PDA

View Full Version : Stalling Engine

bjackson
05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Alright, so after waiting for someone to get ready to go in the water, I'll start the engine let it run at an idle for a couple of seconds then try and bring it up to speed... but it stalls. I'll restart the engine and it will get up to speed just fine.

It'll do this randomly throughout the day. Any idea what might be causing this. Is it thermostat related? Is the engine being choked out? If so how do I fix this. Thanks

I've got a Power Vortec MCX 5.7L

thatsmrmastercraft
05-27-2010, 12:48 AM
There are a lot of possibilities here. First the basics. Plugs, wires, dist. cap & rotor, fuel filter, fuel quality (old fuel?), timing, engine temp, idle speed first come to mind. Any or a combination of more than one of these could be the culprit. Where are you at with being current on these items?

bjackson
05-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Changed the plugs last summer. For as long as I've owned the boat (since 2004 summer) I've never done anything with the wires, distributor cap and rotor or fuel filter.

The fuel is not old as I used it throughout the summer last summer and had to fill it up a bunch of times as a result.

I'd have to look into the timing, engine temperature and idle speeds. I can't remember what the temp and idle speed usually run at. I want to say the engine temp is usually 160 F and idle is usually around 900 rpms. I'll be able to get that info when I put the boat in the water not this weekend but next.

markismm
05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I would check your air/fuel mixture and I would also check to make sure choke is working properly (coming on when supposed to and going off when supposed to). Does it do it when it is cold only or just randomly when cold or hot?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Just changing the dist cap and rotor will make a huge difference. If you take the cap off and look at the contacts they will look all fuzzy. Use a slotted screwdriver to scrape that build-up off and it will help until you replace the cap & rotor. You are due for a new set of plug wires too. Not sure as to the location of the fuel filter on your boat. JimN or someone will be along to let you know how often to change. I put a new set of plugs in every year and a new dist cap & rotor every other year. Cheap insurance to keep the boat operating properly.

bjackson
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll start why changing out the plugs, wires, and distributor & rotor and take it from there, see where that gets me. Thanks for your help guys

JimN
05-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Changed the plugs last summer. For as long as I've owned the boat (since 2004 summer) I've never done anything with the wires, distributor cap and rotor or fuel filter.

The fuel is not old as I used it throughout the summer last summer and had to fill it up a bunch of times as a result.

I'd have to look into the timing, engine temperature and idle speeds. I can't remember what the temp and idle speed usually run at. I want to say the engine temp is usually 160 F and idle is usually around 900 rpms. I'll be able to get that info when I put the boat in the water not this weekend but next.

Your idle speed should be about 650 RPM, not 900.

Start bt making sure the cap/rotor are clean, the flame arrestor is clean, the battery cable clamps are clean and tight, your fuel is clean and you have adequate fuel pressure. You should have 30 psi.

bjackson
05-28-2010, 10:25 AM

Start bt making sure the cap/rotor are clean, the flame arrestor is clean, the battery cable clamps are clean and tight, your fuel is clean and you have adequate fuel pressure. You should have 30 psi.

Alright I'll make sure of that, next weekend. Thanks for the help.

bjackson
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM

I ended up changing my distributor cap and rotor, wires and spark plugs. I made sure the battery cable clamps were clean and tight. It appears the problem has been solved, no stalling.

My idle speed is just that, 650 RPM not 900.