PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Strip around Mastercraft Tristar 190

cadi1@charter.net
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Any suggestions on how to fix the bumper strip that goes around the edge of a 1991 MC Tristar 190 WT? Previous owner must have come in hot at the dock and it stretched it enough so that the back left corner of the boat, the strip is like hanging out of the strip insert. I try to put it back in with pry bar and rubber hammer and it comes out days afterward. I am wondering if a heat gun would make it easier to insert the strip better? I thought about putting a short screw through it but don't want to make it look even worse. I do not want to spend too much money on getting this whole strip around the boat replaced either. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

wheelerd
05-28-2010, 12:24 AM
I replaced the rubrail insert in my 91 Tristar just before I sold it a couple of weeks ago so I have a bit of experience that might help, although not exactly your situation.

If your rubrail (both insert and rigid backing) is still generally OK (ie. not gouged or severely damaged) I would recommend pulling the insert out from the stern joint, then around the rear corner where it is hanging out and then part way up the side. Then, using a blower dryer to heat it and make it malleable, reinsert it back into the rigid outer part all the way back around. See if that stays in place. You may find that everything fits back together perfectly. It's pretty hard to stretch rubrail. If you end up with a little extra overlap cut that off as it will be covered by the cap on the stern joint. But only cut as a last resort -- you can't replace what you cut off!! Be careful with a heat gun -- a blow dryer is safer.