PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seat rebuild

slickwater1
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I have done some looking but was wondering how much trouble it was going to be. I am hitting it wide open this afternoon. I have all the original stuff just going to replace the wood and re-staple. what do I need to use to attach new wood to styrofoam. and Does it have to be treated wood, If I take the seat out and dry every time off the water.

markismm
05-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I used gorilla glue and it worked fantastically because the glue does not eat the foam and sticks really well. My seat is sturdier and more rigid than it has ever been. And yes, I would certainly use pressure treated ply wood - as thin as you can find. Finally, be sure to drill some drain holes in the area where the back rest meets the bottom of the seat. This should be all you need to allow it to properly dry when used.

markismm
05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to tell you - make sure you have plenty of clamps available to bend the wood where need be, and depending on the thickness of the new wood, you may have to cut some of the foam off to adjust for additional depth. I had to cut away some. Be sure to use stainless staples.

slickwater1
05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Ok got my bottom wood put in this afternoon with Gorilla Glue. I will finish putting the new wood in tomorrow. I finally found some stainless staples at the lumber shed. Any hints on the stretching of the vinyl. And also I could not find pressure treated plywood but used BAMPLY that is a premium laminate used in tile work. hopefully it will last a few years before having to do again.

slickwater1
05-28-2010, 08:00 AM
woke up this morning and man gorilla glue expands like crazy. but it is holding on pretty strong. got to finish up the new wood this evening after work and stretch vinyl in the morning so that we can use the boat this weekend.

americanskierJim
05-28-2010, 08:36 AM
The gorilla glue is the best thing to use. I used it on my rear seat when I rebuilt it. Take some pics of your new seat we would like to see how it turns out.

slickwater1
05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
will post pics later

americanskierJim
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Here is my rear bench that my friend and I built.

psychobilly
05-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Is that marine plywood???

americanskierJim
05-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Psychobilly, It is FIR wood marine grade just like the floor. The seat bottom that pulls off is not it is just 6 layer plywood.

glassmaster
05-30-2010, 02:02 PM
will post pics later

What year boat do you have?
I would like to see your pics.
I need to build a seat frame myself.

psychobilly
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Psychobilly, It is FIR wood marine grade just like the floor. The seat bottom that pulls off is not it is just 6 layer plywood.

sweet choice. Sorry fer doubt'n ya. Dang nice job yer doing. I'll shut up now. hehehehe