PDA

View Full Version : 99 xstar idles but wont accelerate

curry154
05-26-2010, 10:30 AM
looking for some input ,have a 99 xstar with the 350 ,the boat has no power to accelerate ,i pulled the fuel pump and the pump seems to be working ,,not sure about the fuel pressure ,i went ahead and replaced, the fuel filter but no change , any input about fuel volume or am i going in the wrong direction..... thanks for any help !!!!

rem_pss308
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Check your fuel Pressure with a gauge.
should be about 35-40 at idle

also on the fuel pump motor. there is a screen. It could be stopped up.

Could be plugs, and wires. and also the coil packs.

if the engine wont accelerate in neutral. what does it do when you push the throttle? this will help when others chime in.

curry154
05-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Check your fuel Pressure with a gauge.
should be about 35-40 at idle

also on the fuel pump motor. there is a screen. It could be stopped up.

Could be plugs, and wires. and also the coil packs.

if the engine wont accelerate in neutral. what does it do when you push the throttle? this will help when others chime in.

the boat seems to run fine for about 1 minute, you can accelerate in gear and out of gear but after that it starts loosing power in gear ,but out of gear you can rev the engine up , i did check the screen at the pump ;seems ok..i dont have a fuel pressure guage so i was wondering the gpm ratio of the pump ,, thanks again !!1

rem_pss308
05-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I would spend the $35.00 at an autozone or parts store and get the fuel pressure gauge.
It was a good investment for me.

You need to know if you have constant fuel pressure.

It should read the same at idle, mid throttle, and 3/4 throttle

If it does, then I am at a loss as to why it runs for a moment then losses power.

But it sounds like you are not getting enough fuel.

Have you cleaned your spark arrestor. Maybe if its really dirty it could not be getting enough air.