PDA

View Full Version : Best 6.5" speakers

ntidsl
05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
To all you speaker gurus...replacing my mb quarts which 2 of 4 have blown after lots of abuse and i wanted to get all the opinions. i am looking at memphis audios marines and also seems to be alot of talk about the wet sounds. i have a 197 TT with the jl sub under dash and 4 speakers in factory positions. I power everything with a kicker 5 channel amp. i just want to change out the 6.5" and do any adjustments to the amp that i have to do. the adjustments are actually beyond me so I'm having a guy from the local audio store moonlight the install of the speakers and adjustments on the amp.

opinions?

Kyle
05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I really like my JL's and I think that they make a 6.5 marine speaker. Mine are the 7.7's.

I had my boat out the other day and there was a MC out there with the old school JL and another one next to him with Wet Sounds. Both boats were really loud. The old school JL's do not sound like the new style as the new ones are awesome. The wetsounds sounded like there were way too much highs in every song. Every boat I have heard with the WS sounded like the highs were going crazy but the mids were kinda not there. Granted the WS can be heard from really far away and are LOUD.

I do not regret one bit running the JL's that I have. They have good mid bass and the highs are high enough for me. Your installer will know how to tune the xover and the gain on your amp. In my opinion from hearing the WS and my JL the sound quality was probably better with the JL but the WS may have been louder.

DBrown2
05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Kyle what interior speaks u running my factory clarion need help!

east tx skier
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Just in case you are looking at both ends of the price range, I'll toss Polk into the mix. They can be had for not a whole lot of coin and sound very good.

EarmarkMarine
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
The JL Audio marine coaxials are very smooth and natural sounding with minimal coloration or false emphasis. Another very musical coaxial is Focal. WetSounds, Bullet HollowPoint and Polk MM are all great options. Also, Exile is soon shipping their new in-boat offering for those who want a matching presentation with their tower speakers.

Some boat owners prefer a little extra treble kick to offset their positioning or to contend with the wind and noise competition when underway. But that extra kick that enhances percussion and provides a distinctive quality can also make vocals sound extremely strident and shrill. I prefer the smoother speakers with a touch of EQ when underway.

David
Earmark Marine

Kyle
05-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Kyle what interior speaks u running my factory clarion need help!

I have 7.7 JL Audio in my boat. The only speakers that are not the 7.7 are the JL non marine 5 1/4 that have been cut into my dash and the JL 12" W6 sub. Every speaker is JL though. My speakers are not components but coaxial and can be seen in my albums.

My boat came with 2 6.5 speakers in the back only. I cut the side boards out a little to fit a bigger speaker and also had to cut new holes up by the front driver and passenger seat. I also took soapy water and sprayed it down the channel of the front glass and pulled the windshield up a litte. This gave me room to use a air saw and cut out for the 5 1/4 to fit in my dash. I then slid the glass back into place and put the top cap of the frame back on. I did not have to remove the windshield from the boat, just the top cap that runs across the top edge on a 190. You got to make sure that the speakers have enough power going to them.

BrianM
05-27-2010, 07:31 PM
I have been very impressed with my Infinity 6.5 marine speakers.

east tx skier
05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I have been very impressed with my Infinity 6.5 marine speakers.

I had some in my old boat and they sounded very good. My 5 channel amp is an infinity. I was a bit concerned it was going to be a bit underpowered on the sub channel. But it seems to do very well without even needing to be driven too hard.

BrianM
05-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I had some in my old boat and they sounded very good. My 5 channel amp is an infinity. I was a bit concerned it was going to be a bit underpowered on the sub channel. But it seems to do very well without even needing to be driven too hard.

I run mine just on deck power and then have a sub and amp. The Infinitys sound great and keep up with the sub just fine.