PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot / Ski School - Post your experience here

Honkity Hank
05-27-2010, 12:42 AM
I am thinking of taking my son (11 years old) on a little adventure down to Florida and attending a barefoot school. I have emailed Swampy at the World Barefoot Center (Keith St. Onge) and get an email a day from Lane "Dawg" Bower since I bought my boom from him. His 3 minute videos are interesting by the way.

What I am hoping is hearing about your experiences with any of the schools in Florida (although any school experience is good too).

Our goal is get in better ski shape this summer (my son is just learning and I have not skied in over 30 years) and do a school in the fall.

Thanks

87MCProstar
05-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Hank, that is a good topic I can't wait to hear some of the feedback, because I would love to get to a barefoot school as well.

j2nh
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Big thumbs up to Lane Bowers, my daughter and I have been multiple times since she was around 11. Excellent with young and old "kids" and just a very nice guy. Good communication, organized, top equipment, very safety conscious. Spend some time with Lane and you will make a friend for life.

03 35th Anniversary
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I have been to Keith St.Onge's. I was a great time he also is great with kids.

captain planet
05-27-2010, 10:00 AM
My local dealer, Boat House Marine, sponsored a barefoot school with Keith St.Onge summer of 2008. The classes were based out of our boat club on Berlin Reservior in Ohio. There were 3 of us from my boat club plus two other people in the class. 5 footers plus Keith for 8 hours in an X-14.

It was worth every penny I spent on the class. My two footin' buddies would say the same thing that it was the best thing we ever did to improve our footin abilities. Keith is a great guy and if he were ever in the area again I would take his class again without hesitation.

Having never taken a class before I didn't know what to expect. Keith basically corrected all our fundamentals in the morning and in the afternoon we were able to work on anything we wanted to. I almost got up backwards that afternoon. It was great. If you have any interest at all, dump your doubts and take the class. It is great. I have a thread on here somewhere about the class I'll see if I can find it.

captain planet
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25046&highlight=barefoot+clinic&page=2

Here is the link to the thread from that clinic.

Jim@BAWS
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Highy recommend Keith St Onge in Winterhaven

http://www.worldbarefootcenter.com/ski.html

Tell em Bay Area WaterSports sent you

Jim@BAWS

06197ttlq9-footer
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
You are definitely on the right track by getting into great shape before going down there. I have footed with Scarpa and St.Orange(;)) and was in Winter Haven to ski with lane and his appendix bust and with no reservations KSO took our entire crew. Both are great to ski with and will give you the attention you need. If I were you I would book a day with each. Monday with KSO, Wednesday with Lane and Friday with Scarpa(and make sure you Ron is going to be in the boat). I chose that order because KSO will give you and your son great PRO-level techniques as a base and you will be fresh. Lane is also very instructional but not currently competing he will take the time to expand on any technique you are week with and ad a different approach. Finally Ron, ski with Ron last because it will be the most fun you have ever had. He is hilarious and you will leave WH with a smile on your face and plenty of sore muscles. We have gone for a week at a time for years and skied every day, If you can't long line for two or more miles non stop, don't even try to ski five days in a row. Those days in the boat are long and brutal all the things you cheat on back on your lake are going to come to the surface and KSO and Scarpone are going to exploit. You will tumble up till you can't climb back in the boat so if you want to work on something other than starts.....You better have that stuff down before you get there. Practice a very clean front position( little or no forward spray and you can see your toes). This will be the start for any tricks. Also this summer foot until your feet cant take it, then ride a slalom ski until you need help getting back in the boat. It all helps.

I would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Again I have not trained with lane but I have watched his videos and do believe he is just as capable as the other two.

Honkity Hank
05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Again I have not trained with lane but I have watched his videos and do believe he is just as capable as the other two.

A little more background on us. Neither my boy nor I are accomplished skiers. Patrick skied for the first time last weekend (boom no long line yet). I have not skied in 30 years and did 3 or 4 sets on slalom on the boom (while teaching my wife how to drive). Perhaps barefoot school is a reach for the fall but we all need goals in life, no matter how long.

Am I dreaming, maybe, delusional, maybe, motivated, yep.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-27-2010, 08:34 PM
You'll have a good time and be glad you went no matter what your level or where you go. I've skied with KSO and Paul Macdonald from Scarpa's and both do a great job with all levels of skiers. Several years back, I was in the boat with Paul when he taught a woman who had never been up on skis before. If you head to Scarp's, you would certainly enjoy a day with Paul every bit as much as Ron.

Spend the summer working on your goals but plan on making the trip to ski school. A couple of days there will be worth many weeks of skiing on your own no matter what level you are at.

Jim@BAWS
05-27-2010, 09:51 PM
A little more background on us. Neither my boy nor I are accomplished skiers. Patrick skied for the first time last weekend (boom no long line yet). I have not skied in 30 years and did 3 or 4 sets on slalom on the boom (while teaching my wife how to drive). Perhaps barefoot school is a reach for the fall but we all need goals in life, no matter how long.

This is my SISTER IN LAWS father . This is her dad BANANA DICK Let this motivate ya

Jim@BAWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSfLNfur4uI&feature=related

06197ttlq9-footer
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM

I don't think being a great accomplished slalom skier with make you a better bare footer however being in shape from skiing as much as possible will. Bare foot central has a locate a footer page that may help you find someone locally to help you. the fundamentals (three point position, proper barefoot position and speeds) are crucial in the initial stage. If I were you I would go, You won't be disappointed and the earlier you can foot with a pro the better. This summer I would make it a goal to learn the tumble up(videos on BFC) off the handle and boom. ORDER NOW Shoe skis for KSO. Each of you need a pair that fits. Dream big brotha all it takes is desire.

Also you can use a handle like a swing for your son, he will foot the first time, no problem. I was at KSO-world barefoot central Saturday, Got a new suit, shorts, and shoes! Hit me up on Facebook wade masters maryville tn. I can show you pics of the swing method.

Honkity Hank
06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
ORDER NOW Shoe skis for KSO. Each of you need a pair that fits. Dream big brotha all it takes is desire. .

Any recommendation on shoe skis?

Hit me up on Facebook wade masters maryville tn. I can show you pics of the swing method.

I tried Facebook but my account is not working properly, I can see your page but can't send a message for some reason. PM me if you can.