PDA

View Full Version : Maristar 230 ballast

fraser25
05-27-2010, 05:24 PM
We are planning on putting and integrated ballast system in our 2000 maristar 230. We are planning on putting two seven fifty sacs in the rear but arent sure what to put in the front. I am thinking about one of those integrated bow sacs that goes under the seats and wraps around and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them, such as how well do they fit and can they be filled right up or how much weight can you get out of them with the space you have to work with. We are planning on using three jabsco water puppies for filling and emptying. Any help and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows where to find good deals on all these things would help! thanks a lot.

Norm
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
just got my jabsco ballast puppys today (missing switches). looking to do the same thing w/ my '99 230VRS.

jdhunt0
08-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I have a 210 that I just finished my ballast install on. I currently have (2) 400lb sacs in the rear, (1) 370lb sac in the ski locker, and (2) 260lb sacs in the bow. I have (2) 750lb sacs on order to swap out the 400s in the back. Also, if I were to do it again I would have gone with the "U" shaped bow sac like you mentioned.

Jeff d
08-04-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm subscribing because I hope to add ballast to my '00 230 next season.

We threw two Fat Buddies (350 lbs each) in mine last Friday and it did pretty well. Only 700 lbs but it did firm up the wake some. Put one in the bow and one in front of the rear seat.

My current thoughts are 2 750 lb sacks on the sides of the engine, one U shape 650 lb bow sack and then even things out by experimenting with weight (as far forward as possible) in the ski locker. If I can't fit enough in the ski locker to clean up the wake and avoid porpoiseing I will throw a fat buddy or something on the floor in the bow when out with the boys and just underfill the 750s when out with the family.

From what I've heard/seen those bow sacks can't really fit 650 lbs without poping the seat cushions up. Not sure if that will be the case in the large bow seating area of the 230. So, I'm not exactly sure how much a "650 lb" bow sack would weigh when filled to the max level before the seat cushions pop up.

With all of that weight be sure to factor a more appropriate prop into the budget.

jconover
08-04-2010, 01:18 AM
What is the purpose of putting ballast in the front of the boat? i mean, it seems unintuitive to put weight in the front... maybe just because i've never tried it.

not to threadjack, but has anyone ever done anything in an older PS/190? there's all that space up on the bow, but i've never seen a sack appropriately made for it.

Jeff d
08-04-2010, 10:57 AM
What is the purpose of putting ballast in the front of the boat?

With a small amount of weight you can get away with just loading it in the back. When you start talking about 800+ lbs in the back end of a V-drive boat (Already rear heavy) it starts to become unbalanced. The results are a wake that curls over too close to the boat and or porpoising (Kind of like an I/O that's trimmed up way too high).

So, you add weight to the front to keep it stable and to "firm up" the wake back at riding distance.

BTW they do make large, triangle shaped bow sacks for closed bow or playpen bow boats. Those hold a whole lot of weight.

mcrowe
08-04-2010, 11:21 AM
In the maristar 230 hull I have found that a 60/40 rear/front ratio works best. If you run 750s in the back thats 1500lbs in the rear, you will need around 900lbs in the bow to compensate. If you run less then this I have found from experience that you will run into a few different probblems.
1- As stated above the boat will porpoise like crazy and this is probably the most frustrating
2- The speed is incredibly hard to keep consistent. With the 3400lbs of weight we run in ours it literally holds speed itself almost better than Perfect Pass.
3- You will take in water like crazy over the rear. Originally i ran around 500lbs on each side in the rear and it took on water over the back more often that it does now fully loaded.

I hope this helps, the wake on this boat is seriously great when you get it dialed in, and extremely fun. The more weight, the more beefy, and solid the wake gets!

mcrowe
08-04-2010, 11:23 AM
By there way here is our set-up:

750s on each side of the motor
650 onfloor
1200 bow filler

jdhunt0
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
1200lb bow filler? Can you give details? I'm working on dialing in my 210 right now and assume there are some similarities. I wold greatly prefer all the weight to be hidden, but getting that much in the bow without lead seems it would be nearly impossible.

mcrowe
08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-open-bow-sac.html

That is the bow filler sac, you just throw it in the bow.obviously you cant sit up there, but we only use it when riding. Also, most people think you need a bow filler cushion to use this bag. I usually just take an old board (short if possible) and lay it down across the seats to support the bag.

One thing to think about when adding all of this weight. How far do you want to ride. If I want to ride 80+ feet the bag in the center (650) is a must. This far behind the boat the wake is big, but not solid (you seem to cut through it) without this bag. If you are riding 70' or closer, the 650 in the center can be eliminated. Even with weight in the rear and the front, the 230 hull really likes to be weighted fully. This means getting the keel (lack of a better word) of the boat weighted.

On top of all the other riding pluses, when you weight a boat like this it simply cuts through all that weekend chop!

jdhunt0
08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
There is no chop where I ride :)

I ride 70' @ 23mph, with my current setup (look in above post) the wake falls apart behind me, at maybe 72' to 73'. I have ridden with a the above weight with a 600lb sac in front of the rear seat and it made a HUGE difference. I'm hoping the 750s will give me a similar wake.

Jeff d
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
By there way here is our set-up:

750s on each side of the motor
650 onfloor
1200 bow filler

This has me wondering if I should forget about the 750s in the rear. We usually have lots of kids on the boat and they can't sit still. Having to have that many bags in the passenger compartment wouldn't be acceptable.

What about this:
2x 750 in the rear
650 in the bow
370 in the ski locker

Would that not be heavy enough in the front?

I want a stealth ballast system that doesn't affect the family functionality of the boat. Maybe I just need to go for the pair of 400s in the rear and the V shaped 650 in the bow. I'm actually happy with the wake even though there's no ballast currently.

jdhunt0
08-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I have a pair of 400s for sale if you are interested, just send me a PM.

mcrowe
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
This has me wondering if I should forget about the 750s in the rear. We usually have lots of kids on the boat and they can't sit still. Having to have that many bags in the passenger compartment wouldn't be acceptable.

What about this:
2x 750 in the rear
650 in the bow
370 in the ski locker

Would that not be heavy enough in the front?

I want a stealth ballast system that doesn't affect the family functionality of the boat. Maybe I just need to go for the pair of 400s in the rear and the V shaped 650 in the bow. I'm actually happy with the wake even though there's no ballast currently.

I think this would be a good set-up, this way you can still compensate for the weight in the back. I forgot to add that I no longer have the locker sac, but that is a good plan. Also, with this set-up if you get a boat load of people your wake will be really great! You would be surprised; everyone says the x-30 has a wide wake, but if you deal in the wake and line length the wake shape compensates for the width very well.

mcrowe
08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Lets see your setup when your done! I just ordered 6 Tsunami 1200 pumps for mine, I cant wait to get it all wired up again!