PDA

View Full Version : X2 vs X-Star 06-09 in rough water????

GregS
05-26-2010, 12:53 AM
I spoke to someone today...and they said the X2 is better in rough water. Is this true?

I just test drove an 2008 X-Star today....nice boat mechanically....they just did not take care of the outside. Boy it was rough!

If the X2 is better..and I only really lose a little bit of space...I might go to the X-2. Seem like there are a lot more of them on the market.

Thoughts?

sand2snow22
05-26-2010, 01:15 AM
X2 construction is a little different, so it might be better. X-star is a bigger boat, tho, so that might help the ride. Where are you located?

GregS
05-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Richmond VA.

MattsCraft
05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
I spoke to someone today...and they said the X2 is better in rough water. Is this true?

I just test drove an 2008 X-Star today....nice boat mechanically....they just did not take care of the outside. Boy it was rough!

If the X2 is better..and I only really lose a little bit of space...I might go to the X-2. Seem like there are a lot more of them on the market.

Thoughts?

Greg - I read your other post too. I have a '09 X2, rough water ride is very good, and I will compare it to my Cobalt 200 on the rough ride ability.

As far as the comparison to the X Star, two totally different boats. The cockpits are almost identical in configuration, with the X star having a 6" wider beam. The extra space on the star comes in the rear lockers and bow only. With that said, the Star is a great boat, but tailored to Wake Boarding only in my opinion. Before I purchased I considered the Star, however if you want to do other things (Ski, Surf, Board) etc. I feel this is not the right boat. For the price, and function it is hard to beat the X2, which is why I own one.:D From competition perspective, none of the V drives outside of the 14V will give you a 190/197 flat wake. The X2, í06 up will give you the closest transition/multi-function boat on the market. I am a recreational skier and the wake with the plate and a light load is fair, OK for my capabilities. But with a family that wants to do many things, ski, board, surf, and well ok if you must tube any of the Vís outside the star are great. We have ours sacked up for the boarders and surfers and nobody complains that they need a bigger or cleaner wake!

Lastly, with all of that said you mentioned 12 people, X2 is rated at 12, no way, 8 adults is a full boat in my opinion. For that many people you will need to go up in size (Size matters, lol:D) and forgo decent ski wakes. I like the new 25, but for us, our next boat will be a 55 hands down due to wanting /needing to take a big crew!

I hope this helps you, happy to share any additional experience with you, just shoot me a PM.

Cheers

FancySauceRules
05-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I have spent many hours driving both. I don't think one is so much better in rough water to affect your buying decision. However, the X-Star is more likely to take rollers over the bow as it does sit lower at very low speeds.

GregS
05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I think if its that rough out...I will sit on the dock and have an ice cold beverage. Thanks for the help.

CottagerGreg
05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
What do you mean by rough water? Everyone's opinion is different?

We talking a 1 foot chop or like 3 feet swells?

Xstar take em double-ups like a champ

GregS
05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Looking for an X2....2006, 2007, 2008, 2009...or a 2010. MINT condition.

sand2snow22
05-27-2010, 12:44 AM
I've seen this one. It's pretty close to mint!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/1752709244.html

LaRue
05-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Dang!!! She is sharp!

Jerseydave
05-27-2010, 03:49 AM
I own an X-star and my buddy has an X-2.

IMHO, the X-star rides better in the rough and has a better wake. Heavier boats usually ride better than lighter boats in rough water. Fill the KGB tank for the best ride.

The X-2 is more nimble in the turns and is a better ski boat than the X-star will ever be, but ride and best wake go to the X-star.

GregS
05-27-2010, 07:02 AM
I wish it wasn't on the other side of the universe....Portland....I am assuming Oregon....I am in Richmond VA. NICE BOAT!!!

MattsCraft
05-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Greg - Check out this one, '08, might be out of your price range, I have seen this boat, it is in great condition and a little closer to you.

http://www.cincymc.com/boats/inventory/

Thrall
05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
The X2 sits real low in front at rest too. IMO, it's easier to take a roller over the bow than my 190 was, however I think it handles the chop really well, 2-3' anyway, never had it in rougher water than that. It's still not a V hull by any stretch, but comfortable in hte waves.

GregS
05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Looking at 2010 right now....seems like it makes the most sense. New...no issues from previous owner!

sand2snow22
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Looking at 2010 right now....seems like it makes the most sense. New...no issues from previous owner!

Ha, ha! Previous owner may have taken better care of it than the factory. Just saying'. New boats can have issues 8p

Smoothie
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
If your looking new I would throw the X25 in the mix. From the sounds of it a better multi sport boat than the X Star. Probably priced out between the x star and x2 just a guess.

GregS
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I haven't found one of those owners.....every boat I have looked at was abused....too much money...and not enough sense. Maybe they had easy money....who knows.

The X-Stars seem to get trashed the most...maybe because they are hauling a bunch of young kids on Mom or Dads boat....beating the crap out of the sides and loading them up with an extra 3000 lbs....so the motors are getting a work out too!!! X-2 seems to be a better family type boat.

Just my .02.

Dad 2 3
05-28-2010, 01:10 AM
The X-Star has tracking fins the X2 does not. My experience is that the Star holds better in a tight line while the X2 will wash out. However, the Star does not have a trim plate nor is it an option where the X2 does have the option. An X2 with a trim plate partially to fully down pushes the front end down and through the chop smoother than the Star. The Star sits lower in the water and will take water over the bow if you don't know how to drive it effectively.

Summary - Star is like a Porsche - responds better, but isn't as forgiving if you don't know how to handle her. The X2 is like the Mercedes, more cushy and forgiving but certainly wonderful as well.

sand2snow22
05-28-2010, 01:16 AM
^^ Good post, where in the PNW are you? Funny how BU claims their boats handle better than MC. For another day.....

GregS
05-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Bought an 2010 X-STAR....what a great boat!!!! If you are looking to buy a MasterCraft...go to Bay Watersports!!! Located in MD.

Thanks

McFred
06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi,

i am long now looking around and asking people, but i guess the people who actually awn the boats must know best, thats why i entered the team talk here...

so it is mentioned that the x2 is a better waterski boat than the xstar will ever be...
BUT how much can u compensate with the xstar if the wakeboard factor and surfing, rough water etc etc is so much better??? is it indeed so much better?
is it even possible to create a relatively small wake on the xstar for wateskiing? so u could i.e. ride slalom turns on high speeds for fun?

so which really is the best boat to primarily have fun, wake surf, and be able to ski...

mccobmd
06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi,

i am long now looking around and asking people, but i guess the people who actually awn the boats must know best, thats why i entered the team talk here...

so it is mentioned that the x2 is a better waterski boat than the xstar will ever be...
BUT how much can u compensate with the xstar if the wakeboard factor and surfing, rough water etc etc is so much better??? is it indeed so much better?
is it even possible to create a relatively small wake on the xstar for wateskiing? so u could i.e. ride slalom turns on high speeds for fun?

so which really is the best boat to primarily have fun, wake surf, and be able to ski...

Most on here would tell you the X15 with the wake plate is the best of the bigger boats to do it all, that being said at faster speeds the wake flattens on any of them.

mccobmd
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I should have added I have the X1 because it does all three well but sacrificed more room and better rough water ride and my dream boat is an X-star. But my wife likes to slalom and if mama's not happy, no one is happy.

GregS
06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
The X-Star is the way to go....at 30 mph...its a really nice wake to cut through, if you are a good skier. You should be cutting through what ever wake that is there anyway and if you pick up the speed to 32-34 its even better. Then when your done with that, fill up the boat with people and add some ballast and surf or wakeboard!!!!!! Good luck.