PDA

View Full Version : Air Filters

Dougsster
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone ever converted their 330 ltr from a strait flame arrester to marine grade air filter
flame arrester?

I have been looking at K&N and am not sure if anything they offer will fit.

Thanks,

Doug

MariStar-Man
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I have the 330 LTR. i don't even know where the air filter is...lol

jmcentire
05-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Not done it, just wondering why you want to go from your f/a to a more restrictive filter...I've never been to a dusty lake :D

Dougsster
05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a couple issues with my flame arrester...

The breather tube which was glued to the bottom leading edge has come off several times do to its poor design.

The flame arrester is dirty at the end of every season so I have to believe if it is getting dirty some of that dirt is going through the engine.

A good cotton gauze air filter with more surface area will flow better than that tiny little
flame arrester plus the air will be cleaner.

Maristar man, the flame arrester is attached to the throttle body right beneath the support for your ski pole on the starboard side. Follow the hose from the starboard valve cover forward and it will lead you straight to the flame arrester. You will probably find it dirty!

Thanks anyway,

Doug

MariStar-Man
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Follow the hose from the starboard valve cover forward and it will lead you straight to the flame arrester. DougI'm Maristar-Man Not Toucan Sam...lol :D

Thanks for pointing it out. I will definately check it's condition. I asssume, due to it's condition i got her, it hasn't been cleaned or checked.

jmcentire
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Makes sense, if my f/a was getting dirty I would probably want to switch to a filter also.

Have you tried the "search filters by dimension" on the k&n website? I have used it before for a custom application(then cross referenced their part# with the brand I wanted :))

Jesus_Freak
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
A good cotton gauze air filter with more surface area will flow better than that tiny little flame arrester plus the air will be cleaner.

Not disagreeing with you here, but since that cotton filter will have much smaller pores than the holes in the flame arrester (cleaner air that you noted), you will to have at least triple (wild guess) the surface area just to break even on the air throughput.