hose is 1" ID. Also be careful of the original hose that is used, if it kinks, it will leak. The hard plastic coil in the hose will break and puncture the side walls.

Thrall
05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I looked briefly at doing this on my 06 after hearing about the leaking past the seals. Seems like an easy way to extend the life of the pumps....but will require some more hose, 90's etc.
The question I have is since these are reversible pumps, could one not just flip the pumps, hook the hoses back up (opposite flow) and just swap wires on the switch so fill is fill and empty is empty again? (or even loosen the switch and rotate it 180 deg?)

bturner2
05-28-2010, 02:17 PM
The pump head is located above my motor. The 2010 version has the pump mounted horizontally and uses a 90 degree fitting to maintain the original hose locations. I'm going to head over to home depot and see what kind of fittings they carry. I'm sure there's got to be some other places to get this fittings.

Thrall
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Any thoughts on just reversing the wiring and flipping the pumps, rather than re-plumb with extra fittings and hoses?

bturner2
06-01-2010, 06:22 PM
That sound reasonable to me. A lot better than extending the hoses and finding 90 degree fittings ect. Has anyone out there done this?

Captain Fronk
06-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Agree waht Thrall recommended ... if you dont want to cut the wire to change it, look next to the Jabsco timers (below the Port rear seat custion.
The timer and wires to the pumps are only "pressed" together. Just open that small metal bracket .. change blue and orange and "repress" or better soft-solder it

cheers Captain Fronk

Thrall
06-05-2010, 11:20 AM
So, you've done this? Works fine?

bturner2
06-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Thrall, I was hoping you'd have this done by now so I could do mine. You have to wonder why the factory would have done this instead of going with all the extra plumbing. Seems too simple. Maybe that's the problem.

I was actually thinking about relocating the two back pumps as well to the location the newer boats have them. They'd be easier to get to and look to be mounted in a position that the pumps were probably designed to be in. Don't know if I'd have to glass in mounting plates or if the transom is thick enough to mount directly to it.

It'll be another couple weeks before I have the boat back in the driveway so I have some time to line up any updates/projects. Just need to get any new parts before I bring it back home.

Thrall
06-07-2010, 09:31 AM
No, haven't got to it, no boat time this summer it seems. Does seem to simple to work or they woulda thought of it before??
Wouldn't even need to re-wire, just flip pumps and switch on "empty" when you want to fill.