PDA

View Full Version : installing new teak

NoMoreBeggin MC
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
So I recieved my platform and brackets( thanks to teak world, and alloy marine), upgrading my 82 stars and stripes. I am looking for suggestions on what kind of hardware to use to attach it with. The top of the transom mounting plate will be above the floorline in the boat but the bottom will not. I think for the top holes, I would like to dill holes thru the transom and put a washer,locking washer and then a nut, and i guess some lagg screws for the bottom... Any other suggestions? am I on the right track...

Also the brackets have to go on the ends of the teak right? not in the middle section here is some pics....

NoMoreBeggin MC
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
here are the pics

Kyle
05-25-2010, 08:17 PM
The brackets should go on the outer edge of the lift rings on the back. I have the fold douwn style but where the brackets sit can be seen in my albums if you need a pic.

I would install the brackets first and then install the teak to the brackets. I would through bolt the top holes and put a backing plate or aluminum on the inner boat side of the transom. This will help make it strudy and make the pressure spread over a bigger area instead of a washer and nut. I would use Stainless and on mine I used a nylon locknut to hold everything tight.

Measure several times and use a level to help.

If you put the brackets on the teak and then put it on the boat it will not be square or sit flush.

NoMoreBeggin MC
05-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Love the led's!!
was thinking about a backing plate, would home depot carry something I could use for this?
Also, your transom plate is attached below your floor line were you able to get to the inside of he transom on yours?

Kyle
05-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah the led's are fun and I am glad you like, thanks.

I am sure Lowes or HD will have something that you can use as a backing plate. A piece of aluminum will work fine and be a lot cheaper than the SS. I used aluminum that was about 1/4 inch thick and it was about a 3" tall by 6" wide piece and it worked great. Just put your bracket on the plate and mark the holes and cut a wide plate to fit. The bottom holes are not through bolted on mine. I used some SS lag screws as they are below the floor line. I also bought 3M 5200 marine sealant and put it around the bracket and the holes to keep water from seeping into the boat.

NoMoreBeggin MC
05-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I have an uncle that has some 1/4 inch aluminum that is the perfect size for me. Where could I find marine sealant at?

Kyle
05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I found mine at Home Depot in the painting area. It is sold in a small tube about 10 bucks. Ask for 3M 5200 marine sealant and they should know. If they dont have it West Marine should.

NoMoreBeggin MC
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds good Kyle, thanks for the help. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get her put back together

tph
05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I have an '83 and I am interested in removable brackets. The ones you have look like the ones I investigated a few years ago. Do they disconnect by lifting the part connected to the platform off of the part connected to the boat? If so, how does that work with the "D" rings on the transom? Are you going to cut slots in the platform to clear them?

NoMoreBeggin MC
05-29-2010, 07:47 PM
I wasn't concerned with it being easily removable. I have plenty of room in the garage. I just wanted something sturdy. But it does interfere with the hooks in the back, but I can unscrew the platform if I need to take it off for whatever reason. Happy with the results, it looks great. Thanks kyle for the help. I'm gonna see if I can upload a picture,

NoMoreBeggin MC
05-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Here they are. Took me minute on the blackberry